As long as they are doing something practical (besides making $ for their CEO).

They're also making money to feed themselves and their families, or maybe working their way through higher education.  When the boss says, go play with the Cub Scouts, one goes and plays with the Cub Scouts.  It's part of being a team player on the job.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Go for it. I think the more society mixes, the more tolerant it becomes.   Back in the 80s, in the UK, I was in scouts, we had a weekend camp for our troop at a small campsite owned by the municipal

I see no issues with it.  They were decently dressed and appropriate.  This is a non-issue.

Gosh! Seems to have kicked off a bit!     I'm sorry you've chosen to take that interpretation. I'm a fellow scout, you are my brother*, rest assured I meant no offence. Having moral values, and tr

Posted Images

... Michelle Kettleborough, mom to a 7-year-old cub scout who attended the camp, told KMGH said she was in disbelief when she picked up her son and noticed him wearing a Hooters hat.

"I step back for a second, and I take a look and I'm like, 'Are they wearing Hooters visors? Wait a minute,'" Kettleborough said. "Quite honestly we're questioning whether we're going to keep him in the organization at all next year."

Marsha Corn, another concerned parent, told KMGH she thought that the "philosophies" of the Boys Scouts and Hooters were "polar opposites."

"We love the Scouts, [but] we think they made a very poor choice," Corn said. "And what I would like -- and what I think would go a long way, again -- is some accountability."

Corn said the local Boy Scouts chapter dismissed her concerns when she wrote an email asking about Hooters' sponsorship of the camp.

According to the email reply obtained by KMGH, a district executive with the Boy Scouts told Corn, "The restaurant assisted with the costs of putting on the camp, and through their community volunteering several of their waitresses donated their time to help staff the camp. Glad to hear your son had such a good time."

A spokesperson for Boy Scouts of America in Denver told KMGH in a statement that a "group of trained volunteers mistakenly wore the wrong attire" to a local Cub Scout Day Camp. The spokesperson added that the issue "was addressed by our Council leadership" and that "[w]e extend our apologies for this mistake and look forward to continuing our mission of serving youth in the Denver area."

I suspect Council is keeping the money but sending a contingent of uniform police to sweep the Cub Scout Camp. :laugh:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/parents-outraged-learn-local-hooters-sponsored-cub-scout/story?id=40325654

Edited by RememberSchiff

(Besides from the comely lasses looking like high schoolers)

I personally do not patronize Hooters because I do not like the objectification; as is my right as an american. However by all reports the ladies seemed clad respectfully enough and all in all not something to get in a tizzy about. Are we against Heterosexuality now? I suspect it was more of a distraction for the adults.

I have been to other scout and church youth outings where the girls wore much shorter shorts. 

Michelle Kettleborough, mom to a 7-year-old cub scout who attended the camp, told KMGH said she was in disbelief when she picked up her son and noticed him wearing a Hooters hat.

"I step back for a second, and I take a look and I'm like, 'Are they wearing Hooters visors? Wait a minute,'" Kettleborough said. "Quite honestly we're questioning whether we're going to keep him in the organization at all next year."

...another concerned parent, told KMGH she thought that the "philosophies" of the Boys Scouts and Hooters were "polar opposites."

"We love the Scouts, [but] we think they made a very poor choice," Corn said. "And what I would like -- and what I think would go a long way, again -- is some accountability."

Corn said the local Boy Scouts chapter dismissed her concerns when she wrote an email asking about Hooters' sponsorship of the camp.

According to the email reply obtained by KMGH, a district executive with the Boy Scouts told Corn, "The restaurant assisted with the costs of putting on the camp, and through their community volunteering several of their waitresses donated their time to help staff the camp. Glad to hear your son had such a good time."

A spokesperson for Boy Scouts of America in Denver told KMGH in a statement that a "group of trained volunteers mistakenly wore the wrong attire" to a local Cub Scout Day Camp. The spokesperson added that the issue "was addressed by our Council leadership" and that "[w]e extend our apologies for this mistake and look forward to continuing our mission of serving youth in the Denver area."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/parents-outraged-learn-local-hooters-sponsored-cub-scout/story?id=40325654

Second attempt at posting...

Edited by RememberSchiff

Really, where I'm from, the two go together as a 7-course meal, a six-pack and pizza.

We now only have one pizza "parlor" here in town and that's Pizza Hut.  We do have Little Caesars and Dominoes but those are sit down establishments.  Now when I was a Kid we had Pizza Inn and they did serve beer but they closed up many years ago. 

Our Pizza Hut sells beer.

many years ago ours did as well, Ironically our Chucky Cheese in Memphis sells Beer haha.  There is a notorious video that went viral sometime ago where these women were all drunk and fighting. 

I would be outraged, too.  I don't like bait and switch.

It is a lot like turning on a wholesome TV show for the kids, and then discovering that it has a very unwholesome commercial.

When I put on the "Andy Griffith Show", I don't want to see explicit commercials for a little blue pill.

BSA should have more sense than advertising Hooters at a Cub Scout camp.

It's the equivalent of a Budweiser-branded water station.

I guess I don't see the problem with this either.  Maybe it's because I grew up in Wisconsin, and it seems like every non-chain restaurant, bowling alley, VFW, etc. has a sign supplied by a beer vendor.  I've seen plenty of fairs and festivals with banners supplied by beer vendors as well.  It's so prevalent around here that I think the sign that I would notice would be the one without Budweiser, Miller, or another beer vendor's logo on it.

With that said, I'm living proof that the signs and logos aren't the reason people become alcoholics.  For the most part, I don't drink.  Maybe 1-2 adult beverages if I'm on a weekend campout with the family (and that's on maybe 20% of my campouts at most), but that's about it.  I rarely have alcohol in the home and don't order it when I'm out.

A logo is just a logo, not a trap set to corrupt the righteous.

Edited by meyerc13

Pride.  Yep.  Proud to be a Scout.

Envy.  Yep. Wish my big sister looked like that.

Wrath,   See mom in news article.

Gluttony,   Better to go to Golden Corral  for the All-You-Can-Eat....    

Lust.   Ah-hem. Eye of the beholder, the log in your own eye....

Sloth,   Don't think so.  Look at those girls work....

Greed.   Ummmm, no. they worked at the CSDC for free, yes?  

Edited by SSScout

This is being discussed in I&P already. I merged it with that thread. Schiff must have thought the forum ate it, but I ate it.

Schiff. I'd like to merge this one as well, unless this thread has a differently angle of discussion than the "So this happened" thread.

many years ago ours did as well, Ironically our Chucky Cheese in Memphis sells Beer haha.  There is a notorious video that went viral sometime ago where these women were all drunk and fighting. 

Our Chucky Cheese does as well.  Not many fights, though.  :)

@@meyerc13 

It must be a Wisconsin thingy.  I don't have a problem with any of it and I grew up in a German community where beer was as much a drink as was Coke or Pepsi.  It just wasn't a big deal.  Every small town has it's beer tent in their annual celebration.  Signs with beer sponsors are a normal part of every day life.  It's just not something people around here get all that worked up about and we tend to be very conservative/rural in nature.

If I am out socializing for any occasion I am the designated driver.  I'm not a tea-totter by any means, I enjoy my cold beer after mowing the lawn on a hot day, but It doesn't even register in my everyday life as being good or bad.  It's just there.

Every street corner seems to have it's bar and surprisingly, the Hooters closed its doors after a few years' run.  The reaction in town was, bars come and go all the time.  No big deal.

Our Chucky Cheese does as well.  Not many fights, though.  :)

I believe if I remember correctly you live up north some eh?  Down here in the south we have people that just don't ever want to act right no matter where they are with their 10 kids and a Family Establishment is no exception.  Beer has been removed from 2 of the 3 establishments for this very reason. 

I know we have gotten off topic and it isn't on purpose.  For the records I see nothing with selling alcohol or the consumption of it, one of my local FOS supporters are a Budweiser Distributor.

• Upvote 1