Frustrated with Daughter's leader

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Interesting update; today my daughter got a letter of support from the city Mayor for her project saying how it is needed and fits in the cities long term plan.  I can't wait for her leader to react t

Kinda hard to find a river anywhere where someone of any age isn't sucking down a brewski somewhere along the banks and to limit it to just college kids is a disservice to the young adults out there. 

No sweat Q, I hit the green to make it all even.

Kinda hard to find a river anywhere where someone of any age isn't sucking down a brewski somewhere along the banks and to limit it to just college kids is a disservice to the young adults out there.  I see more older people who should know better than I do college kids.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Durn thumbs! That was supposed to be a +1 to Stosh.

@@Eagledad, seeing as that ship has already sailed and we're awash in mamma bears (and mamma dads, not sure which is worse), and hiking and camping independently with your mates is no longer BSA's vision of the pinnacle scouting experience, I'm not sure we're making things worse bringing in girls and their dads. If their moms weren't camping with them before, they sure won't be inclined to join us backpacking (even if my digger is unisex).

Interesting update; today my daughter got a letter of support from the city Mayor for her project saying how it is needed and fits in the cities long term plan.  I can't wait for her leader to react to that.....

• Upvote 4

It seems the GS Cookie Syndicate will be fiercely protected, at all costs.

So the girls who want to hike and camp, as a scout, will have to wait till they are 14 and join a Venture crew.

Edited by desertrat77

This probably isn't terribly on topic, but I've found an alternative to GSUSA that is run pretty similarly to the BSA in terms of the youth programming; Frontier Girls. They are a merit badge based scouting program, with emphasis on patriotism, service, and skills based knowledge. I, along with a friend whose son is a Cub in my sons pack, have started the process of forming a troop locally. So if any of you, or your wives, are tired of GSUSA, maybe look into Frontier Girls as an alternative.

This probably isn't terribly on topic, but I've found an alternative to GSUSA that is run pretty similarly to the BSA in terms of the youth programming; Frontier Girls. They are a merit badge based scouting program, with emphasis on patriotism, service, and skills based knowledge. I, along with a friend whose son is a Cub in my sons pack, have started the process of forming a troop locally. So if any of you, or your wives, are tired of GSUSA, maybe look into Frontier Girls as an alternative.

Sounds interesting. 1200 badges. Wow. But none "controversial", what does that mean? As proven on this forum EVERYTHING is controversial, from mosquito netting to footwear to breastfeeding and beyond.

• Upvote 1

Sounds interesting. 1200 badges. Wow. But none "controversial", what does that mean? As proven on this forum EVERYTHING is controversial, from mosquito netting to footwear to breastfeeding and beyond.

You won't find a badge for breastfeeding, or gender identity studies. They are founded on Judeo-Christian values, and that's what their basis of controversial is going to be on. Believe it or not, the adult leaders I've associated with since beginning this journey have been absolutely drama free, including the FB group they run.

You won't find a badge for breastfeeding, or gender identity studies. They are founded on Judeo-Christian values, and that's what their basis of controversial is going to be on. Believe it or not, the adult leaders I've associated with since beginning this journey have been absolutely drama free, including the FB group they run.

Judeo-Christian values doesn't help me understand very much, but thanks for trying. Jesus was a bottle baby?

Judeo-Christian values doesn't help me understand very much, but thanks for trying. Jesus was a bottle baby?

Depends what neck of the woods you come from. Judeo- Christian values are controversial in some places....

Depends what neck of the woods you come from. Judeo- Christian values are controversial in some places....

In my experience as a Jew, organization of Judeo-Christian values really mean Evangelical Christians values.  I could be wrong about your organization but that is my experience.  I personally, have no problem with Muslim scouts for example and would not want to be in an organization that was prejudiced against them.

• Upvote 1

From Wikipedia;

"The term Judeo-Christian groups Judaism and Christianity, either in reference to their common origin in Late Antiquity or due to perceived parallels or commonalities shared between the two traditions."

I wasn't saying that Judeo-Christian values are 1) not controversial, or 2) the only values or belief system that is valid. I was saying that the group is based on Judeo-Christian values, and therefore the basis of their idea of "controversial" would stem from that place. As far as I know, Muslim girls would be welcome. There are references to God in their program, much like the BSA, but no strict definition of God.

As far as competition for American Heritage Girls, I suppose it could be that. However, AHG is a strictly Christian based program, whereas Frontier Girls is more accepting of various religions and religious beliefs. The founder of Frontier Girls started when her Mormon friend wasn't comfortable taking the AHG pledge, according to the website.

In my experience as a Jew, organization of Judeo-Christian values really mean Evangelical Christians values. I could be wrong about your organization but that is my experience. I personally, have no problem with Muslim scouts for example and would not want to be in an organization that was prejudiced against them.

As far as competition for American Heritage Girls, I suppose it could be that. However, AHG is a strictly Christian based program, whereas Frontier Girls is more accepting of various religions and religious beliefs. The founder of Frontier Girls started when her Mormon friend wasn't comfortable taking the AHG pledge, according to the website.

Interesting, from the Frontier Girls website:

While Frontier Girls is a Biblically based program, membership is open to girls of all faiths and religions who can recite and live by our promise and creed. While all Frontier Girl members and volunteers are required to have a belief in God, we do not require a belief in any particular religion and all faiths are welcome. We believe that it is important to realize that we are accountable to a higher power for the lives that we live and to give thanks for the blessings that we receive. Prayer is welcome at our meetings though specific religious doctrine should only be taught at troop meetings if the troop is owned by a specific church and parents are aware that this doctrine will be part of their program.

I'm with @@mashmaster here, sounds a lot like the AHG to me. One is "Biblically based", the other is "Christ centered". Both say they are open to any girl that can follow the oath/promise and creed.

I don't see how you can be "Biblically based" yet be really open to all faiths and religions. When they say "all", are they really meaning "all flavors of Christian"? How does a Hindu girl fit into a Biblically based program? If I was a Muslim or Hindu I would be asking a lot of questions before allowing my daughter to join such a group. But after asking those questions, hopefully I would be pleasantly surprised.

From a quick glance at their website, it's hard to tell what their "traditional values" are. They say they don't like the current GSUSA program, but don't say what about it bothers them. Is it the lack of outdoor focus or the fact they don't condemn gays? Maybe the answers are on their website, I didn't spend that much time going through it.

The whole "we encourage interaction with other scouting organizations" bit sounds really interesting (especially the sharing of requirements part). Frontier Girls might turn out to be a good fit for cub packs that are looking for a way to get girls involved. Form a FG unit for the girls, and do joint activities (pack meetings, derbies, outings, etc.).