Cost of Class B T-shirts

So my son recently crossed over to Boy Scouts and I have to say we are experiencing a bit of sticker shock. But I can't bring myself to pay $20 for a class-B T-shirt. I have 4 boys so as a rule I don't pay more than $10 for a t-shirt. Plus, I was the one who designed and ordered our Cub Scout shirts so I know what's possible (I got very nice ones for only $8.50/ea locally). I think if you want to go above and beyond (multiple colors, print on both sides, etc.) you really ought to do a special fund-raiser so it stays affordable for all families. 

Am I being stingy? I am okay with getting reality checked. I just think families with one kid often don't think when making decisions like this. Granted, the shirts look great and maybe that's all anyone cares about.

What do you all generally charge/pay for t-shirts? Any suggestions for putting the responsibility for this decision back on the boys and teaching them to be more budget conscious in the future? I have only been there a month -- would be it overstepping my bounds to offer to price up a cheaper but similar alternative at the printer my Pack uses or should I hold my tongue until I have been around longer? (I hate to be that new parent that knows everything....)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We did brand new wicking shirts in the fall. Custom Troop logo on front (chest) and back (3 color screens on each side). From a local guy. Cost came to $12 per shirt. I always thought that ClassB was

In the words of my dear friend, Obi-wan Kenobi:  You must do what you feel is right, of course.

we pay $5.25 for cotton shirts and $7.25 for the high tech flammable ones.... bought locally, they're single color but custom photo or design.  Look good and are decent shirts.....   I'm with Stosh

$15 ($17 for 2X and above).  4-color silkscreen emblem on the front, 1-color silkscreen on the back, Gildan heavy pre-shrunk cotton (maintains size under normal washing for-freaking-ever, and wears like iron).  We order every two years, and keep a small number of common sizes in storage.  I still have one that's almost ten years old and is only slightly faded.

Get yourself invited to the next committee meeting and pitch your idea.

Edited by MrBob

Depending on size of order, the troop cost:

$8-10 for cotton. silkscreen one color (avoid cotton I say)

$10-14 for synthetic (yes, wicking), silkscreen one color (sometimes 2)

Agree, this is a good project for scouts but too often adults step in and gum it up - two-tone, front and back lettering, side stripes, embroidery, BSA vendor... ugh

Edited by RememberSchiff

I only have two boys and yes the cost for T shirts or polo shirts for activities really starts to get annoying especially when they start go north of that $10 mark. In Cubs it really got annoying when you get that leader who thinks the solution to waning interest in the pack is a new Tshirt design.

Once you hit Boy Scouts and depending on your climate the synthetic shirts really are better. I sweat a lot so I can go through 2-3 cotton shirts a day or wear one synthetic. Fortunately my current troop considers the Activity Uniform (Class B is not a BSA term) to be any plain Tshirt or scouting related TShirt. We have the option of purchasing the $16 synthetic one only if we want to.

I have loosened up a bit recently about it becuase my boys don't not have a problem with wearing their scout shirts to school or anywhere else so we get our use out of them. The Chior polo I had to buy that he only had to wear 3 times for shows kind of irked me.

On the plus side I really do like the BSA uniform shorts/swimsuits for $20. My boys pretty much live in them all summer though they last only two years before the chlorine eats through them as we spend a lot of time at the pool or water park.

$20 for a kid size I agree is a bit excessive. 3XL not so much. See is your son really needs or wants that shirt maybe he can help with some extra chores to ease the sticker shock. I am all about speaking your mind but pick your battles wisely, you don't want to be "That Guy".

EDIT: The more I think about this my suggestion is to wake up every morning and thank the Lord you did not have 4 girls and just write the damn check. :)

Edited by King Ding Dong

$20 is for the standard cotton Gildan variety... they are offering all kinds of other options but the prices only go up from there. Also kid sizes weren't even an option, only adult. My 11 year old still wears a youth M! That was another reason I decided to pass this time around. Makes me wonder though if they are only ordering exact amounts what they do for new troops when they ask that these shirts be worn at lots of events. Our Pack always kept some of every size on hand and re-ordered when common sizes ran out. This Troop orders new shirts every year and only for those that request one. So this will be a recurring problem. 

BTW... got an email tonight that they want us to buy another commemorative shirt for an anniversary celebration this weekend! Not buying that one either!  lol

If my boys want a T-shirt they can pick one up at the scout shop or summer camp trading post. They can wear them while lounging in camp. Otherwise it is the scout field uniform. Most boys pick one up the first year at camp and never get a second one.

... I have only been there a month -- would be it overstepping my bounds to offer to price up a cheaper but similar alternative at the printer my Pack uses or should I hold my tongue until I have been around longer? (I hate to be that new parent that knows everything....)

Sounds like a trap. First parent to speak up gets that committee position nobody else wants!

Tell them you are gonna spend the $ on cool neckerchiefs that will trade better years from now when your son goes to a World Jamboree.

$20 is high in my experience, but then Class B is high in my comparisons.  For moderate quantities I can usually get the Gildan "heavy cotton" at $10 -$12 ea and wicking at around $14 ea.  I use Advantage Emblem out of Duluth MN.  

One thing to be aware of with using a local shop: BSA Licensing.  If the design uses any BSA trademarked phrases or images, including the BSA "version" of the fleur dis le, it needs to be printed by a licensed vendor and approved by the licensing department.  There is a license option that, Im told, is pretty easy to get and allows a shop can do stuff for one unit only.  

See here for info then the "Doing Business with BSA": http://www.scouting.org/licensing.aspx

Edited by jjlash

$20 is high in my experience, but then Class B is high in my comparisons.  For moderate quantities I can usually get the Gildan "heavy cotton" at $10 -$12 ea and wicking at around $14 ea.  I use Advantage Emblem out of Duluth MN.  

One thing to be aware of with using a local shop: BSA Licensing.  If the design uses any BSA trademarked phrases or images, including the BSA "version" of the fleur dis le, it needs to be printed by a licensed vendor and approved by the licensing department.  There is a license option that, Im told, is pretty easy to get and allows a shop can do stuff for one unit only.  

See here for info then the "Doing Business with BSA": http://www.scouting.org/licensing.aspx

Don't use any of BSA trademarks such as "BSA" and the BSA "version" of the fleur dis le and there are no license fees to get passed to unit. For example Troop 154, Mytown, KS.

My 11 year old still wears a youth M! That was another reason I decided to pass this time around. 

My troop growing up made our own. We had a one color silk screen with the troop logo. PLC would pick the color for the upcoming year and they and the adults would buy the shirts and silk screen them in time for the Christmas party/ COH. Every year was a different color t shirt. We recommended to the younger Scouts to get them big so they could still wear it as they get older. As an young ASM, I still wore my T-shirt from when I was 12.

When I ran day camp, we got a screen, frame, and ink donated from a local shop. I bought the shirts from an outlet store for about $1.25 to $2.00 depending upon size. I had the Cubs make their own. It was fun, but cleaning the screen was a pain.

we pay $5.25 for cotton shirts and $7.25 for the high tech flammable ones....

bought locally, they're single color but custom photo or design.  Look good and are decent shirts.....

I'm with Stosh on this one....I'd prefer to encourage the "class a" more, but that's a hill that would certainly kill me..... never gonna win that one.

• Upvote 1