Hi, I'm A Camping Addict

Hi, My name is Eagle94-a1, it's been two years since I last went to summer camp, and I'm a camping addict.

And I will shortly be off to summer camp.  :D

Mixed emotions on it. On one hand, it's kinda of a homecoming as I worked on the camp staff for 2 years. But that was 17 years ago, and the camp has changed, a lot. Some of the changes I have concerns about.

Plus being a former staffer, I am a program freak and do not know if I will be able to Nap On Safely. ;)  When I went to a neighboring camp 2 years ago, I was in class all day getting the Aquatics Supervision classes.  I got two books packed, and I may pack a 3rd to be safe. But I have a bad feeling that I will be itching to do something.

Unfortunately I need to come home Wednesday night for work purposes, so I'll type then.

• Upvote 1

Eagle94, best wishes!

I too enjoy going to summer camp, just as much as I did when I was a scout.   Maybe more so now.

I'm an old camp staffer myself, but I've found that camp staffs of today somehow function well without my input! :) :) :)

• Upvote 1

I'm new to Camping Addicts Anonomous.  My name is Hedgehog and it's been 5 weeks since I've been camping.  I tried to convince my son to take me with him to NYLT this week, but he refused.  We're doing a 20 mile backpacking trek into summer camp in two weeks and I'm spending Sunday through Wednesday at Camp.  My job is to run interference with the other adults to give the boys an opportunity to lead.  :D  Well, that and encourage them to make some dump cakes and campfire pies.

Then at the end of the following week, I'm off for a 5 day, 30 mile backpacking trek.  Unfortunately, we're not doing any camping in August, but we've got a leadership campout and a Troop outing planned for September and a beach camping trip planned for October.  Some addictions just need to be fed. :p 

@@Eagle94-A1, I hope you enjoy summer camp and get to relax.  I'm curious how many books you get through.  I've never managed to even crack a single book.

Hi, My name is Eagle94-a1, it's been two years since I last went to summer camp, and I'm a camping addict.

And I will shortly be off to summer camp.  :D

Mixed emotions on it. On one hand, it's kinda of a homecoming as I worked on the camp staff for 2 years. But that was 17 years ago, and the camp has changed, a lot. Some of the changes I have concerns about.

Plus being a former staffer, I am a program freak and do not know if I will be able to Nap On Safely. ;)  When I went to a neighboring camp 2 years ago, I was in class all day getting the Aquatics Supervision classes.  I got two books packed, and I may pack a 3rd to be safe. But I have a bad feeling that I will be itching to do something.

Unfortunately I need to come home Wednesday night for work purposes, so I'll type then.

Well, I'm off to summer camp in a week.  I'll be the first one for me in 23  years.  (Well, not counting Cub Scout resident camp last summer.  Ha!).  And like you I went and signed up for both Aquatics Supervision courses.  Someone has to do it!

But, I *will* find time, some time during the week, to Nap on Safely. 

Hello my name is Jason and I am a Camping Addict!  Except in the brutal Southern Months of June-September when I do my best just to get outside and mow the yard.  After that I find myself in a hammock hear a spring most weekends.

Hello, my name is Stosh and I am a Camping Addict.  I make no bones about it and haven't been sober for years.  I use my house for sleeping whenever I'm in the neighborhood.  I have an enabling wife who is just as addicted as I am.  We are co-dependent.

One day I'll get clean, but today is not that day.

As a general rule, we require people to shower once a week at camp.   :D

As of last night, my son has taken the lead over me in nights camping in Boy Scouts at 65 nights.  I suspect that his lead will become insurmountable.  By the end of the summer, he will be at 79 nights.  I also think this addiction thing might be heriditary.

• Upvote 1

My name is old scout and I have on camping problem at all. Denial is not just a river in Egypt. My boys are chasing my camping count, but at 450 or so I think I'm safe for a while. I did lose the elevation record last summer by about 5,000 feet when scoutson #1 went climbing in Tibet.

• Upvote 1

Hi, my name is Eagle94-A1, it's been 1 day since I was at camp, I'm going back tonite ( pesky job got in the way) and I'm a camping addict.

WHAT A WEEK!

Camp didn't offer either Aquatics Supervision class. Talking to the AD, he said go ahead and take the BSA Lifeguard class, and whatever I did that transfers over to Aquatic Supervision Swimming before I leave, he'd sign off on. WWWWWEEEEELLLLL, with the horrible stormy forecast we had, BSA Lifeguard class started Sunday, not Monday. Spent every daylight hour the pool was regularly open either in the pool or on the waterfront going over skills and rescues. Nights was spent in the classroom. Since I was leaving early, I spent time guarding during mile swim practice to get my guarding hours in. I'm now recertified as a BSA Lifeguard after 20 years.

While I didn't have the fun of doing blacksmithing, rifle shooting, shotgun shooting, Nap On Safely, and other SM activities, I proved that this out of shape, slow, old fogey still has what it takes.1:12 for the weight retrieval and did the 25 yard sprint in 25 second (Barely making it, but making it nonetheless). Exhausted is an understatement, and surprisingly the should is doing OK. A little sore, but no major pain.

Going to pick up some pineapples to share with my fellow lifeguard candidates and instructors on the way back to camp to celebrate.   :p

My son, 14, has been in his troop just over 3 years now and has 96 nights of camping under the auspices and standards of the Boy Scouts of America. 

Oh, he has 24 more nights scheduled before the end of August! 

• Upvote 1