I think noise pollution needs to be adressed. Few Scouters can nap without snoring which is detrimental to the mating habits of the wildlife.

For some, the noise is important.  The SM with a wee bit of apnea will need to have someone watch carefully over him in case a scout fresh off of First Aid MB rushes over and starts pounding on his chest.  This is a lot more detrimental to the sleeping habits of the SM.

• Upvote 2

RichardB doesn't throw hissy fits often.   And this isn't even close to the threshold.    I do agree with other posters that this is not complete as there is a noise hazard to be addressed, especially if this is a two plus deep situation.    

• Upvote 3

I thought I would have all sorts of time to nap and read.

not a bit of it.  I never even set up my hammock!

If I wasn't walking back, I was going forth

if I wasn't teaching a scout to tie a knot, I was getting ready to follow the scouts up to the dining hall.....

If I wasn't making rounds to take some pictures of our scouts, I was driving out to walmart for tarps (the tents were in bad shape and we had heavy weather)

I barely had a chance to sit all week, let alone nap.

I'm thinking I was doing it wrong....

yeah... I did plant the seed that it is possible to make your own summer camp adventure.  That we don't have to go to a dining hall merit badge mill camp

BUT I'll draw the line at this

I am really opposed to having the scouts cook my meals or clean up my dishes.

Our troop does this occasionally, and it screams WRONG to me....

The scouts are not my slaves

they are a team working to support each other.

& i just feel that as an adult, i should either be leading by example in doing my own & showing them from afar a good way to do it..... or doing it with the other adults to show them how to do it as a patrol.

• Upvote 2

:excl: The following reply may come off as surly and ill-tempered because the troop is at camp this week and I am not. :excl:

yeah... I did plant the seed that it is possible to make your own summer camp adventure.  That we don't have to go to a dining hall merit badge mill camp

BUT I'll draw the line at this

I am really opposed to having the scouts cook my meals or clean up my dishes.

Our troop does this occasionally, and it screams WRONG to me....

The scouts are not my slaves

they are a team working to support each other.

& i just feel that as an adult, i should either be leading by example in doing my own & showing them from afar a good way to do it..... or doing it with the other adults to show them how to do it as a patrol.

So, when a PL invites you to be a guest at their table, you're gonna snub him? In some parts, those are fighting words.

Show from afar? Like 100 yards? What on earth do you think they are gonna learn from that distance? Do you also teach knots that way? (Yes I know that has nothing to do with you're situation that you envision, but there is no reason this thread should be immune from our passion for hyperbole. :confused: )

Honestly, our boys never mind setting out another plate or two. I often show up at table with espresso (which the oldest scouts don't mind) and candy-coated almonds or some other ethnic treat (which the younger scouts don't mind, even if their curiosity has not yet overcome their fear of the unknown). We share some chit-chat. If the boys are talking full tilt on their own, I assume fly-on-the-wall position ... only speaking when spoken to. Then at meals end, I line up to clean my plate, porcelain demitasse cups, and gay-floral-pattern silverware, ask permission to stow it in their box if I'm scheduled to join them for the next meal. Then I return to my chair at the adult's camp and offer the old goats cold dregs if any are left in my pot.

• Upvote 1

@@blw2

Nah, the Old Goat Patrol cooks for itself on all the weekend campouts. At a Patrol Cooking Camp the Old Goats eat the Scouts food becuase they are serving as MBCs for those working on the Cooking MB. If a MBC will not eat the Scout's food he is doing something wrong. The nap part was a joke.

Some Dining hall camps do offer a Patrol Cooking option, you just have to look a bit deeper in the Leader Guide. Even if they don't you could try an negotiate a reduced rate if you skip the dining hall and go it alone. Nearly every family has at least one or two coolers and while not every grocery store carries dry ice you can still get it even in smaller cities. Just search on "carbonics"

Now this is assuming you have one or two Old Goats per Scout Patrol, if you are in one of those troops with a more 1:1 ratio you are still doing something wrong.

In addition there is no better way to show a scout you trust them than to eat their food and if you compliment their culinary skills you will never a bigger smile on their face.

Edited by King Ding Dong
  • Upvote 1

very different scenarios, those are....

and yeah, figured you were partially joking king Ding

Different scenarios....

invited..... well ok then

working as a MB counselor..... makes sense

inviting yourself, expecting, demanding.... this is what I have seen on occasion so I was reading with a bias...... and that's just rude in my book.... but that's just me, one man's opinion

@@blw2

Agreed inviting yourself etc. But at S-F in MO that is how it is works, the adults are split up with the patrols for meals. I suppose if you had enough adults for a patrol they could do it themselves.

We did do that one year when we had a lot of parent's attending camp. I think there was still a rotation for guests at the patrols. (E.g., eight adults ate with the old goats, four were invited as patrol guests.)

Regardless, the boy's cooking was no worse than the dad's, IMHO.

The one thing that I noticed in the dining hall scouts: more songs, skits, and goofy dances.