Rather than banning commercial sponsors, it would be much more practical to simply inform the parents and unit leaders in advance.  Let them make an informed decision for themselves.

I would definitely pass on a Hooters sponsored event.  That's my choice.  You choose for yourselves. 

I totally agree. I knew a family who skipped an NRA sponsored activity; seems only fair. But it does get messy fast.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Go for it. I think the more society mixes, the more tolerant it becomes.   Back in the 80s, in the UK, I was in scouts, we had a weekend camp for our troop at a small campsite owned by the municipal

I see no issues with it.  They were decently dressed and appropriate.  This is a non-issue.

Gosh! Seems to have kicked off a bit!     I'm sorry you've chosen to take that interpretation. I'm a fellow scout, you are my brother*, rest assured I meant no offence. Having moral values, and tr

Posted Images

Does that mean that if the range at the scout camp is a trained NRA range instructor they don't attend summer camp?  or just not take any of the shooting sports?

I used to work for an institutional food distributor, the local camp bought food from one of our competitors so I wouldn't let my son go to summer camp there.

Please let me know when I've reached the tipping point of stupidity......

Everyone's got a bone to pick with something.  Maybe we ought to just not worry about it and leave the due diligence up to the people who have all these secret issues that they have hiding in their closets somewhere and those putting in the effort just do what they do best, put on a nice activity for the boys.  Leave the political issues up to the parents to fight it out away from the boys.

I'll bet you a slice a pie (your choice) and a cup of coffee the council ran the issue up the flag pole to Irving.

Betting?

"I am shocked - SHOCKED! - that gambling is going on in here."

(I can't give credit to who wrote it, because I don't know who wrote it. But Claude Rains said it.)

Edited by NJCubScouter

Betting?

"I am shocked - SHOCKED! - that gambling is going on in here."

(I can't give credit to who wrote it, because I don't know who wrote it. But Claude Rains said it.)

LOL, you caught me NJ!   Heck, I'll pick up the tab just for the opportunity to shoot the breeze with you all, even if I lose the bet.

And Casablanca was indeed a great movie.

Edited by desertrat77

Applies to the shoes?

What about the outside label on blue jeans?

NFL apparel?

IZOD polo shirts?

Football team tape over Riddell on the helmets?

Where do the older kids park their cars if they can't park on school property?

Or is there a double standard just for the students?

Heaven help the kid who wears a cross on a chain around their neck.  But then that's not much of a branding logo is it?

Watch out Stosh; you will draw one of our past loud crusaders into the conversation.

There you go.  

If the restauranteurs had only worn the camp uniform,  there would have been no problem.  

Were they there as extra Camp staff, or as Hooter  people?  

There you go.  

If the restauranteurs had only worn the camp uniform,  there would have been no problem.  

Were they there as extra Camp staff, or as Hooter  people?  

They were there as corporate volunteers.  No different than when the company I work for does volunteer work.

They were there as corporate volunteers. No different than when the company I work for does volunteer work.

But when your company does volunteer work in someone else's house, so to speak, do you hand out your corporate paraphernalia to the beneficiaries without asking permission? And when you get back to your office, do you post pictures of your volunteer work on Facebook, to call attention to your good works?

Maybe you do. I'm just asking.

Edited by NJCubScouter

But when your company does volunteer work in someone else's house, so to speak, do you hand out your corporate paraphernalia to the beneficiaries without asking permission? And when you get back to your office, do you post pictures of your volunteer work on Facebook, to call attention to your good works?

Of course! Heck, when we went to national jamboree local corporations would load us up with swag ... Heinz pickle pins were an especially favorite tradable.

Maybe it is the combination of volunteers at a camp, and promotional activity that is the problem. If there is a problem. We still don't know exactly what the moms were complaining about. They evidently don't like Hooters, or their own perceptions of what Hooters is, but we still don't know exactly what their concerns are. This thread has basically been 11 pages about nothing... and counting?

Maybe it is the combination of volunteers at a camp, and promotional activity that is the problem. If there is a problem. We still don't know exactly what the moms were complaining about. They evidently don't like Hooters, or their own perceptions of what Hooters is, but we still don't know exactly what their concerns are. This thread has basically been 11 pages about nothing... and counting?

Well I will restate my concern. Are corporate groups which volunteer to help with scout program activities required to have YP, background checks, health forms, and join BSA just like the Mom and Dad volunteers?

Council said there was attire issue and a training issue. I don't see a problem with the former and I am concerned about the latter.

My wife goes on many of my outings as a safety on the water (she kayaks 2-3 times a week), naturalist (herbologist, forester, Master Gardener), etc., has passed background checks for other organizations, raised 4 kids in Alaska, and hasn't registered as BSA. Maybe she's not qualified to help with the boys. I will have to check on that.

The article I read said that they council said the Hooters women were "trained" whatever that means.

Edited by Stosh

Key word:  perceptions.   And I agree, we've gone 11 pages with little to show for it.

Perception (summed up from this thread):  that Hooters restaurants are staffed by half-clad trollops and patronized by leering drunks.   Our Cub Scouts should not be exposed to these Sirens, nor should the family name be sullied by association with said women, nor the brand they work for, at the day camp handicraft table.   The BSA and every member thereof is pure as the driven snow, and should never join forces with such an illicit, immoral establishment.  Plus, pretty women should not be objectified.

Reality (from my experience):   The image Hooters' PR department promotes is different from reality.   At the restaurant, though the wait staff wears tank tops and shorts, the result is hardly "revealing" and the ladies conduct themselves in a professional manner.   Men, women, children and families dine at Hooters without apparent mental or moral trauma.   The food is okay but borders on forgettable. 

Now, let's turn the discussion to something really important:  pie.    Apple or pecan?   What goes better with your first cup of coffee?

Edited by desertrat77

After the dust settles, it would be interesting to see Hooters' sales figures for July 2016.   I suspect those numbers will have increased.   Even with the negative publicity, I suspect many folks would appreciate the humor of the situation, and the fact they sponsored a good cause.

Yes, on both accounts.  Sometimes there's press involved, depending on the magnitude of the project.  If its three people fartin' around picking up trash in a park, they'll just be wearing company t-shirts.  If its multiple weeks of planning for an event involving hundreds, or even thousands, of participants, you bet your sweet Aunt May there's gonna be a presser and local news involved, and custom-logo'd swag handed out.

Corporations don't do anything purely out of altruistic intent.  Volunteerism is good PR.