@, I've found the poles on each corner of the cot work best.  The tennis ball on the end of each pole is a good idea to prevent poking through the net.  I usually found there is nothing on the inside of the tent to tie off to, since the flap tie-back straps get ripped off early in the tent's life.  Also, make sure the net reaches all the way to the floor, and you are correct, if you are up against the net, the little suckers will find you. 

I find that the HEAVY DUTY paper clips, the black ones with the two pinch levers that fold down work great for anchoring onto tents where the ties have been ripped off.  A big safety pin through the tab remnant will also anchor, but don't stick it in the canvas.  One of the things one must remember is that if there is no release of the netting when strained or sat on accidentally, it will tear.  The HD paper clips will generally release before tearing the netting or tent.  It's always a good idea to make sure one's tent is securely anchored in a windstorm, but the beauty of the tauntline knots is that it will give and prevent the tent from tearing.  The same holds true when rigging netting.  If the poles are rigid and don't give, the net will.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have no idea where I got my two nets, but they are the el cheapo ones that fit over cots, no frames, just tie off to flap strap on the tent side and up-right pole on the other.  Been doing it for ye

We built these pvc frames for the nomal netting. Cost about $10 to build and they worked perfectly. Based on the old fashioned frames the Army used to use for netting. Just make sure you put a ground

I have to laugh...I live in Mosquito Country but I just don't get that worked up about them. I put the picaridin on in the evening and that does the trick. Doing up my clothes and such just is way too

Posted Images

Once upon a time, I attended a big conference at a small college.  We had the whole campus to ourselves, maybe 500 people.  The Student Union provided meals. The dorms HAD been air conditioned, but they didn't tell us they turn everything off in the summer  (!).

But the windows do open. But the 'squiters off the lake. But it's hot. etc.   I became an entrepreneur.  I went to the local hardware store, bought every bit of nylon screening they had, several rolls of "the handy man's friend" , and for a small fee ( I think I asked $8) , fitted and taped the nylon screen over several dozen dorm  windows.  The week went much more comfortably . (provide your own fan!)   

On another note,  Here's an opportunity for your Scouts to "be prepared" and have a hand in their own comfort ("but dad, I NEED to buy it!").  Have a "build it" weekend, make the frames (PVC pipe, knuckles, press fit) , cut and fit the netting for each Scout's cot.  At the end of the camp, you can either sell/give the sets to the next Troop OR take'em home for the next time....

I like the idea of the big clips, easy to adapt to size.  

@, I've found the poles on each corner of the cot work best.  The tennis ball on the end of each pole is a good idea to prevent poking through the net.  I usually found there is nothing on the inside of the tent to tie off to, since the flap tie-back straps get ripped off early in the tent's life.  Also, make sure the net reaches all the way to the floor, and you are correct, if you are up against the net, the little suckers will find you. 

why not just pass a line around the pole frame?

forgive me if that is a silly question, it has been many years since I have been in one of these wall tents.... but i have seen the pole frames often at our cub scout camps

Edited by blw2
  • 2 months later...

Starting this up one more time :)

What dimensions of mosquito netting do I need to get to cover a cot. I have seen the premade stuff, but I am making my own frame like the one @@TAHAWK showed me. Thanks in advanced!

Forgot to mention, I found this (https://www.walmart.com/ip/DISCONTINUED-PER-VENDOR-12-21/46164505) but feel as though it is too small :(

Edited by Prepared

as far as size

I bought this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KXEDW26/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and it was a good size.

my tent was an older one, a bit smaller than the newer ones and the tie offs were limited.... I tied lopside off more to the center pole, so that made the net just barely reach the floor at the foot on the outer side.

I think next year if I go I'll make up some poles instead of hanging it and hope the cot has the holes to accept them, or else lash the poles in as best i can....

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/us-military-issue-surplus-mosquito-net-with-poles-olive-drab-new?a=1909135

Buy two cheap nets and get out the old sewing machine and have someone make one specifically to the dimensions needed.  It doesn't need to look pretty.  Most people sleep with their eyes closed anyway.  :)

I find that my standard net fits over my military cot just fine and I use various fastening techniques to the inside of the tent.  No poles necessary.  I am tall (6'), but not large (170#) and don't have trouble with the cot being too small or the netting too confining.  I just make sure it hangs low enough to keep the critters from coming in from underneath, but that does pose a entry/exit hassle with the netting catching the corners of the cot, etc.

Oh, and if your sewer would like to slit up the side and put in velcro fasteners they might consider that, but It seems like a hassle to me.  Just pull it up and over and crawl out.

Edited by Stosh

Awesome, I found a bigger one for cheap and will probably get that to use. Thanks for the help everyone! I can't wait to use them this weekend :)

A camping we will go, a camping we will go...hi ho the derry o a camping we will go!! :laugh: