Best tent for Scoutmaster

I have these two tents: https://www.rei.com/product/862423/rei-quarter-dome-2-tentand https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/FlyCreekUL2.  My son typically uses the quarter dome for plop camping and I use the Fly Creek.  For backpacking, my son and I share the Fly Creek.

We're thinking about getting these for our new Troop tents -- sort of a throwback but in a ultralight model: https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/scoutul22016

But for a scoutmaster, THIS IS THE TENT: https://www.rei.com/product/897944/big-agnes-super-scout-ul-2-tentall for less than 3 pounds.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry, I use this one. Only just over 2lbs. I save weight on the tent and add it to the better air mattress.   At summer camp the places we go, unless high adventure, provide the tents, mattress an

well, I guess at that price point this one is out....

@@qwazse    There is no such thing as a wall "A-frame" tent.  It's one or the other.  I do have a real A-frame tent that I use for summer camp long-term camping when the camp doesn't provide a wall te

Yeah, but you just can't find good Civil War surplus anywhere anymore. ;)

:)  These were brand new tents,  brown in color so I don't know where they were from, definitely not military (white or green).  These were the days pre-free standing tents.  Stake raids were a popular pasttime. 

You should worry more about the sleeping pad than the Tent.  If you aren't going to go the way of the Hammock (which you will spend equally the same amount if not more for a Pad and Tent) the invest in a Quality Air Mat (ThermaRest or Big Agnes)

You can get a OneLink Eno and it has everything in it for 150.00.

You should worry more about the sleeping pad than the Tent.  If you aren't going to go the way of the Hammock (which you will spend equally the same amount if not more for a Pad and Tent) the invest in a Quality Air Mat (ThermaRest or Big Agnes)

You can get a OneLink Eno and it has everything in it for 150.00.

So true.  I have an REI Air Rail pad:  https://www.rei.com/product/845298/rei-airrail-15-self-inflating-sleeping-pad

I have back issues and it is very comfortable, doesn't slide out the side and is lightweight.

I'm laughing right now because we hear so much disdain for "plop" camping, and yet so many folks have these Taj Mahal tents with cots, mattresses, refrigerators and Jacuzzis. ;)

Tell me about it!  I was once a 1st year Parent!  Coleman 8 Man Insta tent, Queen size matress......I have now conformed.

I am rather confused though, don't summer camps have the tradition Platform Canvas Tents?

• Upvote 1

I am rather confused though, don't summer camps have the tradition Platform Canvas Tents?

I agree. Every place we have ever gone have the tents and a platform. Most have cots and mattresses. Only one time in 8 years did we need to bring our own cots.

Edited by Krampus

Thank you all for the comments, we are going to Quivera Scout Ranch and as far as I know there is not big tents provided.

I do sleep in an eno double nest hammock with a Yukon fly over it, don't get me wrong I love it but sometimes it sucks getting in and out of it.

Hikerdirect.com by ALPS Mountaineering has great deals for scouts.

Our summer camp has sites with and without standing tents.  We usually bring our own.

One of our ASMs went with this last year at summer camp, we had torrential rains all week and he stayed dry.  It has a center height of 7 feet.

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/products/tents/camping-tents/camp-creek

Thank you all for the comments, we are going to Quivera Scout Ranch and as far as I know there is not big tents provided.

I do sleep in an eno double nest hammock with a Yukon fly over it, don't get me wrong I love it but sometimes it sucks getting in and out of it.

I found the leader guide. Was surprised to see tents not provided. Very unusual but maybe that's Kansas?

Side note, I found the price pretty high for not providing tents and cots. Are similar camps in your area that high too?

Some of the camps we have been with charge you the same if you use their tents or your own. Also no difference in price if you eat in the mess hall or cook on your own.

Wow, really? I thought the largest cost of summer camp was the labor (staff) and the food.

Maybe it is just our region but summer camps with mess halls are more pricey than those where you cook on your own. Likewise, camps where you bring your own cot/mattress are slightly less costly than camps that provide them. Maybe it is a southwest thing.

Central WY Council's camp Camp Buffalo Bill, has no tents and costs more than my local Council camp.... and as an out of council troop we would need to pay $100 more, another $25 for late registration and the adults aren't free.  There's a big difference one has to check out when looking to go to any Scout Camp.  When one can do 9 days in BWCA at half the cost of 5 days of summer camp, the Scout is Thrifty comes into play rather quickly.

interesting.... I'm attending summer camp this year.... my 1st since I was a scout

and I was wondering about the tent situation

As I understand thy'll have the wall tents for us.... figured it was just the normal thing at all scout reservations...

but honestly I'd almost rather sleep in my tent, even though it's small.  i figure I'll sleep better on my mattress and on my own... and have been wondering if that would be frowned upon....

interesting.... I'm attending summer camp this year.... my 1st since I was a scout

and I was wondering about the tent situation

As I understand thy'll have the wall tents for us.... figured it was just the normal thing at all scout reservations...

but honestly I'd almost rather sleep in my tent, even though it's small.  i figure I'll sleep better on my mattress and on my own... and have been wondering if that would be frowned upon....

There are certain expectation rules for the boys.  Adults can do what every they wish.  I've done it both ways.  I kinda like my own tent over the big wall tents, but they are all right. 

Central WY Council's camp Camp Buffalo Bill, has no tents and costs more than my local Council camp.... and as an out of council troop we would need to pay $100 more, another $25 for late registration and the adults aren't free.  There's a big difference one has to check out when looking to go to any Scout Camp.  When one can do 9 days in BWCA at half the cost of 5 days of summer camp, the Scout is Thrifty comes into play rather quickly.

They are near Yellowstone so they charge a premium. Medicine Mountain is near Rushmore and is only $270...a better deal. We found the same thing with Colorado. BDSR was far cheaper than Alexander and, IMHO, in a much better and more scenic area.

I think the key is, if you look around you can find some great deals.

• Upvote 1