Emergency Preparedness BSA

Can anyone give me some pointers on how best to introduce Emergency Preparedness BSA? Details are here...

http://www.scouting.org/pubs/emergency/award.html

What I'd like to hear is who has done this and what did you find worked well? Several pack leaders and my Boy Scout son are attending a Red Cross first aid class later this month; my son and I will take CPR separately, then my husband and other son will take the classes. Expense is a big factor with first aid training--any tips for that? TIA!

I've looked into doing it with a Bear Den. The ARC BAT training is a minimum 6-hour class. I don't think that's doable with a den unless I do it in 10-minute increments from now until next September.

I've tried to find someone local that has done this with his or her boys and have come up empty. I suspect that many people are having trouble getting it done.

I did this with my Pack at the Sept. and Oct. Pack meetings. At the September meeting we had a McGruff presentation by a local officer. Then, at the Oct. meeting we had a member of the pack who is a fireman do a presentation on some emergencies one may encounter, i.e. a downed live wire. We broke off into group levels so we could make it age appropriate.

The rest of the requirements are being done at the den level. It gave them a good start to earning the pin.

Sparkie

Sparkie,

How are your dens doing ARC BAT and BFA. Each is requirement depending on the grade level? Also, BFA is I believe an 8 hour course and requires a certified ARC instructor?

The other pieces of the requirements are easy and well suited to a den or pack meeting, the ARC training portion is a different story.

Fotoscout, ARC, BFA and BAT are not required, but are 1 of 3 options (for Tiger, Wolf and Bear). I choose the McGruff route because of the age level. The Webelos dens are doing a presentation to the den. since McGruff was not an option at their level.

Sparkie

• 1 month later...

We just completed BAT with our very large group of 12 Wolves and 2 Bears. We only did the required 6 lessons (thought the boys would get bored doing all 12 lessong). We did 1 lesson at each Den meeting. The boys were suprisingly attentive and retained most of what we discussed, and actually seemed to enjoy learning. I'm also doing BFA and adult/child/infant CPR with the Webelos.

ANYONE can provide BAT training. The Red Cross has revised their "policy" after the agreement between the BSA and ARC. It states that any adult scout leader may provide BAT training and DOES NOT have to be a certified instructor. All you might have to do is purchase the BAT instrucor's manual and participant's manual. My ARC chapter just gave me the instructor's manual, charged us $2.00 per participant manual, and $2.00 per certification card.

I happen to be a certified instructor because I wanted to be able to teach CPR in the community, but like I stated - it's not a requirement for BAT.