It's serious.  The remaining leadership needs to get with the Charter Org. rep and appoint a new chair and Cubmaster as soon as possible.   At this point in the year, packs should be planning for the upcoming year.   Without the proper leaders in place the pack will not be able to function properly.  Sure you maybe able to limp along but when it comes down to making decisions and resolving issues you need to have that committee chair in place.

Can I ask why they left?  Did they crossover?

Susan

Agree with Jackdaws...it is really bad. A pack NEEDs a Cubmaster and a Committee Chair. Without them, the pack is dissolved. In reality, the Chartered Organization is the only one who can appoint a new Committee Chair, so I would start there. After that look for the Cubmaster. This is because the Committee Chair is the one who signs off on a new Cubmaster. I hope it works out, else the pack will dissolve.

:)  My ASM and I did something a little different this year with the adults.  They were all given an adult registration form along with their youth's registration form and told that we will be holding YPT and Committee member training along with boy-led, patrol-method orientation this summer so we'll be up and ready as soon as we can be.

It's kinda surprising how much more effective telling is over asking.  :)  It'll be interesting to see how things work. 

• Upvote 1

A pack cannot re-register without those leaders in place.  Talk to your District Commissioner and District Executive and let them know they need to step in and help save the Pack.  They should be working closely with your Chartered Organization.

:)  My ASM and I did something a little different this year with the adults.  They were all given an adult registration form along with their youth's registration form and told that we will be holding YPT and Committee member training along with boy-led, patrol-method orientation this summer so we'll be up and ready as soon as we can be.

It's kinda surprising how much more effective telling is over asking.  :)  It'll be interesting to see how things work. 

so true about the telling....

but I have found that while it works well for things like "bringing the snack to the pack meeting", it doesn't work well for folks that need to attend regular committee meetings and take an active scouter roll.  I find they'll only do a half-baked job at best...usually.

My Pack and then Troop did this every year. We would require one parent to register and volunteer for something. This helped the parents get involved more.

I was curious what the impact is on a pack if there is no registered Committee Chair or Cubmaster?

I don't know if this was a national thing or not, but for 2016 in our Council all registered leaders needed to have current Youth Protection Training this year.  Unfortunately, many units turned in charters with people listed as Committee Chairs and/or Cubmasters or Scoutmasters who had lapsed YPT.  When that happened, the Council had to reach out to each unit and find out who the new Committee Chair or Cubmaster was going to be since they couldn't register a leader with lapsed YPT.

The good news is that our YPT percentages are up, the bad news is that it took an extra 3 months or so to enter in all of the rechartering paperwork due to the office staff having to chase down all of this.

If a Cubmaster steps down, it is the responsibility of the Committee Chair to appoint a new Cubmaster, or to step in and act as Cubmaster until a new Cubmaster can be found.  If the Committee Chair is also gone, well, then you have an even bigger problem because now there is no backup in place.  As others have stated, you can't recharter without both positions being filled.  In other words, this is a huge problem that needs to be fixed ASAP or soon there will be no more Pack.

As an aside, for this year we're hearing that all Committee Chairs, Cubmasters, and Scoutmasters must have completed Position Specific training as well as YPT.  Wonder how many more we'll lose come recharter time... 

so true about the telling....

but I have found that while it works well for things like "bringing the snack to the pack meeting", it doesn't work well for folks that need to attend regular committee meetings and take an active scouter roll.  I find they'll only do a half-baked job at best...usually.

As Webelos parents they were already coming every week with their boy as part of our AOL instructional process.  They got to see how the troop would be run and how the boy led thingy worked.  After 5 months, they felt comfortable and my ASM and I spent a lot of time incorporating them into the program (Build a Hero - All the moms and dads that had served were on a panel to discuss their experiences in the military, etc.  They did not participate in the program as parents, but as speakers, leaders, etc.   We tried to break that concept of family camping, but kept them on in a different role as fund raiser organizers, activity support, chaperone outings, etc.  A talent survey also went out to each parent on their skills background for such things as consultants for the boys' advancement and potential MB Counselors.

It never ceases to amaze me people can't find an hour or so to get the minimal training done online. YPT take 1/2 hour or less. This is Scouting and whatever leader specific is maybe another hour, although it has been a several years since I did this online. I much preferred the classroom training. An hour away from Facebook is not going to kill you.

• Upvote 1

It never ceases to amaze me people can't find an hour or so to get the minimal training done online. YPT take 1/2 hour or less. This is Scouting and whatever leader specific is maybe another hour, although it has been a several years since I did this online. I much preferred the classroom training. An hour away from Facebook is not going to kill you.

The online training has changed drastically. It is about 4 hours long and if you do the in seat training it is like 6 hours long. If I knew about the in seat training when I started I would have just done that so I could ask all the questions I wanted. But I agree people complain about doing training that is necessary for them to understand the program a little better and keep their kids safe.