how to secure laptop at summer camp

First, I get the irony of starting this thread in a Scouting forum, given that the 1st point of the Scout Law is Trustworthy. Nonetheless, I'm interested to hear ideas of how you have secured your laptop while @ summer camp. I won't have the use of a footlocker. Other than carrying it with me in a daypack at all times, I haven't come up with anything else.  

There's password encryption. Which if a fella isn't using in this day and age, he's got bigger problems.

As far as physical security. Leaving it in a locked car is a possibility -- although that doesn't eliminate smash 'n grab. That's what I did. It added 1/2 mile walk to my day, but was pretty much worth it.

A cable lock around a tree is a possibility ... If you weren't surrounded by boys with saws and axes!

• Upvote 1

All camps I have been to allow the troop trailer on the campsite. That is were we keep the med box and only the adults and SPL have a key. Most likely your troop is going to have at least one boy on controlled substances so you need to hav some secure location unless your camp requires all the meds to be held at the health lodge.

Have not taken a laptop to camp, but have considered this security solution. :laugh:

Unfortunately Bryan's announcement about Puppy Scouts was on 4/1. Edited by King Ding Dong

Maybe one can just leave it at home and not worry about it.  I go into the woods to get away from such emotional teddy bear blankets.

If only employers would allow a true vacation anymore. Fewer and fewer do. My wife's doesn't.

What can be done about this?

I didn't include in my original post, but the ONLY reason I'll be taking my laptop, is because I'm unemployed and deep in the midst of my job search. Don't want to be 'disconnected' for the week, and potentially miss an opportunity. On the upside, I'll have the privilege of Scouting with my Scouts.

• Upvote 1

If only employers would allow a true vacation anymore. Fewer and fewer do. My wife's doesn't.

What can be done about this?

Priorities.... I closed out my working years before retirement as an administrative assistant.  I have a Master's Degree I hadn't used for 35 years..  Best working years of my career.  My second major job had me at a blood pressure of 250/125.  That didn't last very long either.

I didn't include in my original post, but the ONLY reason I'll be taking my laptop, is because I'm unemployed and deep in the midst of my job search. Don't want to be 'disconnected' for the week, and potentially miss an opportunity. On the upside, I'll have the privilege of Scouting with my Scouts.

Keep your laptop/tablet in the car.  Fire it up when needed and then put it back in the car.  If one is working hard finding a job, the extra little bit of walking isn't a big deal.  I've taken a laptop to camp, found it to be a nuance trying to keep it charged, same for the cell phone.  I used to take it along to download my camera of pictures at the end of the day when cameras had limited storage capacity.  Fire it up, down load and shut down.  I managed to keep it going for the whole week.  Camera had AA batteries so that wasn't a problem.

I just figured the car trunk as the safest, but it could get hot in the summer sun.

I think a much better option is to use your map and compass skills, put it in a dry sack and bury it the woods each evening while they boys are roasting marshmallows. Could even make a game of it. Give the boys some paces and headings and the first one to find it in the morning gets 15 minutes of Minecraft.

• Upvote 1

First, I get the irony of starting this thread in a Scouting forum, given that the 1st point of the Scout Law is Trustworthy. Nonetheless, I'm interested to hear ideas of how you have secured your laptop while @ summer camp. I won't have the use of a footlocker. Other than carrying it with me in a daypack at all times, I haven't come up with anything else.  

The other option is lock it in a car.  I'd probably carry it in a daypack. Why no footlocker?

I keep my laptop in my day pack too. I have a computer locking cable to secure the laptop and day pack to a table, tree or other secure feature. I also use a 2 gallon zip lock to keep it dry. I have a Sea to Summit sleeve too which keeps it dry and protected. I never leave it in a car or other area that might get too hot. I have seen components melt or be degraded by solar heat. If you camp has wifi ask what kind of connection they have. If they have satellite their bandwidth may be metered and get used up with all the parents online. Best to work offline and get on when you actually need to send/receive. Not everyone does that so bandwidth dries up pretty fast.

two of us had ours on our SC trip last week.

Mine spent time in my day pack, and also in my unlocked footlocker.  Toward the end of camp once it was clear that I really didn't need it any longer I put it in my truck.

I was not worried one bit about leaving my pack on an empty dining hall table while eating, or in the footlocker while I was out and about.  It was a boy scout camp after all....  and if you can't trust a  boy scout....

1) Heart of America Council does not allow troop trailers in campsites at either Theodore Naish or H Roe Bartle.

2) The best way to physically secure a laptop is to use a locking cable, and loop the noose over a portion of a picnic table (if outside promises little risk of wet weather) or a floorboard in your tent.

3) As far as securing your system and information, first encrypt, and second, put a complex user password to access the box in the first place.

4) With regard to blw's comment, with some businesses, and the US Government, it's non-negotiable to physically secure your laptop. :(

Edited by John-in-KC