• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Go for it. I think the more society mixes, the more tolerant it becomes.   Back in the 80s, in the UK, I was in scouts, we had a weekend camp for our troop at a small campsite owned by the municipal

I see no issues with it.  They were decently dressed and appropriate.  This is a non-issue.

Gosh! Seems to have kicked off a bit!     I'm sorry you've chosen to take that interpretation. I'm a fellow scout, you are my brother*, rest assured I meant no offence. Having moral values, and tr

Posted Images

So what's the problem?  Pretty women are bad for the boys?  Any one of these women can be a Cub Scout leader if they fill out an application.  People who have a problem with this are the same ones that started the slippery slope with exactly who gets to be a SM and who doesn't.  Get used to it.  This is how life is going to be from now on for the Scouts.

• Upvote 1

I haven't visited one of their restaurants in years.   I recall pleasant, professional waitresses (no risque/unseemly conduct), cold beer and very average food.

Hooter's image as a den of iniquity really doesn't match reality.

On the other hand, if the "Peek-A-Boo Lounge," centrally located near the interstate, sent a couple of bona fide strippers in their dancing attire over to Cub Day Camp, or insisted on public acknowledgement of a donation, that might be another issue.

Truly, the appropriateness is in the eye of the beholder.

I'll give the council this--they had the courage to accept the donation and allow the wait staff to help at day camp.   From what I can discern from the photos, everyone conducted themselves in a dignified manner.  

It's not like corporations are beating down the door to give donations to the BSA these days.   Or any other organization.   Sign of the times.

So what's the problem?  Pretty women are bad for the boys?  Any one of these women can be a Cub Scout leader if they fill out an application.  People who have a problem with this are the same ones that started the slippery slope with exactly who gets to be a SM and who doesn't.  Get used to it.  This is how life is going to be from now on for the Scouts.

@@Stosh, I'm tracking with your view point, but I'm still a bit unclear about the slippery slope/SM sentence.   I'm a little slow today, could you please expound just a bit more?

@@Stosh, I'm tracking with your view point, but I'm still a bit unclear about the slippery slope/SM sentence.   I'm a little slow today, could you please expound just a bit more?

@@desertrat77, sure, no problem.  I read the original news article on a website that handled comments to the article and the overwhelming tone indicated that once the BSA opened the door for a more relaxed stance on the homosexual issues, why are they now getting all that hypocritically excited about the heterosexual issues.  The Pandora's Box has been opened.  As a number of people pointed out, pretty girls, some of who could be Cub Scout moms are trying to make a living and their place of employment is doing something nice for the boys.  It is the hypocrisy of the adult mind that turns it into a negative sexual issue.  None of these Cubs are even aware of the issues the adults are bantering around. Pretty women = bad, homosexual men = good.  The rest of the comments pretty much went on to make a joke about the BSA's policies and attitudes.  Unfortunately I kinda agree with them.  I have no problem with any business out there that wants to do something nice for the kids being able to do so.  If the parents have their undies in a wad, then they can keep their boy home. 

Stosh, the two issues have nothing to do with each other. And while I don't know this for absolute fact, I would be very surprised if the Mom in the video who was complaining about the Hooters Girls had been involved in agitating for allowing units to stop discriminating on the basis of sexual orientation.

What I don't understand about this story is the local council's apology for anyone wearing the "wrong attire." I looked at the photos including the ones on Facebook, and I see no "wrong attire." I see three young-adult women dressed for a summers day in the outdoors. Though I could see an argument that the tallest of the three is wearing shorts that could be considered right on the edge of being a little too, well, short under these particular circumstances. But not blatantly over the line, so I don't see what the apology is for.

I think Hooters generally sends the wrong message about objectifying women.  Having said that, I recognize that they are a popular restaurant chain throughout middle America, and if a local business wants to sponsor a day camp and provide some volunteers more power to them.  As Stosh pointed out, to the Cubs this is just another group of adults helping out at camp.

Much ado about nothing, but outrage is fashionable these days.

..., to the Cubs this is just another group of adults helping out at camp. ...

Let's not underestimate the power of the male mind. I do remember certain conversations with my grade buddies starting in 4th grade ...

That said, inasmuch as potential centerfold models step into my life and disrupted my fantasy world by serving in some way in my real world ... They did me a lot of good.

I can, however, understand a parent's frustration at pictures of their child being part of a feature of a corporate website where most of the other features are waitresses of the month in bikinis. I don't believe that's what they had in mind when they signed a photo release.

Stosh, the two issues have nothing to do with each other. And while I don't know this for absolute fact, I would be very surprised if the Mom in the video who was complaining about the Hooters Girls had been involved in agitating for allowing units to stop discriminating on the basis of sexual orientation.

What I don't understand about this story is the local council's apology for anyone wearing the "wrong attire." I looked at the photos including the ones on Facebook, and I see no "wrong attire." I see three young-adult women dressed for a summers day in the outdoors. Though I could see an argument that the tallest of the three is wearing shorts that could be considered right on the edge of being a little too, well, short under these particular circumstances. But not blatantly over the line, so I don't see what the apology is for.

Well the two issues have nothing to do with each other, but that's not the perception given to the hundreds of comments to the news stories on non-BSA sites. 

The apology for attire was stupid.

As far as the photos are concerned, the parents did sign a release, if they don't want their kids photos on corporate sponsors, then don't send your kid.  Companies sponsor organizations like this for the media coverage and advertising.  If one didn't know Hooters was sponsoring the event, then one needs to do due diligence next time, the parents need to take responsibility and quit getting worked up about nothing.

If the local high school swim team sponsored a swim day at day camp and showed up in swimwear, are the parents going to be bent out of shape?  Sorry, modern norms are such that on any given night, these same boys are watching "stuff" on TV and or internet far worse than Hooters girls.

• Upvote 2

Of course the two issues have something to do with each other. Both issues force units chartered by conservative CO's to question whether or not they should participate in council/district run activities.

It cannot be automatically assumed anymore that a BSA activity is appropriate for our kids. We now need to carefully scrutinize each activity on a case by case basis.

Edited by David CO
  • Upvote 2