Mama Bear... disheartened today

Yah, hmmmm....

Teenagers are such fun things, eh?   Up one moment, down the next.  Like tryin' to eat spaghetti on a roller coaster.

I reckon I'd shoot a quick email off to da SM and let him know that your son is a bit down because he couldn't hook up last week to get this done, and that yeh don't want to push your lad but it would be great if da SM could give him a gentle pull.   Just a quick request to see his stuff at the next meetin', or even at a SM conference next week or whatnot.

That's usually about all it takes.  Or as a parent yeh just hop in da car to take him to the next meetin' and say "come on". Biggest thing about teenagers, eh?  Don't get caught up in their drama.  Treat 'em like the (near) adults they are and they'll love yeh for it.

I can't speak to why da troop had a bunch of weeks without meetings, though that sometimes happens with troops that meet on Sundays because of other conflicts (campouts, OA, adult or church conflicts, etc.).   We'd hope for better, but sometimes life happens.

Beavah

Edited by Beavah

Son will be 15 in July and a sophomore next year. After Eagle, he would very much like to stay in scouting. It's just that he will not "have" to attend all meetings and be accounted for like before Eagle. He would like to earn palms.

We just want him to finish up now because the coaches are not so pleasant about missing games and practces. He has had to choose between sports and scouts now since 5th grade. He wants to please both, but it is becoming increasingly harder.

He is going to be on JV basketball and football probably a starter on both.

Beevah, he would love to take his stuff to the next meeting, but as of right now, don't know when they will be having one. Scout camp is the 19th thru the25th. You'll think they would have one before hey?

NYLT beads are kind of like junior woodbadge. He did nylt here last year and all the boys,we're to write up a statement at the end of the week how scouting is impacting their lives and what project they could do with/for the troop in the following 18 months. The boys needed to plan, impliment, and carry out something for the troop. Also, the scout needed to write a personal plan and follow it for about three months. All of this needed to be put into a report which the SM needs to sign and then the scour can be awarded his beads. BUT this needs to be finished before earning Eagle so therefore needs to be signed and dealt with before he does his application.

And yes, he has already scanned ALL of his blue cards including the final one. Heard many horror stories at the end. Already has a print out from council ad to dates of rank and badged, so I think he is up to date and ready to go. ALL he needs to do is the life ambition and applicatiin, he is soo close he can taste it.

@@zuzy. Who is stating the NYLT "tickets" needs to be completed before Eagle? They are really two unrelated issues and there is no NYLT requirement for Eagle. I am certain if you are an Eagle a scout will not be denied attending NYLT so I just don't see the connection.

• Upvote 1

The Syllabus for NYLT has no mention of tickets or beads.  Our Council does not observe this practice.  It must be something implemented by the OP's Council on their own accord and will only have meaning within that Council.

NYLT is not a listed requirement for Eagle, so I don't see what the issue here is.

I think it's the other way around. The course director intended for the beads to be something pre-Eagle, so he decided tell the boys that they won't be available once they get their bird. Perhaps, he didn't want to one-up rank advancement. Who knows?

Anyway Zuzyson has it in his head the one has to wrapped up before the other.

When he finally sits and chats with the SM, I'm sure there will be some head-scratching, but it will all be approved.

Now, important stuff: that girl he's interested in ... is she rich? ... can she cook?

• 2 months later...

Wait a minute, The boy is 15, Senior Patrol Leader, and life Scout working on Eagle and nobody in the troop likes him? Maybe it's me, but something doesn't seem to add up here. It is very rare that I see anyone younger that 16 pushing 17 working on Eagle. 

I sounds like the kid has done good so far. Have him call the Scout Master and you listen in. If that doesn't work go to one of the district executives for guidance. But If he wants to be an Eagle, Let him address the issues.  I know I respect a kid that comes to me a lot more than I would if Mama Bear comes to me complaining. He's learning to be a man and a leader. Help him grow a backbone and stand up for he thinks is right. Encourage him! Stand behind him and give him guidance, but He is the one who wants to be an Eagle. Let him take the lead.

• Upvote 1

It sounds like your son is highly motivated when it comes to sports and girls, while scouting has become somewhat of a drag. You seem to blame the troop for this, but it could be that your son is just trying to prioritize his time to achieve the greatest happiness. It appears that scouting is not bringing him joy anymore.  I would hope that becoming an Eagle scout is not simply the finish line for him, but it may very well be given the circumstances you have described.  He does not sound like a quitter - perhaps an appeal to his pride is in order. Dealing with difficult people and seeing things through to the end (no matter how unpleasant they may seem) are important life skills that this situation will help to develop.