Moving assets to a new CO?

I thought I would start a new topic than to lump all of these questions together

I know that a CO owns the unit number, equipment and money in a units bank account.

Our CO, a church, merged with another church and the non-profit entity that was our Co was dissolved.

I don't think any discussion was done in this merger about the Scout units the old church chartered

The new merged church is too far away for us to keep as a CO. I don't think it is even in the same district.

What would need to be done to switch a unit to a new CO?

Since your old CO has ceased to exist, I'm pretty sure your DE would be overjoyed just to charter you to a new entity with your old unit number intact.

As to da gear, possession is nine tenths of the law, eh?  ;)    I don't reckon anybody's goin' to bother you about it. 

Yeh will probably have to set up a new bank account and transfer funds if yeh had da old CO on the account.   Again, I wouldn't sweat da process, I'd just do it.  No need to make things more complicated than they need be.   If the old church went bankrupt and has creditors however, I'd try to do that quickly just to keep yeh from gettin' caught up in the mess.

Beavah

We're currently going thru something similar.  My DE provided a form (looks locally made) that the original IH signs that releases the Troop # and assets.  

Check with your DE.

I'd have thought the DE would be all over getting you a new CO before the old one went defunct. Doesn't that put you without a valid charter? I imagine there is a grace period for units that lose their CO, but without a CO how can one have a valid charter?

Your DE should be doing their job and helping you. Ideally they would have known about this issue and take care of this in advance.

Your DE should be doing their job and helping you. Ideally they would have known about this issue and take care of this in advance.

Yah, this just makes me giggle.  :laugh:

@@KenD500, that form only applies when da CO continues to exist, eh?  It's da form that release the unit that they "own" so it can be taken over by another entity.    Since da CO ceased to exist, yeh don't need it in this case.  There's nobody left who can legally sign it anyways. :p

Beavah

Edited by Beavah
  • Upvote 1

When the charter was renewed back in Feb. our CO was still in existence but moving towards the merger.

The building was also for sale but but no interested party until about a month later.

I am not sure how the merger between the churches and the Scouts units effect each other

I know the merged church still supports the units as much as they can as one of our scouts had to move his Eagle banquet there because the church in the new building won't let him hold it.

As I was just asked to get involved I don't know if anyone has talked with the old (merged) CO or not

Our DE is pretty clueless. She is a very attractive recent college grad with no Scouting background.

I have heard she is very good at fundraising (and daddy was a golfing buddy of our old SE)

The only thing I really see her do is forward messages from someone else about stuff happening n our council (usually 3 or 4 days after everyone else in the council sees it)

Our DE is pretty clueless. She is a very attractive recent college grad with no Scouting background.

I have heard she is very good at fundraising (and daddy was a golfing buddy of our old SE)

The only thing I really see her do is forward messages from someone else about stuff happening n our council (usually 3 or 4 days after everyone else in the council sees it)

See? Cute Communications majors *can* get jobs.

I suspect if the CO merged the disposition of your charter is likely tied as to the official (read: legal) entity that now makes up the two churches. If your CO was integrated under the other church's legal structure then I don't think there is a charter anymore because the original CO is gone. If, on the other hand, there was a new entity created -- and they agreed to assume each others assets, debt, etc. -- then you have a CO and a charter, you just need to transfer your charter to the new entity.

An unattractive DE would have known this and already helped your unit. ;)

Yah, this just makes me giggle.   :laugh:

So a good DE waits for this situation? How often do CO's go out of business in a given district? Since maintaining the units is the DE's job, this should not be a surprise...nor an issue.

Edited by Krampus

I just got a email from one of the Troop Committee members

The new church that bought our old CO's building gave our units 3 weeks to get all of our equipment out of the building or it's going in the dumpster.

This new church has been dragging their feet about units meeting there for months.

So much for community relations

I just got a email from one of the Troop Committee members

The new church that bought our old CO's building gave our units 3 weeks to get all of our equipment out of the building or it's going in the dumpster.

This new church has been dragging their feet about units meeting there for months.

So much for community relations

Sorry to hear that. The good news is you have free gear. ;)

If you DE has no clue on how to help you, you might want to reach out to the council SE to see what they can do. It sounds like you may not have a valid charter which would be a real issue if you get in to an accident (God forbid). I suspect that you may have a grace period to find a new one in BSA's eyes, but this would be my first order of business (clearing up my charter status) if I were you.

Good luck!

If you DE has no clue on how to help you, you might want to reach out to the council SE to see what they can do. It sounds like you may not have a valid charter which would be a real issue if you get in to an accident (God forbid). I suspect that you may have a grace period to find a new one in BSA's eyes, but this would be my first order of business (clearing up my charter status) if I were you.

Nah, relax on dat score, @@CNYScouter.   BSA unit registrations are for da year, eh?  You'll need a new CO to re-register, but there aren't any worries about accidents or insurance or all the rest.   That stuff runs on the BSA side for the duration of the current charter because yeh already paid for it, eh?  As long as da BSA still exists, we have to live up to our end of the bargain.

Beavah

Edited by Beavah

Nah, relax on dat score, @@CNYScouter.   BSA unit registrations are for da year, eh?  You'll need a new CO to re-register, but there aren't any worries about accidents or insurance or all the rest.   That stuff runs on the BSA side for the duration of the current charter because yeh already paid for it, eh?  As long as da BSA still exists, we have to live up to our end of the bargain.

Beavah

How can you be charted to an entity that no longer exists? There's no one to sign any forms and such.

I haven't seen the BSA regs on this but I wil wager when your CO goes belly up you have X days to find a new one. This happened in 2013 when the church of Christ was booting out units. They had 90 days I think to find a CO for the charter to be valid. I am sure someone here can find the BSA reg that says what the process is.

I'm going from memory, so bear with me. When a CO dropped their pack like a hot potato while I was a DE, the CO gave the pack X months to get their stuff and find a new home. basically it was the end of the school year, May. That left 7 months on their charter, and they were good according to my boss.

I'm going from memory, so bear with me. When a CO dropped their pack like a hot potato while I was a DE, the CO gave the pack X months to get their stuff and find a new home. basically it was the end of the school year, May. That left 7 months on their charter, and they were good according to my boss.

Who signs applications for a COR not there?

Similar case in 2013 our DE gave the unit 90 days to find a home or no charter.

Surely someone has the BSA bible on this issue.

How can you be charted to an entity that no longer exists? There's no one to sign any forms and such.

I haven't seen the BSA regs on this but I wil wager when your CO goes belly up you have X days to find a new one. This happened in 2013 when the church of Christ was booting out units. They had 90 days I think to find a CO for the charter to be valid. I am sure someone here can find the BSA reg that says what the process is.

What my DE told me and I can find nothing written one way or another - since the Charter is a contract between the CO & the Unit, if the CO no longer exists, the Charter is null & void.

Who signs applications for a COR not there?

Similar case in 2013 our DE gave the unit 90 days to find a home or no charter.

Surely someone has the BSA bible on this issue.

LOL.

Not sure why yeh feel there's such a thing as a BSA Bible. :laugh:   That's a hoot.

Practically speakin' this works exactly the way I've described, eh?   It happens often enough these days with COs droppin' units.  Remember, all da individual registrations remain in place, eh?  So do da insurance contracts, since they're paid for.  Yeh might say yeh have a whole mess of lone scouts and lone scout leaders who are lookin' to find or form a troop. 

Don't sweat da small stuff, eh?  This is small stuff.  Nobody cares about precision, just about helpin' things work out well.  Just keep things goin', figure out what yeh want to do and move forward on it.  If it gets around to recharter time and things still haven't gelled, da DE will either find a friendly CO to temporarily charter yeh as an additional unit or will help yeh do a "Friends of" charter. 

Beavah