What does the OA cost?

• 2 weeks later...

Well it looks like I gotta eat my words, I got a check in yestersdays mail for about $70 for what I spent on last months ordeal. That's a first.

As it's my 34th anniversary I guess I'll take my wife to a fancier dinner than pizza hut.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

What a rip-off.  My unit has never participated in OA, so I had no idea.  

Shouldn't the value of something be considered based on what you get in exchange?  If your unit never participated in OA, you have no idea of what you get in exchange.

So, for our Ordeal it is $60, less the $10 discount is $50.  Included in that is the first year's dues of $15.  So that is $35.  For that we got two HUGE meals, two small meals, two nights camping and a sash, pocket patch and book.

My son went to Conlclave for $38.  That included food on Friday, three meals on Saturday and breakfast on Sunday with two nights of camping.  He also received a goodie bag, pocket patch, hanging patch and more.

However, there are things you can't put a price on.  My son went to Conclave alone -- without me and without anyone from our Troop.  On the way going there I asked him what parts of the scout law he would focus on.  His response is "friendly, helpful and brave -- because I don't know anyone."  He came back after having the time of his life.  He said, "I made like 10 friends in an hour and felt more at home with the guys in my lodge than I do with alot of the guys in our Troop."  He is with a bunch of guys who take scouting as seriously as he does -- not the guys that are doing Eagle for their college application and not the guys who are sash and dash.  He is already planning on running for a chapter position in the Fall.

Over that weekend he learned the meaning of a new word, "fellowship."  PRICELESS.

• Upvote 3

I have not been active with my lodge for a while. Dues are $12/year. There is a payment card that you pay a one time fee, and it covers the 3 Ordeals, Fellowship, and I believe also the banquet, but don't quote me on the banquet.  Anyway, if you bought the card, if you missed 1 event, you still saved money. Unfortunately that came after I stepped down as chapter adviser.

What a rip-off.  My unit has never participated in OA, so I had no idea.  

I'd like to know more about why David feels this is a rip off. For the amounts of activities that our lodge does and what the scouts get out of it, I feel like we are getting a great deal. As mentioned before, the fellowship and the leadership experience that comes out of OA is unequaled. 

Then again, as with anything, you get back what you put into it. 

Shouldn't the value of something be considered based on what you get in exchange?  If your unit never participated in OA, you have no idea of what you get in exchange.

So, for our Ordeal it is $60, less the $10 discount is $50.  Included in that is the first year's dues of $15.  So that is $35.  For that we got two HUGE meals, two small meals, two nights camping and a sash, pocket patch and book.

My son went to Conlclave for $38.  That included food on Friday, three meals on Saturday and breakfast on Sunday with two nights of camping.  He also received a goodie bag, pocket patch, hanging patch and more.

However, there are things you can't put a price on.  My son went to Conclave alone -- without me and without anyone from our Troop.  On the way going there I asked him what parts of the scout law he would focus on.  His response is "friendly, helpful and brave -- because I don't know anyone."  He came back after having the time of his life.  He said, "I made like 10 friends in an hour and felt more at home with the guys in my lodge than I do with alot of the guys in our Troop."  He is with a bunch of guys who take scouting as seriously as he does -- not the guys that are doing Eagle for their college application and not the guys who are sash and dash.  He is already planning on running for a chapter position in the Fall.

Over that weekend he learned the meaning of a new word, "fellowship."  PRICELESS.

That's the a goal. Took my son to a sectional conclave a little bit ago and it didn't work out as well. That happens with youth run sometimes. Maybe next time will be different.