Troop Guide in Mixed Age Patrols Without New Scout Patrol

Hedge, you've got a great handle on management for your boys.  I have no doubt that there are great things happening in your troop and patrols, but are there boys that stand out that are always there when needed?  Always cheerful and willing to volunteer to help others?  Who will work with another boy because he needs help and for no other reason?  That's a dynamic that is VERY difficult to teach a boy.  They have to want to care in order to be an effective servant leader.  For me people who serve others, regardless of what the "task" may be is what leadership is all about.  

@@Stosh.  I recognize that our troop has a long way to go to teach true servant leadership.  i've mentioned before that I'm working on the materials for a weekend training program for the leaders. All of your thoughts are helping me think about how to teach servant leadership.

In this situation, I have a boy who does care and wants to lead by helping others achieve what he has.  I think it is true servant leadership to spend your time making sure someone else enjoys and benefits from scouting.  Really, he is leading one boy at a time and being a mentor.  Maybe his example will inspire others.

What yeh choose depends on your troop, eh?  But yeh have to figure out how to get the adult agenda off of Advancement and make it a part of the kids' game again.  No managers or leaders or job descriptions, eh?  Just playin' the game.

@@Beavah, I understand where you are coming from.  I think my adult agenda wasn't the need for people to advance but it was a sense that some boys were not being taken care of -- or a Stosh put it, a lack of servant leadership.  So I have someone who stepped up and asked "can I help?"  My answer is "of course."  I'll share you ideas with him.  It is a different perspective about making it fun or part of the game.  A good start to thinking outside the box.  Whatever ideas he comes up with, he can take it to the PLC and see if they like those ideas too.  Great opportunity to learn and use skills in problem solving, creativity and working with others.  Aren't those opportunities what we are here to provide to the boys?

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A TG with no NSP is like a PL with no patrol.    I have no idea how to jury rig the POR into something other than what it was intended.  I'd go with independent Instructors that all have different f

Back in the dark ages before NSPs and Troop Guides, the PL was responsible for getting his people up to speed. In my troop, the PL assigned someone to buddy with and learning was one-on-one. PL was th

Hedge, I may be a bit old (heck I am old), but these were normal duties for the PL prior to the BSA's push for NSPs (Eagle94 summed up well).   Stosh's point is right:   to have both TG and PL is to

@@Stosh.  I recognize that our troop has a long way to go to teach true servant leadership.  i've mentioned before that I'm working on the materials for a weekend training program for the leaders. All of your thoughts are helping me think about how to teach servant leadership.

In this situation, I have a boy who does care and wants to lead by helping others achieve what he has.  I think it is true servant leadership to spend your time making sure someone else enjoys and benefits from scouting.  Really, he is leading one boy at a time and being a mentor.  Maybe his example will inspire others.

BINGO!  This is the boy you want helping you teach your leadership classes!!!!! 

Hedge, I don't think you have all that far to go to developing a culture of servant leadership.  One just needs to be aware of it and capitalize on it every time one sees it in action.  Caring (serving) is a trait that can't be taught, but it can be nurtured.  This boy is leading, all one has to do is encourage it every time one sees it.  I saw one of my Webelos boys helping another in his "patrol" who was sing his buddy next to him who was struggling.  I walked over to him, looked him in the eyes and said, "Well done Scout!"  He knew what I was talking about.  No further discussion necessary.  As I see him doing more and more of that, the same comment is spoken.  It's just my way of letting the boy know I am impressed with what he is doing.  How could I have ever taught that?  No way will that ever be put into a curriculum.  Management can be taught.  There's a lot of techniques that can be applied, but when it comes to the people relationships in a group (leadership dynamics) that can't be taught.  It can be recognized, but not taught.