son is on crutches, should he skip summer camp

Hi there, son had MRi on wounded knee in basketball and it shows a deep bone bruise.  Needs to use crutches for 4 weeks, no weight bearing on that leg.  Scout camp starts this Sunday.  His dad has a golf cart lined up to scoot him where he needs to go, but what about other stuff?  Waiting in line to eat.  goofing around on the grass, possible falls?

What would your suggestions be, please?  Don't be shy.

Ouch!

This is where a detailed conversation with your doctor (i.e. the orthopedist, not your family doctor) is important. No bone bruise is the same. And timing is everything. Your husband needs to precisely describe the camp situation with the doctor.

In general, staffers do whatever they can to make injured scouts enjoy their time. Your son will probably get dibs on the bench at the trading post, etc ... Also, patrols will do whatever it takes to help their buddy. That might include carrying a folding chair and footrest for him. Setting up a hammock for him. Getting ice. Etc ...

If this is the first injury he's had to recover from, one of the ASM's might have to keep an eye on him to make sure he's not pushing himself. Usually after a day, a boy will get an idea of how much shenanigans is/is not permitted. If your son is the generally compliant sort, this wont be an issue.

Generally speaking, most high-school boys find camp to be more restful than home.

All the best to your son!

Interesting timing since I just attended a presentation on this topic last night by both a Orthopedist (he consulted on my case a few months back), and  DPT. While I'm not a doctor, from last nite's presentation I would NOT send him to camp.

BUT I would second what Qwazse suggested: talk to an Orthopedist, or even a PT and get their advice. Trust me, you do NOT want your son to push it.

Edited by Eagle94-A1

Aye Carumba.  Dad will have a golf cart and take him from all points A-B.  He said that he is going to be with son most of the week and is going to watch him.  Not sure if I want them to go..............

I spent my first BSA summer camp on crutches for a bummed up knee.  Wear a brace to this day.  I got along just fine.  Few of the activities were restricted, but I don't remember it as being a big deal at the time.  Missed out on swimming, canoeing, etc. but the rest of the camp was okay.  No special treatment or golf carts.   I generally was the last to hobble in on the activity, but I survived.

**Talk to the orthopedist.

*** Talk to the Scout.  Talk to the other Scouts.  I bet they'd like to help.

****  TALK TO THE DAD...

Golfcart?   Perhaps overkill.  Dad at camp?  Would he have gone otherwise?  Is he a registered ASM? 

Crutches?  Wheelchair?   I have seen some clever accommodations.  Wheeled  casts for whole leg.   Some things will have to be avoided/eliminated, for sure, but if the Scout can adapt, let him go. As was said before,  camp might well be more relaxing than home. 

I was at the 2013 Jamboree, and watched a Scout get places on a pair of crutches .  He had broken an ankle four days before the opening day! .  He took it easy, but managed to have a good time, despite the distances involved.   He got an occasional lift from staffers "going his way".  He even worked on his Episcopal religious award with one of the Chaplains.

If he can't "fit in", your Scout can always go home early, and say "he tried".    

By all means, send him to camp!

I've seen scouts rally to help others who are on crutches, or in a wheel chair.   They'll help him with his food tray at the chow hall.   No one will have to prompt any one, the boys do so on their own.

When I was a scout, I attended a three day camporee in the middle of nowhere...on crutches.   Recovering from a bad bout of blood poisoning.   No issues.   I was with my comrades, having fun.   Couldn't participate in some events, but I was there cheering them on.   Very glad I went.  Lots of good memories.

Son wants to go, Dad is going, he is Unit commisioner, was going to go anyway to help keep an eye on the troop.  So, I guess it's a go and hail mary.

thanks guys.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Qwazse.  This is sons fourth time on crutches in as many years.  Sports, gotta love 'em.

No, you don't "gotta love 'em".  If your son's gotten injured that badly four years in a row, I think he, you and Dad need to re-evaluate what he's up to.

I played Little League baseball as a kid.  Missed two seasons because I was on crutches.  Neither injury was due to Little League.  They were both related to camping outings, one with the family and the other with Scouts.  Maybe my parents should have re-evaluated what I was up to????

Maybe my parents should have re-evaluated what I was up to????

If it was the same injury, from doing the same thing, both times?  yeah, probably...  

I got the impression from the OP that this was four similar injuries from doing the same thing four years in a row.