JTE drives....

Quantity over quality.

Form over substance.

Add some of the worst software in the history of computing, and you've got a program that will keep managerial types in meetings for weeks on end.

We shouldn't quantify everything.   Sometimes having steady membership who enjoy a great program is success enough.

The Patrol Method is to be used,  but B.S.A. has failed to define the Patrol Method in training or any other coherent way for decades.  And it's not just volunteers who are in the dark.  Some at B.S.A. are significantly befuddled.  Scouting,org just said, "Patrols are one component of what we call youth-run, or youth-led, troop."  No.  the youth-led patrol and troop are a component of the Patrol Method.  Just as there is no "Troop method," there is no "youth led troop method."

You get the points for having a Patrol Leaders and an SPL, but the is no mention of them being elected, much less actually leading, 

Point for the PLC meeting up but not a word about the PLC doing anything.

And Patrol Method points for a Scout (not necessary to be a leader) attending the National OA Conference ?!

You get to "Gold" is the patrols do as little as six separate activities.  Given the JTE Q&A definition of a "weekend campout,"  six "lockins" to play video games would qualify.

@@TAHAWK, how would you change JTE to improve the patrol method? This is not a rhetorical question. I agree with you that JTE doesn't help, but what would?

Unfortunately I think the BSA is hung up on SMART goals and so everything has to be quantifiable. Unfortunately, I don't think leadership is quantifiable. Maybe different types of questions would help?

I ask my scouts (and adults) who is solving what problems. Adults or scouts? Problems related to people issues, gear issues, calendar issues. As an overview, if the adults have a 2 hour committee meeting each month and the PLC has a 15 minute meeting before each COH then that's a big red flag, yet it would pass JTE. The next question I have for my scouts is who is identifying the problems. To me, that's the gold standard.

This would be a start:

Patrol Method: Use the Patrol Method as defined by  B.S.A. (This provision would require the B.S.A. to gather its scattered statements into a coherent description of the Patrol Method and to eliminate the inconsistent statements. [such as incorrectly describing the Patrol Method as a component of "the youth-led troop"].)

The troop has patrols, and each has an elected Patrol Leader who appoints his Assistant and fills other patrol positions, such as Patrol Scribe.  The patrols meet separately on a regular basis to plan and conduct their respective programs.  If there is more than one patrol there is an elected Senior Patrol Leader who appoints Scouts to fill other troop leadership positions and who leads the troop's activities. Under direction of the SPL, the PLC meets at least four times a year to democratically plan troop program.

Achieve Bronze, plus PLC meets at least six times to plan program. The troop conducts Patrol Leader training.  Patrols have at least four independent activities each, at least two of which are outdoor program.

Achieve Silver, plus PLC meets at least ten times to plan program. Patrols have at least six additional independent activities each, at lest three of which are outdoor program.  At least one elected leader has attended an advanced training course, such as NYLT,  National Advanced Youth Leadership Experience,  Powder Horn, or The Kodiak Challenge.

Patrol%20Flag%207_zpsdoflp3sn.png

Edited by TAHAWK

I like it.

How about setting quality for each patrol, instead of the troop? If the PL needs a scout to do training to become the next PL, then it would be good for the troop to set that up. The needs of each patrol should drive the troop.

I could make a list of all the things that were merely common when I was a Scout.  

The longest journey begins with  the first step.   

Even those at National who understand and support Boy Scouting seem to be in the minority.

Until last year, the Rules and Regulations required the use in every troop of "the patrol system."  Guess what went away when everyone was watching the changes driven by the Gay thing ?

I like it.

How about setting quality for each patrol, instead of the troop? If the PL needs a scout to do training to become the next PL, then it would be good for the troop to set that up. The needs of each patrol should drive the troop.

Hmmm, we could have each PL compute a score: sum of camping nights + # of boys added + # aged out + flag + cheer + song + # first class scouts + # scouts with PORs ... Let's call it the

Patrol-Oriented Quality Evaluation Manual Assessment Number (POQEMAN) for short. Near the end of the tenure PL's would put their POQEMAN on paper, stick it in a plastic ball. And toss it between his mates what the scribe comes around. It's the scribes job to intercept it. He's gotta catch 'em all. :p

Troop score is the number of patrols + average POQEMAN.

• Upvote 1