When rigging canvas or nylon, the only knots I use are the double-half, the taunt and the sheet bend.  Those are a must for camping.  I cheat on the canvas tent tabs and go with a Granny slip knot.  Tie a standard bow like for shoes but pull one of the loops open.  Then when it's time to untie, find the short one and pull.  Works every time, no strain on the knots or tabs. 

Edited by Stosh
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have no idea where I got my two nets, but they are the el cheapo ones that fit over cots, no frames, just tie off to flap strap on the tent side and up-right pole on the other.  Been doing it for ye

We built these pvc frames for the nomal netting. Cost about $10 to build and they worked perfectly. Based on the old fashioned frames the Army used to use for netting. Just make sure you put a ground

I have to laugh...I live in Mosquito Country but I just don't get that worked up about them. I put the picaridin on in the evening and that does the trick. Doing up my clothes and such just is way too

Posted Images

post-29893-0-51057500-1464905581_thumb.jpg

First summer camp, circa 1966.  Pipsico Scout Reservation, Tidewater Council.  Didn't know about mosquito nets.  Learned quickly.  (I am the handsome young Second Class on the left!)

I have never done the pole business.  Always just tied off inside the tent.  Never torn my netting, I have 2 and they've been around for 20+ years.  One useful knot I learned as a kid that doesn't get enough play time in scouting today is the sheet bend.

Our summer camp doesn't permit anything to be tied to the inside of the tents -- even if you tie it to the poles.

Our summer camp doesn't permit anything to be tied to the inside of the tents -- even if you tie it to the poles.

i was wondering about that.... I was planning on tying a couple of lines of para cord to the poles to hang from.  I was kind of wondering if somewhere along the lines somebody came up some rule against doing that.... Well I don't see anything in the leader's handbook so there is hope

Get creative.  Those paper clamps work really nice and have neat little handles to tie off to.

Maybe it's time to bring one's own tent.  If they are that touchy about the tents, they gotta be really fun at parties.

@KDD - yes, cooler.  As I recall, this was Sunday, we had just checked in and Mom had not gone home yet.  Pretty sure the cooler went with her.  Glass bottles were all we had back then...plastic had not yet been invented ;).  Mattress was about 3 inches thick and stuffed with cotton batting....military surplus I think.  In later years, they switched to canvas cots and you brought your own foam pad/sleeping bag.  Meals were delivered to the campsite in "heater stacks"...no dining hall or central showers.  All aquatics were in the James River.  My first and only MB was Rowing and oh, how I remember those wooden rowboats were so heavy to launch and swamp and carry back up the beach.  Swimmers test and Mile Swim were in the river, following a rowboat...upstream halfway and back down the last half.  That was when men were men and the boys were too. :)

@KDD - yes, cooler.  As I recall, this was Sunday, we had just checked in and Mom had not gone home yet. 

That's why it still looks neat and tidy.

Pretty sure the cooler went with her.  Glass bottles were all we had back then...plastic had not yet been invented ;).  Mattress was about 3 inches thick and stuffed with cotton batting....military surplus I think.  In later years, they switched to canvas cots and you brought your own foam pad/sleeping bag.  Meals were delivered to the campsite in "heater stacks"...no dining hall or central showers.  All aquatics were in the James River.  My first and only MB was Rowing and oh, how I remember those wooden rowboats were so heavy to launch and swamp and carry back up the beach.  Swimmers test and Mile Swim were in the river, following a rowboat...upstream halfway and back down the last half.  That was when men were men and the boys were too. :)

We traditionally camp at summer camps with a setup like you describe. One of our ASMs has a PVC-based design for a mosquito-net frame that attaches to the cot that is very, very easy DIY. I will see him Tuesday night and ask if I can share his design with the forum.

I feel like such a scouting noob when I read all your posts about lashing and knots and all the things I have no idea how to do. I am still trying to learn it all, but holy wow...

With all that in mind, I have a question based off of all the posts...

Do I build two "T" frames to tie to the cot? Or is it more of a "TT" type frame? I have read posts that say if the net is touching you that you would still get bit...not trying to be eaten alive while I sleep...and yes we have WAY to many mosquitos in Pipsico...and yes they love me and find me to eat me EVERYTIME I go... :blink:

@, I've found the poles on each corner of the cot work best.  The tennis ball on the end of each pole is a good idea to prevent poking through the net.  I usually found there is nothing on the inside of the tent to tie off to, since the flap tie-back straps get ripped off early in the tent's life.  Also, make sure the net reaches all the way to the floor, and you are correct, if you are up against the net, the little suckers will find you.