Hi,

My son likes to fish and has grown up doing so. He is working on the fishing merit badge, which included learning knots. So, he can do them on the handle of scissors (he practiced them this way, not sure why). How does he go about actually using these knots while actually fishing?

Thank you.

Really, the knots you use depends on the gear you have.

For example, if you connect everything with snap swivels, you'll always use a palomar knot.

Run out of swivels? You'll probably go to a fisherman's knot right quick!

Hook's didn't come tied? Snell knot. Without an eye? Modified Snell.

I never remember them. I follow the back of the package (stash any instructions I can find in a baggie in my tackle box).

Lose tackle with at the knot? Never tie that one again!

I came up with those results myself.... he wrote for use without an eye.  Those seem to show a way to the onto an eye, similar to the snell knot.  but woithout an eye?

I came up with those results myself.... he wrote for use without an eye.  Those seem to show a way to the onto an eye, similar to the snell knot.  but woithout an eye?

http://www.resourcefinder4u.com/basic_knots/snell_knot_a.php

Or something close to that. When I first tried it, I thought, "I'm wasting a box of hooks today."

But it held on my ultralight rod for quite a few fishing days, snags and all.

ah haaaa... there you go.  Now I get it.

Now I can see that one being very useful for the theoretical survival situation, where one might need to fabricate a fishing rig using  a paper clip or bit of wire!

Hi,

My son likes to fish and has grown up doing so. He is working on the fishing merit badge, which included learning knots. So, he can do them on the handle of scissors (he practiced them this way, not sure why). How does he go about actually using these knots while actually fishing?

Thank you.

Improved clinch and palomar are good knots to use to tie a hook or lure to the end of the line.

Turle is a flyfishing knot (I've never used it in actual fishing) for tying a fly to a leader.

Blood loop (barrel knot) is used to make a loop that sticks out perpendicular to a line.  The barrel knot is used to tie two pieces of similar strength line together.

Double surgeon's loop is used to make end loops on a line.

Is he tying these in something like paracord rope, or is he doing it on monofilament (fishing line)?  If in paracord, I can see how scissors handles would be handy. If monofilament, I think it would be better to tie it on something smaller.  I can't imagine doing the palomar with scissors.