Best tent for Scoutmaster

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry, I use this one. Only just over 2lbs. I save weight on the tent and add it to the better air mattress.   At summer camp the places we go, unless high adventure, provide the tents, mattress an

well, I guess at that price point this one is out....

@@qwazse    There is no such thing as a wall "A-frame" tent.  It's one or the other.  I do have a real A-frame tent that I use for summer camp long-term camping when the camp doesn't provide a wall te

If it weren't for all the biting bugs and crawlys in this warm climate I live in, I'd consider more open camping sometimes, as Stosh describes

I take it you have never visited WI/MN in the summer time?  We gotcha beat on biting bugs and crawlys.  The mosquitoes up here are as bad as the tropics, have to wear bandana over mouth and nose at dawn/dusk to keep from breathing them in.

A poncho and mosquito netting is all one needs.  With a walking stick and stake, one doesn't even need the two trees to hang a hammock

Edited by Stosh

Those units appear to be a bit wide for most hiking trails.... :(

If it weren't for all the biting bugs and crawlys in this warm climate I live in, I'd consider more open camping sometimes, as Stosh describes

I take it you have never visited WI/MN in the summer time?  We gotcha beat on biting bugs and crawlys.  The mosquitoes up here are as bad as the tropics, have to wear bandana over mouth and nose at dawn/dusk to keep from breathing them in.

A poncho and mosquito netting is all one needs.  With a walking stick and stake, one doesn't even need the two trees to hang a hammock

I have been there.... but by bed time it cools down, the sweatshirts come out, the mosquitoes go wherever it is that they go, the camp fires get lit, ahhh..... good sleeping weather.

Down here, I think it gets hotter and muggier at bedtime in the summer....

(yeah, I know that this isn't always the case.  I've sweated through nights up there too.... it's just those nice cool summer evenings are my more favored memories)

I think they can cut their own trail.

you beat me to it KDD!

I was in the BWCA fishing off the shore the first day trying to rustle up some dinner.  I heard what I thought was a jet engine and wondered why airplanes were flying over when I know it was prohibited.  Well the black cloud forming off the tree canopy was the source of the noise.  A mad dash for the tents, forget the bear bag, they can have what they want, and we were done for the night.  The buzzed outside the tent ALL NIGHT LONG.  Never had that happen before.  Like you said, after sunset they settle down for the night. Not the N. MN guys, they are unbelievable.

^. I think I would take my chances with the Smoke Monster. I heard they will bite you through the tent fabric.

Yep, don't go to sleep leaning against the side of your tent.  Mosquitoes love that.

Never wear canvas tennis shoes either, those two little vent holes at the arches is a great place for black flies to get to your skin through your socks.  Yes, they can be quite persistent and they will bite a chuck of skin leaving a bleeding wound.

The chiggers are nasty, but the ones one has to watch out for are the buffalo gnats.  Imagine a mosquito bite welt the size of a quarter that will itch for a month.  I'd rather roll in poison ivy before putting up with those buggers.

Edited by Stosh

we've been having some yellow flies around the house lately and a few get in when the door is opened.  Last night I was hiving a conversation with my 8 year old daughter about them.  She was saying she hopes the die, or some such thing, so I was trying to flip it to hope they go someplace else kinda thing....

so the conversation came around to all creatures being put on this earth for a reason

but honestly, between the two of us we couldn't come up with one good thing these yellow flies do....

(except to strike a good conversation with my daughter...)

Perhaps the best tent for a SM would be one of those big Arabian tents like in the movies with all the pillows and servants. The SPL would have request an audience with the SM before being granted permission to enter. The SPL would only be allowed to only bring solutions to the SM not problems for fear of loosing a digit or limb. This could solve a whole lot of problems.

@@qwazse  :)  There is no such thing as a wall "A-frame" tent.  It's one or the other.  I do have a real A-frame tent that I use for summer camp long-term camping when the camp doesn't provide a wall tent.  It's the only tent I own that I can stand up in.  I have an old Kelty 3 man tent that I use most often, but for short term camping in cold weather the old 2 man army surplus pup tent gets dragged out.  I have a very short cot that fits in there nicely and with double vestibules on each end, it has plenty of room for a single person.  My Mrs. has a nice modern/nylon 4 man tent with double vestibules we use when she camps with the troop.  For kayaking I have a one-man tent that isn't much bigger than my sleeping bag.  You can stand up in it, but all the stakes come out of the ground when you do.

Ok, wall, but since I keep all flaps rolled up (skeeters fly in, then fly right out) 'cept in windy rain, all I see is "A". :D

@@qwazse I do have a real A-frame that I use for long term camping.  It has no floor so I have a military cot and a Rubbermaid bin for a night stand.  Because I bought it for Civil War reenacting, I have the hooks for the top beam to hang clothes and the hooks on the uprights that handle the hanging of lanterns.  It doesn't open up as much as a rolled up wall tent, but it affords a bit more privacy without having to drop walls.  If a major storm rolls in, I move the cot away from the walls, roll up the carpet piece I use as a floor and toss it in my fold up recliner lawn chair.  I've seen a lot of water roll through over the course of many reenactments, but never gotten wet.  It's heavy and the ridge pole and uprights are a pain.  Otherwise, it's a really nice setup.

Those two-man wall tents that summer camp just can't beat the patrol tents we had when I was in scouts.  All 8 of us in a large wall tent.  We didn't know it but I think we originated the basis for glamping with those things.  They were great.  :)

Those two-man wall tents that summer camp just can't beat the patrol tents we had when I was in scouts.  All 8 of us in a large wall tent.  We didn't know it but I think we originated the basis for glamping with those things.  They were great.  :)

Yeah, but you just can't find good Civil War surplus anywhere anymore. ;)