Be Prepared.  right?

So in preparing to go along with our scouts to summer camp, I'm thinking of getting a mosquito net of some sort.   As much as I love the outdoors I have little patience for the biting and itching.

As I understand it, we'll be put up in wall tents on platforms, with cots.  Wall tents means no screens.... and either hot close flaps, or letting in the bugs.

Does anyone here have suggestions or experience with any particular net for this purpose?  It looks like there are all sorts on teh market now.  For simplicity sake, as well as for keeping the budget down, I was thinking of getting one of those simple pyramid type, like this one perhaps.

http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?item=Nano+Mosquito+Pyramid+Net+Shelter&o1=0&o2=0&o3=131

I'm not really clear how well this would work with a cot.... & I'm guessing I would be able to find a tie off for it to the tent frame, even if its over to the side instead of above.

I would rather pitch my little tent, but I figure that may not be in the cards....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have no idea where I got my two nets, but they are the el cheapo ones that fit over cots, no frames, just tie off to flap strap on the tent side and up-right pole on the other.  Been doing it for ye

We built these pvc frames for the nomal netting. Cost about $10 to build and they worked perfectly. Based on the old fashioned frames the Army used to use for netting. Just make sure you put a ground

I have to laugh...I live in Mosquito Country but I just don't get that worked up about them. I put the picaridin on in the evening and that does the trick. Doing up my clothes and such just is way too

Posted Images

Wall tents work best when (high winds and rains excepted) the front and side flaps are rolled up. Bugs fly in one side, they fly out the other side.

I'll leave others to discuss netting.

Sansbug.. Lightweight. Nothing to assemble or tie. Folds flat into a circular zip bag.. Pull out, it springs up, ready to go. My family uses them.

https://www.amazon.com/SansBug-Free-Standing-Pop-Up-Mosquito-Net-Floor/dp/B003BWF9WI?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

http://www.sansbug.com/

Edited by RememberSchiff

I have no idea where I got my two nets, but they are the el cheapo ones that fit over cots, no frames, just tie off to flap strap on the tent side and up-right pole on the other.  Been doing it for years and have had no problems.

Walmart has them for about $10

Edited by Stosh
  • Upvote 2

We built these pvc frames for the nomal netting. Cost about $10 to build and they worked perfectly. Based on the old fashioned frames the Army used to use for netting. Just make sure you put a ground cloth down on your floor. Those suckers like to fly up under those crate floor boards. ;)

http://www.bsa50.com/drupal/sites/default/files/articles/image00.jpg

Edited by Krampus
  • Upvote 1

I bought nets a few years ago but never used them. Instead I sprayed everything down with Permetrin and use a bit of 3M Ultrathon (deet) on my face and arms. I have used the 10% and 36% concentrates of permethrin and just dilute down to .5% in a gallon sprayer.

Spray the outside of the house and back yard every few weeks in summer to cut back on the bugs as well.

Used in MO and IL where the mosquitos are moderately bad but the other big concern is the ticks and netting is not going to do much for those. All camp clothes get sprayed with permethrin and put in ziplock bags to preserve its effectiveness.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IMO3I2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can wear pants, long sleeves, duct tape and ice in your hat like Stosh if you prefer the more crunchy organic granola route. :)

Edited by King Ding Dong

I have no idea where I got my two nets, but they are the el cheapo ones that fit over cots, no frames, just tie off to flap strap on the tent side and up-right pole on the other.  Been doing it for years and have had no problems.

+1

I bought nets a few years ago but never used them. Instead I sprayed everything down with Permetrin and use a bit of 3M Ultrathon (deet) on my face and arms. I have used the 10% and 36% concentrates of permethrin and just dilute down to .5% in a gallon sprayer.

Spray the outside of the house and back yard every few weeks in summer to cut back on the bugs as well.

Used in MO and IL where the mosquitos are moderately bad but the other big concern is the ticks and netting is not going to do much for those. All camp clothes get sprayed with permethrin and put in ziplock bags to preserve its effectiveness.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IMO3I2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can wear pants, long sleeves, duct tape and ice in your hat like Stosh if you prefer the more crunchy organic granola route. :)

I already have some of that permethrin, and was planing on treating the net, as well as some of our other camp gear before the trip

Did I mention.... I really don't like the biting and itching?!

You said you treat all camp clothes.... so you treat shirts, pants, socks,....everything.... before a trip?

I already have some of that permethrin, and was planing on treating the net, as well as some of our other camp gear before the trip[/size]

Did I mention.... I really don't like the biting and itching?![/size]

You said you treat all camp clothes.... so you treat shirts, pants, socks,....everything.... before a trip?

Except the underwear and part of socks in the shoe. Hats, chairs, outside of sleeping bag, mat, cot (if bringing your own).

I set up a clothes line in the back porch and spray it all down as long as it isn't to humid it is all dry the next morning. Should last through six washing if kept sealed and out of the sun. Some just mix it up in a bucket and dip the clothes. The US military supplies a kit with a bottle and zip lock bag for agitating with uniforms in the field.

You can purchase the prediluted bottles like Sawyers, but that gets really expensive.

It has a slight odor but my oldest and I don't have a problem with it. My wife just hates it. Will have to see this year about my youngest as he is always complaining about smells. Spray down a shirt or something and see if you can deal with it.

Edited by King Ding Dong

I have to laugh...I live in Mosquito Country but I just don't get that worked up about them. I put the picaridin on in the evening and that does the trick. Doing up my clothes and such just is way too much effort for the slight bother of these guys.

Now in MN I can see the fuss. You other guys must have clouds of these things. We have tons here but if you do the normal spraying you are fine.

Must be those eastern, atomic waster, genetically engineered mosquitoes you guys have. ;)

• Upvote 1