Floating The Ocoee River

I am thinking about bringing a trip from Ark over to SE Tenn to do a float trip on the Ocoee this Summer. Has anybody done this and if so what outfitter did you use? We would probably camp in order to save money so I'm also interested in campgrounds in the area.

Went down the Ocoee quite a few years ago. I don't remember the name of the outfitter, sorry. It was quite an experience, and "floating" is a rather gentle word for the experience I had. We lost two people out of our raft and had to pick them up down river. It was GREAT! I hope you and your group have as much fun as we did.

The Boy Scout Camp in North Georgia ( Woodruff Scout Reservation ) uses the outfitter Whitewater Express ( www.whitewaterexpress.com ) for the trips. All boys at the scout camp either go to the Ocoee ( older boys ) or the Nanthahala - in North Carolina for younger scouts. The Nanthahala is more of a float than whitewater trip. The scout camp serves about 600 - 700 scouts per week

The TVA releases water from the dam only on certain days - no water release on Tues and Wed, Middle Ocoee on M,Th,F and Middle and Upper Ocoee on weekends.

Yes, float is a relative term. All rafts have guides, and all participants are required to wear helmets.

There are a number of outfitters that handle the Ocoee: OAC, Wildwater Ltd, Ocoee Rafting, etc. just to name a few. Most have been around for a number of years, and many have cabins and camping on site. You take buses from the outfitters to the river. Many have additional activities that they offer as well: horseback, other rivers, climbing, rapeling.

The outfiter that the BSA camp uses - referenced above - also handles the horsemanship merit badge as a one session requirement. You may be able to talk to them about setting up one for you, too - if interested in trail rides or horsemanship.

As a side note, the 1996 Olympic Whitewater course was on the upper part of the Ocoee, not the part below the dam, where the raft trips occur.

Our Troop experienced the Nantahala, Chattooga, and Ocoee in 2002.  The Scouts voted on returning again this Summer...........so..............we're headed out again in July.

We use Nantahala Outdoor Center ( www.noc.com )as our pricipal outfitter............very experienced professionals, safety is top quality, and I happened to work for them on the rivers way back in the wild '70's.    We stay @ their basecamp facility on the Nantahala River (rustic cabins, with bunks, shower facilities, and a community kitchen) that is located @ their main operations headquarters.  I'd suggest trying the Nanatahala R. (fast Class 2 - 3+) for a break-in run, if this is a 1st time whitewater experience for younger/older Scouts.  We actually run the Nantahala twice the 1st day, and end the trip w/ a wild and wet ride down the Ocoee as we head home to Missouri.   Hope this helped you Eagle69. 

Greeneagle5 

Eagle69,

A few more notes :

The outfitter(NOC) in 2002 presented a Troop meeting program for our trip promotion by using a guide that lived in the St.Louis metro area.  His program included useful insight into what we would encounter on the rivers, equipment we'd use, safety procedures and equipment, and a general introduction to the region's natural history and geology. He also had hand-outs, and a great video. This speaker answered mega-many questions after the meeting and was appreciated by parents and Scouts. We took a group of 50+ in 2002.

The rivers are VERY popular, don't wait to contact an outfitter. We already have made a deposit and itenerary w/ NOC for July. Mid week trips are less congested but still busy and popular w/ large groups of summer camps. 

Ocoee is dam controlled(TVA) and has a water release schedule posted (TVA site) for commercail rafting outfitters.  Water releases are not every day so check w/ outfitter ASAP.

Greeneagle

Eagle69,

Wow, some of my favorite rivers have already been listed. The Ocoee is a great run but as mentioned already, you should use an outfitter and guide. Make your plans well in advance because its proximity to Chattanooga and Atlanta plus its use in the Olympics make it crowded in the summer. Actually, wall-to-wall people at times. I also like the Nantahala as Greeneagle5 suggested. It is fast, fun, and cold. The waters are dam controlled like the Ocoee but Nantahala Lake releases from the bottom so the water is winter cold. In the summer there is often a fog layer just over the water because of the temperature difference between the water and the humid air. Also, it is fast enough to run multiple times in a single day.

The Chattooga is more scenic and it was made popular by the book and movie, "Deliverance". And at one time, the story wasn't all that far off from reality. But today it is a National Wild and Scenic River that offers all levels of difficulty in three popular sections (actually sections III and IV are the best, II is just fun and for beginners). My advice for this river would be to put in at Sandy Ford just above the 'narrows' and take out just before Woodall Shoals. This includes some of the best of Section III and includes the fun beginning of Section IV (omitting the killers downstream). It's a fine run that includes lots of exciting rapids and drops and scenery including Bull Sluice (class V, but safe and fun). NOC can do this for you as well and they have a local outpost near the river. Also check with a company called Wildwater Limited.

To the list of rivers I would add: Nolichucky up in TN, French Broad (yes, that's a river), and the New River in West Virginia if you're up to it (but this is a really demanding trip). Some of my favorites are now unfortunately under water so neither you nor anyone else will ever see those wonders again.

Have fun and be safe. Drop me a personal reply when you make your decision and I might see if some local troops want to pow-wow with your guys.

Hello again...another thought came to mind. While you're in the area there are some other worthwhile sights to consider. First, you'll be in the same area as Ducktown, TN, the site of 'Copper Hill' a severely impacted area around an old copper smelter that has undergone decades of reclamation. When I first saw this area over 40 years ago (we don't need to dwell on the age thing), it looked like 'The Badlands' in miniature. Now it has recovered somewhat. But there's a visitor center that tells the whole story and it would be a great experience for anyone interested in the Environmental Science merit badge. A couple of years ago I helped with a high school biology text ('Biology in the Community', in case you use it) that used this story as one of the examples. I might be able to arrange for a local expert to give your guys a talk or tour.

If you happen to get up to the Great Smokies, the Cherokee Indian Museum in Cherokee, NC is a really nice place (the rest of the town is kind of tacky). The story is really gut-wrenching and they don't pull the punches. The boys might find it a little boring though, you'll have to judge their interests.

Also there's a folk art center in Murphy, NC not too far from the Ocoee. It has living artisans doing the real deal for blacksmithing, etc. That's fun too.

Finally, I assume you'll be coming through Chattanooga from some direction. If so, there's a great overnight wild cave experience at Raccoon Mountain (physically strenuous, led by guides). We have a couple of trips to this cave scheduled for this spring. There's also a wonderful aquarium experience at the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga, and don't forget...the Tow Truck Museum, also in Chattanooga (that's right, I said, "tow truck"). Hope this helps.

(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

I've did the Ocoee with a non-scout group several years ago and give it a white water thumbs up.

Sounds like money probably not an issue, but if it gets pricey you might want to look at the nearby Hiwassee River. Not the white water adventure the Ocoee is, but plenty of rapids, you have the option of doing the trip on your own (without guides), and probably less than half the cost in fees. I especially recommend it for younger scouts.

Trips like that are one thing I really miss about Tennessee. I've yet to find anything similar float wise in South Mississippi.