• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A little swearing humor: I was in a meeting of mixed gender members when one of my fellow male committee members let the 'F'-bomb slip. The woman sitting directly across from him took offense and eve

Does he say, "Holy cow!" a lot, too?

I think whether it is "normal" or "not normal" is not exactly the right question. In my opinion it is not acceptable. We as leaders should be modeling the behavior we want the Scouts to emulate, becau

I think whether it is "normal" or "not normal" is not exactly the right question. In my opinion it is not acceptable. We as leaders should be modeling the behavior we want the Scouts to emulate, because they will emulate it, especially if it is behavior that is less than ideal. You don't want Mrs. Smith to ask her son "Where did you hear that word" and have him say, "Oh, the Scoutmaster says it 10 times at every meeting."

Added part: I just re-read your post and saw the "swearing AT" part. So in addition to modeling poor behavior, now this (hypothetical?) person is verbally abusing the Scouts. Very not acceptable.

Not to say that I have never heard our Scoutmaster let slip a word he shouldn't. But he makes clear afterward that it was a mistake. (And yes, I do realize the kids know all of those words and some of them use them, but they still don't need to hear them from Scouters, and especially not have the words directed at them.)

Edited by NJCubScouter
  • Upvote 3

First of all welcome to the forum.

It would be helpful to understand more fully what is meant by swearing.  After all people swear everyday in every court of law in this country and no one bats an eye.

We use the rule of thumb, if you wouldn't say it in front of your priest, rabbi, etc., then don't say it. ;)

What if you ARE the priest, rabbi, (minister), etc.????  :eek:

What if you ARE the priest, rabbi, (minister), etc.????  :eek:

If using Latin or Yiddish it sounds more profound!! ;)

As in, "Mater tua tam obesa est ut cum Romae est urbs habet octo colles!"

Edited by Krampus
  • Upvote 1

I think it's all about context.

Swearing around or to a young person is not on. That said.... I remember helping some cubs put a tent on. I managed to hit my thumb with a mallet. Fact is that some Anglo Saxon slipped out my mouth. I'm sure most of us have been there. I also remember coming back from camp completely exhausted and finding our HQ had been burgled and thoroughly trashed from end to end. On that occasion I took a walk across the field out of ear shot while some robust language passed my lips. I'm sure we've all been there.

So basically no it's not acceptable but neither would I hang someone out to dry who has been a bit snappy on a one off occasion when roundly provoked!

• Upvote 1

Off colored verbiage has been around for a long time.  At some time or another every Saint has said something with too much inappropriate emphasis.  Shakespearean plays have much to offer.  It's at work, it's everywhere.  Swearing?  Everyone used to have to do it on a Bible to give testimony in a trial, now they just drop the Bible as if that did anything magical to the situation.

Everyone know what S**T means?  Sure scat

Every time I call someone a young pup, no one gets all that excited about it.

And the people who get hung up on it are generally well versed in the usage of such words.

Heck, (Oh, my, can I say heck?) my pre-school kids picked up on these words and brought them home having heard them somewhere.

No, in proper company it is best to avoid such language for the sake of using it to offend is probably not going to score a lot of points on the Emily Post Scale.

It might do better to pay attention to how words are used rather than just grabbing at words along the way thinking they are showing a sense of maturity when in fact just the opposite is displayed.  I find that being dressed down by someone who is exceptional articulate is more intimidating that hearing someone having a childish verbal tantrum.

So are we talking about swearing or are we talking about offensive language?  One might wish to articulate their thoughts using words and using the right words properly.  Or dang nabbit, someone's going to be offended and you'll need to go the soap routine.  Now 50 years ago, the soap wasn't too bad is you held it just right, but that pump of the liquid "stuff" has to be .nasty enough to make a sailor swear.

We had one adult leader who let them get under his skin and he unloaded on them with profanity. Those were his last words to be spoken as an adult leader in this unit.

• Upvote 1

I admit I've used an occasional word accidentally. I vividly remember saying in a loud voice " Oh (expletive deleted)! [scout's name] is really in trouble!" when I had my accident a few months back.

One thing I tried to do to avoid using the foudl language was use another language. Yes I learned a few words in Croatian, Russian, and Finnish. Only time I ever got in trouble was with the Croatian. I banged my hand letting a professor into the Gym and said something in Croat. He looked at me, and asked "Did I just call him...." To my embarrasment, I told him I tried to use Croatian et al since most people  don't know it. He had a very good laugh at my expense.

On a normal basis, no the language is unacceptable and needs to be stopped.