I found building bat houses to be a bit easier than digging caves.  :)

But once you have the cave, it lasts and lasts.

In Michigan,  the noise of the lil' vampires was tremendous - and led to nightmares. Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !  You could here them thumping into the sides of the tent.

Edited by TAHAWK
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have no idea where I got my two nets, but they are the el cheapo ones that fit over cots, no frames, just tie off to flap strap on the tent side and up-right pole on the other.  Been doing it for ye

We built these pvc frames for the nomal netting. Cost about $10 to build and they worked perfectly. Based on the old fashioned frames the Army used to use for netting. Just make sure you put a ground

I have to laugh...I live in Mosquito Country but I just don't get that worked up about them. I put the picaridin on in the evening and that does the trick. Doing up my clothes and such just is way too

Posted Images

If a bat can find a mosquito in total darkness, he plenty well knows where your tent is.  Your nightmares were probably justified.  Those bumps weren't bats.  :eek:

• Upvote 1

Many times my friend.  MN, WI, MI is my back yard, skeets and all.  Why do you think I build bat houses?  For fun or for protection?

Edited by Stosh
  • Upvote 1

One of my favorite memories of my first 50 miler:   camping in the bottom of the Grand Canyon.   Watching the bats do their thing as dusk faded into night.

Then we moved to AK.   Skeeter coils, nets, and big cans of Cutters were standard gear.

We use this: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12697317with a PVC poles that form a T lashed to either end of the bed.  The cross section forming the T supports the ends of the net nicely.   It is a lot easier to travel with then the frames that Krampus's Troop makes because it compacts down into two poles (the cross section making the T fits inside the upright section of the pole for travel.  

I'd be glad to e-mail the design to anyone who is interested (can't figure out how to post the pictures here).

Edited by Hedgehog
  • Upvote 1

We use this: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12697317with a PVC poles that form a T lashed to either end of the bed.  The cross section forming the T supports the ends of the net nicely.   It is a lot easier to travel with then the frames that Krampus's Troop makes because it compacts down into two poles (the cross section making the T fits inside the upright section of the pole for travel.  

I'd be glad to e-mail the design to anyone who is interested (can't figure out how to post the pictures here).

Sounds great, but I don't reach it via your link.

I set mine up more like the kid at the back of krampus' picture. 4 pvc poles with tennis balls on top and zip tied them to the base of the cot. Also allowed me to lower one side so it would fit under sloped roof.

Standard summer camp gear included skeeter nets (army surplus - durable) and pre-cut sticks or dowels about 4 feet long.  Duct tape the poles to each corner of the cot and drape the net over (which is in a box shape).  The cheap nylon nets available at places like Walmart are ok for one season, but tend to get holes in them.  Make sure the net reaches all the way to the floor...you may have to adjust the length of the poles.

Standard summer camp gear included skeeter nets (army surplus - durable) and pre-cut sticks or dowels about 4 feet long.  Duct tape the poles to each corner of the cot and drape the net over (which is in a box shape).  The cheap nylon nets available at places like Walmart are ok for one season, but tend to get holes in them. To help prevent tearing, place a ping pong ball or similar round cushion at the top of each pole before draping net over

Make sure the net reaches all the way to the floor...you may have to adjust the length of the poles.

Suggest also bringing a 10x12 blue tarp or whatever size will cover the tent platform floor. Take out cots, sweep floor, lay tarp, replace cots, install netting, place gear.

Added $0.02

Standard summer camp gear included skeeter nets (army surplus - durable) and pre-cut sticks or dowels about 4 feet long.  Duct tape the poles to each corner of the cot and drape the net over (which is in a box shape).  The cheap nylon nets available at places like Walmart are ok for one season, but tend to get holes in them.  Make sure the net reaches all the way to the floor...you may have to adjust the length of the poles.

I have never done the pole business.  Always just tied off inside the tent.  Never torn my netting, I have 2 and they've been around for 20+ years.  One useful knot I learned as a kid that doesn't get enough play time in scouting today is the sheet bend.