New Swimming and Boating Rules for Cubbies

So has anyone else seen this or heard anything about this?

http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2016/05/05/cub-scouts-swimming-and-boating/

I would hope that something from Scouting Magazine is legitimate, but you cannot be too careful. I didn't really see anything on the BSA website and just thought I would start here (since our Roundtable is not till next Tuesday).

Not really "new" at all, its been out over a year - year and a half, one of those tucked away gems.   Didn't really think it needed any formal fanfare since it was coordinated with updates to the specific program information which can be found in the Cub program handbooks and leaders guide.  If you are following the Cub program it would have been seamless as Safety Afloat was updated and coordinated so youth can complete the adventures at a pack or den level.   Running the program as designed is all the article is re-enforcing that and the points of Safety Afloat and Safe Swim Defense are key to a great youth experience.   

• Upvote 1

However, everything we were given an the Cub Scout program was still saying we could not do Canoeing. Everything we looked at said the same thing. Those specific things could only be done at the district/council level. We could never do it as a den or pack. I had to get clarification for this last fall when we did our fall local campout and we were going to be a place that had canoes and paddle boats. I informed our district executive that we do about a half day of free time and that the parents would most likely do it (I was one of them). He said to just inform them that if any of the parents took their kids they would have to understand they were not covered by BSA insurance.

If you were looking at the handbook and associated leaders guides (which again, I'm assuming you would be using to run the program), along with the Guide to Safe Scouting (April '15 update) you would have seen the change.    At the end of the day, the program changed, the materials reflect that.    There are still age / program limits on the aquatics program for Cubs.    

Also, might mention that your fall campout scenario raises several flags or maybe additional points of inquiry that would have lead you to the program materials cited in the blog and my first response.  

Following the cub program, you would have completed a tour and activity plan as part of your planning (if it included aquatics) - it would have referred you to Safety Afloat, Safe Swim Defense, and the Guide to Scouting, BALOO, CPR and reminded you of the program training needs.    I'd also wonder was this a council approved location for your Pack Overnighter - your BALOO trained person(s) would be the ones who could have helped with this.    

So, at the end of the day, you asked some questions, you got answers.   Just like here.   If you do take your den or pack to aquatics activities please follow the program materials, have a plan and qualified supervision so the boys have a great time.    

• Upvote 1

As RichardB stated, it's been out since May 1st of last year, but there was not a lot of fanfare about it until recently. I got a heads up from a friend because I made comments on how Cubs won't be able to advance unless they go council events, and not every council offers aquatic events.

On a personal note, while I agree with what RichardB says about the various certs needed to conduct aquatic activities, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND SOMEONE IN YOUR UNIT TAKING BSA'S TWO AQUATIC SUPERVISION COURSES! Those two courses are a lot more hands on and really helped. Lifeguard cert is good for pools, but not boating activities anymore.

@@RichardB, what happens if your council does not have a list of approved Cub camping locations? If they sign off on the tour planner, I', assuming they approve of the location. Not trying to be a pain, but  that is a serious question I have.

@@RichardB Yes it was an approved camping place for Cub Scouts. We camped and the reason I asked for clarification on what to do with the boating was because it was free time that I cannot control what parents do with their kids. The reason we asked is because Guide to safe Scouting specifically states that "Safe Swim Defense does not apply to boating or water activities such as waterskiing or swamped boat drills that are covered by Safety Afloat guidelines" and Safety Afloat Guidelines (http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/Aquatics/safety-afloat.aspx) says "Cub Scout activities afloat are limited to council or district events".

Lucky for us, we have all the trained personnel with us. No one was ever told this changed. Additionally, we had to go around it because we were told by the DE that scouts cannot do canoeing unless it is a district or council event and again we had to tell the parents that if they went they were not covered by BSA insurance. This is why we would not have done a tour and activity plan because as far as we were concerned the aquatics part of the campout was not sanctioned by BSA and the parents were on their free time with their children.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/GSS/gss02.aspx#i is the most current version of the GTSS.  Not sure how you got to the link above, but will terminate with extreme prejudice the offending webpage and a couple of others that seem to have survived.    

Thanks, Richard

PS:  Eagle94-1A good question to ask your council camping folks is where is the list.   As to the Tour and Activity Plan, there is no approval beyond the unit certification.  Incorrect assumptions on your part since circa 2011.  

Thanks. I've backed off some from council level stuff, focusing on the unit and keeping the district together. Comment one council camping committee member told me when I asked about this around circa 2010 was "Cubs don't need to camp."