• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just snagged this guy on eBay. The deer is more tan that it appears in the pic. The description said it belonged to an SE in Lebanon County Council and that his wife sewed it on but unknown if it re

Sure thing.

The green ones were in the official catalog in the early 60s.  I used to look forward to getting that catalog in the mail like getting the Sears and Montgomery Ward Christmas catalogs.

Posted Images

Been a while since I saw the green version of the jackshirt.  Do not see the reds as often as you once did.  Guess they got too pricy for most people.  I was fortunate to be able to trade my original with someone after I outgrew it.  He was simply selling it, so getting one of a smaller size did not matter.  

Have yet to see a green jac-shirt. The red ones are still spotted here and there, but are viewed by most as "old folks attire". Two scooters in my troop gave their sons the red jackets, the scouts thanked them ( a scout is courteous) then hung them in their respective closets and never took them out again.

The green ones were in the official catalog in the early 60s.  I used to look forward to getting that catalog in the mail like getting the Sears and Montgomery Ward Christmas catalogs.

• Upvote 1

In the 1990's, the U.S.-made red jac-shirt was replaced by one from Asia that appeared to be made of red burlap sacking.  It wouldn't hold any shape and you could see light through it.  At least it cost the same as the Woolrich product.   :p    Sales dropped off a cliff.  

Then around 2003, a sage or olive green version came along.  It was MUCH better - but it was not red.    It did fit the change of the Scout color from red to green and was probably superior to the old Woolrich red jac-shirts.  Some didn't like the obvious BSA symbol on the pocket.

In 2009 or so, green went away and an improved red version appeared (washable).  (That's when I bought my green jac-shirt on clearance for $30.00.)

The current supply organization may not understand what the word "uniform" means, but they do try to make the customer happier with lots of choices.

Years ago - 1960's -  there were forest green jac-shirts for Scouts.  Red was the Exploring color.   I was poor and in California, so it was out of the question.

There was even a red and green plaid version - 70's I think.  I only saw it on paid Scouters.

Edited by TAHAWK

I can't speak to all the changes and when what happened when.  But I have an old BSA red and a new BSA green.  The red one was itchy, but extremely warm and blocked the wind.  I depended on that jacket for years.  Cold?  Button another button.  It was great !

The green is not itchy, but it is cold and I can feel the wind through it.  I view the BSA green one I have as more decorative than functional.

Essentially, I'm now disappointed in BSA products.  I've started looking for a same-color jacket from a non-BSA vendor.  

Edited by fred johnson

These responses crack me up. The red jac-shirt was replaced with the green jac-shirt a few years ago. I guess if they still published a catalog people might know...

And, if you had read the catelog in the last seven years, you would have had the opportunity to learn that in 2009 the Sage Green jac-shirt was replaced by the red shirt.  http://www.scoutstuff.org/bsa/apparel/mens/jackets/washable-wool-jac-shirt.html#.V2CvkbsrLq4

"Let your words be soft and sweet, the better should you have to eat them."

I got my brand new red Jac-Shirt for $19 on some special deal BSA was running.  Otherwise I have a second red coat that passes very nicely as well.  That one cost me a bit more.....

Okay.  I really like the Voyaguer Jac Coat.  If it matches what I'd want, I'd pay that price.  I'm tired of using cheaper products that don't fully meet the need.

Edited by fred johnson