ROY POWERS EAGLE SCOUT: COMIC STRIP APPROVED BY BOY SCOUTS

I came across this by accident while doing some research, and I thought someone might enjoy this information.

Between 1937 and 1943, a newspaper comic was written with the authorized consent of the Boy Scouts.  The comic strip was independently done, but reviewed and approved by the Boy Scouts.  Below are a letter from James E. West regarding the beginning of the comic strip, and the first panel introducing the characters.

page19-1000-full.jpg

page19-1001-full.jpg

• Upvote 1

No one has noticed that the Boy Scouts approved Chunky - a FAT funny 15 year old Scout?  Apparently the physically fit = not fat crowd weren't around then and the BSA was being run by people who know that boys come in all shapes and sizes.

• Upvote 1

Now, That is something up with which I can put.  

Did anyone ever collect and publish a book of the strips?   Well, sort of. Not on Paper , it seems:   http://www.kenpiercebooks.com/powers.htm  

If you want you can find some of the comics in comic book form at the link below.  The "Roy Powers" comic is part of an anthology comic with several different comics.  This is the first issue that the comic appears in:

http://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=39924

No one has noticed that the Boy Scouts approved Chunky - a FAT funny 15 year old Scout?  Apparently the physically fit = not fat crowd weren't around then and the BSA was being run by people who know that boys come in all shapes and sizes.

As a calorically-challenged American, I have been telling people that you can be "fat but fit" for years, and no one believes me.  In some of the old comic books, you can actually see ads for programs to help you gain weight. 

As a calorically-challenged American, I have been telling people that you can be "fat but fit" for years, and no one believes me.  In some of the old comic books, you can actually see ads for programs to help you gain weight.

Send me some of those ads, I have been trying for years to fatten up my oldest. Almost 14 and weighs barely 70lbs, 1% body fat. I sometimes mistake him for a little green alien and have been considering a paternity test. :)

Send me some of those ads, I have been trying for years to fatten up my oldest. Almost 14 and weighs barely 70lbs, 1% body fat. I sometimes mistake him for a little green alien and have been considering a paternity test. :)

Your son should count his blessings.1.jpg

Some of the early literature of the BSA would not pass pass muster in today's world. Nicknames were common, and not always PC. Pee Wee Harris was not his real name, and that was one of the more benign ones.

Some of the early literature of the BSA would not pass pass muster in today's world. Nicknames were common, and not always PC. Pee Wee Harris was not his real name, and that was one of the more benign ones.

A lot of the comics show things that would not be acceptable today.  I thought about providing a warning, but I decided that everyone on the forum had enough mileage, that they would not need a "safe space" with teddy bears to deal with it.

A lot of the comics show things that would not be acceptable today.  I thought about providing a warning, but I decided that everyone on the forum had enough mileage, that they would not need a "safe space" with teddy bears to deal with it.

You thought correctly. Most of us here know that finding new words for old issues does little to make things better.