35+ years ago all my children were breastfed.  Now those children are breastfeeding their children.  This process is not some new social fad or political, moral or ethical issue.  The Scout Law has been around for the past 100+ years and what totally surprises me that in this day and age it is a female SM that ignited this whole issue.  If it were some guy SM I would wonder from under what rock he crawled, but it totally flabbergasts me such a reaction would be drawn out of a female SM.  I apologize for my judgmental reaction on this subject, and I certainly agree this is not something that needs to be on a national level of discussion.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yah, where's da FACEPALM emoji?

Our boys may be uncomfortable?   Ok more training then, look for my new video "It Happened to Me, I Was Breastfed" 

I respectfully disagree in the strongest terms possible.  If a boy no matter the age even bats an eye at a mother feeding her baby what we have is a bad parenting issue. I could care less if a femal

Posted Images

Change?  What change are we discussing here?...some new fangled way of feeding kids or breast feeding which has taken place for some time now?....like since when dirt was young.

Change?  What change are we discussing here?...some new fangled way of feeding kids or breast feeding which has taken place for some time now?....like since when dirt was young.

Well, how we treat women in these circumstances has changed over time.

:huh: Oooh! I know, I know ....

Maybe scouters should instead ask the mom if the boys could come sit with her while she breastfeeds and she could explain what contemporary courtesies are due in such situations.

Edited by qwazse

^^^^Ding, ding, ding ,ding. We have a winner!

Tenderfoot requirement 14A.

While we are at it probably a good idea to make Disabilities Awareness MB a requirement for Scout Rank. I would imagine it is the rare troop that doesn't have at least one boy with some issues.

Kids today get the complete  run down in health class in grades as low as 3rd.  Maybe they ought to have a unit on how babies get fed and that should take care of the whole issue.  Children today are a lot more savvy today than back in my generation.  The pregnancy rate is up, but, hey, they are getting the education on the subject a lot sooner than we did, too.

It always amazes me how much effort adults put into "protecting" children from what they already know.

Swooping in for a moment...to followup on Stosh's ideas, I suggest arranging for classes to have some hands-on experience changing diapers, real ones, dirty ones, fully loaded. That is a spectre that will last a lifetime, lol. Flutter, flutter.....

• Upvote 1

Swooping in for a moment...to followup on Stosh's ideas, I suggest arranging for classes to have some hands-on experience changing diapers, real ones, dirty ones, fully loaded. That is a spectre that will last a lifetime, lol. Flutter, flutter.....

Preferably after a night of no sleep. That's called birth control.

I took my baby to an evening once, he slept through the whole thing and was cute, wouldn't have put anyone off at all, and if you think I'd have woken him up so scouts could change him...no chance. I still see some of them that were there that evening, and freak them out by telling them my son is nearly 17 now. Many of them have their own babies now, in fact, some just about to start in our youngest section I should think.

Now, BSA sometimes seems a little...erm...don't take offence....nerdy...definitely not a place for jocks anyway. I'm sure adding nappy changing to the programme will help no end. ;) Maybe you could get away with it as a "toxic waste disposal night".

A lost opportunity for all concerned about teaching the lessons of a Civil Society. I grow tired of arguing with teens who think 'Free Speech' means offensive and racist language can be freely spewed without consequence.

Not just teens; even our presumptive presidential nominees.