I find the copious use of "Oh MY GOD" (OMG) to be just as offensive. I had to remind one scout (who was devout Catholic) of the Third Commandment and he was like, "what are you talking about?"

What are you talking about.  My grandmother used to OMG all the time "Oh, my goodness!"  A lot of this verbiage is a result of what people think these "words" mean, when in fact they have no idea.

@@blw2 teased me about flirting with the 3rd commandment.  What most people don't realize is most people don't know what that verbiage of the commandment really means anyway.  The problem lies in the double definition of the word "name".  We have assumed the wrong definition.  :)   When one gets to the Pearly Gates, St. Peter is going to straighten out a ton of people on this one.  :eek:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A little swearing humor: I was in a meeting of mixed gender members when one of my fellow male committee members let the 'F'-bomb slip. The woman sitting directly across from him took offense and eve

Does he say, "Holy cow!" a lot, too?

I think whether it is "normal" or "not normal" is not exactly the right question. In my opinion it is not acceptable. We as leaders should be modeling the behavior we want the Scouts to emulate, becau

i'm not sure if I know what you mean about the word "name" or not....

but you make a great point about definitions.... and it's even more than what they "think" the words mean.... it could also be about what they intend for them to mean, right?

so as an example, my derivation of the word Cheesh? 

is a distorted or disguised form of Jeez

which was a disguised or shortened form of Jesus.

SO, it 'seems' like in your heart you are saying Jesus

but then the question moves to under the context to which you are using his name.....in a vain or useless way.... for doing evil in his name....etc....

BUT I do realize that perhaps 99% of the folks out there using that word do not have any of that in their head at all....not at all....... but my question is this, what do they have in their heart when they say it?  Usually, it seems, it's said as some sort of negative reaction to a negative stimulus.....so even if they don't know what they are saying, does that make it right?

I have no idea the answer to that.... so I just personally try to avoid the potential conflict...not always successfully, but I try.

It's kinda hard to use "God's" name when in fact in the Judean-Christian-Islamic religion tradition we don't know what his name is.

God is what he is, not who he is.  Early writers didn't say God, they said he was the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob.  So what's his name?  I dunno.  :)

I think much hullabaloo about cursing is wasted energy. To me, the issue is nit specific words, their etymology, etc.. The real issue should be helping boys learn to speak eloquently as well as helping them understand how one speaks in polite company is a representation of themselves. Their choices of language are like a verbal uniform, it shows to others who you are inside. This is especially true when others know little about you.

• Upvote 2

It's kinda sad that in this day and age, it befalls the scouting program to teach the boys common courtesies that should have been taught years earlier.  We've gone from babysitters to virtual parents now.... and I'm not just referring to the boys.

I have many Jewish friends.  Never heard them say "OH MY G-D"

That's because they don't have a word for "God".  If I recall, they just leave a space for where it is referred to, such as "Oh my         ".

I have many Jewish friends.  Never heard them say "OH MY G-D"

Jewish stereotype for the NY/NY folks of Jewish persuasion. I have heard it before, just not as often as the stereotype suggests.

Now "meshuggah"? I hear THAT a great deal. ;) But that's for the same reasons.

It's kinda sad that in this day and age, it befalls the scouting program to teach the boys common courtesies that should have been taught years earlier.  We've gone from babysitters to virtual parents now.... and I'm not just referring to the boys.

I disagree. If the main mission of Scouts is to help the boys learn to make moral and ethical decisions, etc... Courtesy in language, dress, and action certainly falls within that mission. One might argue the values espoused within the Scout Law should have been taught earlier, yet we do not claim these values to be akin to Scouters being virtual parents. I see my role as complementing the values taught by the parents and community. The method of adult association allows me to be an example, so the boys see other adults demonstrating these values, and "common courtesies". I see this as part of our mission, as it always has been.

• Upvote 1

I disagree. If the main mission of Scouts is to help the boys learn to make moral and ethical decisions, etc... Courtesy in language, dress, and action certainly falls within that mission. One might argue the values espoused within the Scout Law should have been taught earlier, yet we do not claim these values to be akin to Scouters being virtual parents. I see my role as complementing the values taught by the parents and community. The method of adult association allows me to be an example, so the boys see other adults demonstrating these values, and "common courtesies". I see this as part of our mission, as it always has been.

I think, maybe, @@Stosh is lamenting that these values are less and less obvious among the youth and, therefore, are not being taught by the parents as they once were.

I often have (some) Scouts come right up to me as start a conversation without saying "Hello" or saying "Mr. Smith, may I ask you a question". They are usually the same Scouts and I always ask them to stop, then start over correctly. Eventually they get the message.

• Upvote 1

I disagree. If the main mission of Scouts is to help the boys learn to make moral and ethical decisions, etc... Courtesy in language, dress, and action certainly falls within that mission. One might argue the values espoused within the Scout Law should have been taught earlier, yet we do not claim these values to be akin to Scouters being virtual parents. I see my role as complementing the values taught by the parents and community. The method of adult association allows me to be an example, so the boys see other adults demonstrating these values, and "common courtesies". I see this as part of .

Exactly! Three scouts have giving me the credit for them becoming engineers. I wanted to ask them what they saw in me that motivated them to make that choice, but just asking the question seemed self serving. I honestly can't say where I influenced these scouts, and sometimes it scares to think of how much influence we have on boys. Good and bad, our every action is watched.

Barry

Swearing in other languages is still swearing...especially Italian! :)

I try not to around the boys but may mutter under my breath and apologize. I am less tolerant with more blasphemous swearing than scatological. If someone has cut them selves badly, crushed their hand in the trailer hitch, or is on fire I cut the boys and myself some slack. I do tell the boys that Gentlemen do not swear but there are exceptions such as being shot in the vitals or traumatic amputation of a major limb--and if they save it for such occasions it will seem more powerful and will release some stress.

I do actually say things like "Dang it all to Heck" and "What the Dang" to try to stop. I seem to swear at computers more than other things...

We have maybe 5 or 6 nationalities in our troops. Interestingly enough, those scouts typically don't cuss at all. I have never encountered a scout cussing in a foreign language. Everybody seems to be content to cuss in American English.