Closed Toe Shoes

I need some help. I know that many troops prohibit open toe shoes for troop activity and I can understand why. I have been told that this is a national BSA Policy but I can not find any mention of it in the guide to safe scouting. Am I just missing it or is it listed in some other location?  I agree its a good idea but I don't want to look like a fool and site it as BSA Policy and it not be.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My mom had 16 stitches in the arch of her foot having stepped on a tent stake while camping.  I got 10 stitches in the bottom of my foot walking barefoot on a beach having made contact with a piece of

What is the expectation?   Can't provide something that does not exist.   See the above post.   

Are you sure? I think first person singular would be IBELOS. If you are addressing one of same you call them YOUBELOS.  Where I am writing this you might hear the occasional Y'ALLBELOS in lieu of WEBE

IMHO the rule of common sense should prevail; we do not all need to be policy lawyers. I have been at camp outs wear boys went barefoot and cut their feet and had to be stitched up...much extra work for leaders. I was on a backpacking trip when a scouter wore open toed sandals...got up in broad daylight and impaled a stick in the webbing next to his big toe. Couldn't get a boot on anymore, had to hobble down a side trail so we could arrange a car pickup half a day later. 

• Upvote 1

Am unable to provide a citation where something is that does not exist is located.   Good idea reference is here:  

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/GSS.aspx

In situations not specifically covered in this guide, activity planners should evaluate the risk or potential risk of harm, and respond with action plans based on common sense, community standards, the Boy Scout motto, and safety policies and practices commonly prescribed for the activity by experienced providers and practitioners.

• Upvote 1

I need some help. I know that many troops prohibit open toe shoes for troop activity and I can understand why. I have been told that this is a national BSA Policy but I can not find any mention of it in the guide to safe scouting. Am I just missing it or is it listed in some other location?  I agree its a good idea but I don't want to look like a fool and site it as BSA Policy and it not be.

If you make it a "Unit Policy", then whether or not its a BSA Policy is irrelevant.

• Like 1

I agree..."dress appropriately for the occasion" should be common sense.  It is a policy at most summer camps.  Sandals and flip-flops allowed only IN the showers...to and from must be closed shoes.

• Like 1

I've got mixed feelings about it. On one hand, I'm a fan of sports-type sandals (such as Tevas), and have never had any problems in the outdoors with them.  On the other hand, I'm dealing with other people's kids, and any way that I can avoid taking them to the emergency room is good.  I like the closed-toe sandals as a compromise that's "scout legal." 

Thanks for the replies. I have no problem with it being a troop policy. The problem was I was told it was BSA policy and I could not find were that was stated. I just didn't want to be the guy who states that it was BSA policy and it is not.  We had a big influx of new scouts and another scouter was telling them it was BSA policy that they needed to wear closed toe shoes.

Common sense would prevail.    With the risk of ruining a trip, why would anybody in their right mind want to go running around in the outdoors without their feet protected?   Duh

After 61 years of camping I have seen my fair share of arch cuts from tent stakes, burns from stepping on a hot coal and toe-nails ripped off, along with a broken toe here or there.  All them were preventable.

• Like 1

A lot of "National BSA Policy" really is just your local camp policy, or just somebody repeating what they were told from somebody else who was repeating what they were told from somebody else who was repeating what they were told from somebody else, ad infinitum. There are a lot of policies that really are nothing more than myth.

• Like 1

I've been involved with our Cub Scout day camp as an instructor or director since 2009.  Our camp's policy has always been closed toed shoes--even when the fire department comes to hose down the  boys.

This one is just plain  ole good common sense!  :)