Balancing Act Revisited

It seems like nobody in your troop is trained - adults or scouts.  

That's the irony of the situation. You have 2 former district training chairs, me and the SM. Plus I did BA 22 and staffed JLT, so I know what is supposed to be done. Hence the balancing act. I'm trying to guide an mentor the Scouts without stepping on the toes of the SM. But I'm also trying to not tell the SPL what to do and how to do it, but give him advice and suggestions.

As for the SPL, he did ILST. Me personally I do not think it's goo training.

... refuse to train the Scouts, or refuse to let the Scouts lead, you don;lt get Boy Scouting.

In my humble opinion, that's the problem. We give them the training, but then do not follow through with mentoring and advising. Then when things go wrong, the adults say the Scouts aren't ready to lead, and take the experience away.

And again, I haven't been to the last two leaders meeting since they came about last minute. However when the results of those meetings came about, I went full bore on the patrol method. Resistance is coming from one leader who is trained, and he is influencing some of the others.

On a positive note, Son is getting his job done. I commented on how to implement real change, he needs to be SPL again. I think he is considering it.

Hopefully I will be cleared to go to summer camp for the first 3 days. I remember in BA22 the model PLC meeting with the whole troop in attendance as observers. I'm really thinking of doing that on Sunday between check in and Sunday dinner.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The question of Youth vs. Adult led is for the owner of the unit, the Chartered Organization, to make.  It's not your call.

Here's a "grand scheme of things" way to look at this. Imagine the SPL continuing to fail to be proactive ... It's likely there are one or more boys who don't like it. One are more of these are think

I really can't let this pass without commenting on it....     No.  Boy Scouts are boy-led.  An adult-led is Cub Scouts.  Please read this link:   http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/T

@@desertrat77 said it in another thread on TGs in a mixed aged patrol thread:

"Saw this dynamic in the military--squadrons with two first sergeants had more issues than those with one.   Best to just let one go-getter take on the extra duties than have the confusion and overlap of having two."

And that seems to be the problem, Gunship and I. SM isn't doing everything he's suppose to, and both of use, as well as others, are picking up the slack. Problem is we both have two opposed methods to achieving the  same objective. And the other leaders are in the crossfire.

And that seems to be the problem, Gunship and I. SM isn't doing everything he's suppose to, and both of use, as well as others, are picking up the slack. Problem is we both have two opposed methods to achieving the  same objective. And the other leaders are in the crossfire.

Yah, yeh know yeh need to resolve this, right? :o   Preferably by becomin' Scoutmaster. :cool:

Yah, yeh know yeh need to resolve this, right? :o   Preferably by becomin' Scoutmaster. :cool:

Resolving this is a challenge as Gunship, for all practical purposes refuses to talk to me now. I've tried, heck I see where he is coming from and understand his thoughts. BUT IT AINT SCOUTING (emphasis). And when I came up with ways to do what he wants IN A SCOUTING MANNER ( again emphasis) he told me he can't take it anymore, and walked away. Since that incident. he has said maybe 10 words to me.

As for becoming SM, several months ago, while I had my wing clipped ;)  , I talked to the ASM who at one time was suppose to take over the troop, and the SM. Neither one had a problem with me becoming SM. It was when I talked to the CC/COR that it was brought to my attention that the CO wants a member as SM. They view the troop as an outreach ministry, and I understand. The CO has been extremely supportive of the troop. But even the CC/COR is hesitant to remove the SM. They have a long history together.

Edited by Eagle94-A1