:)  Seriously I have no idea where my WB necker, woggle and beads are right now.  It's been years since I wore them.   I have two rows of knots, no service stars, a temp patch indicating Scoutfest 1993.

Seriously, what does one do about the new unit award when they are working on setting up their second and third units?  :)

Obviously we need a series of pinned devices that can augment your "New Unit" award... perhaps a Bronze Tent device for the 2nd new unit, then a Gold Tent for #3, and a Silver Tent for #4.  Fifth new unit established, you'd wear a Silver Tent and a Bronze Tent, etc., kinda like Eagle Palms.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have seen this also. One of our guys at district has 4 rows of knots.   I actually have to uniform shirts-one I wear for everyday meetings and activities and one I wear on "formal occasions". Form

I prefer encouraging words over coddling. IMO, the latter just produces kids who grow to feel entitled and work the system.   Awards should be earned. There are enough Special Snowflake Awards out t

Are we limiting to official BSA non-rank awards? For example, there are tons of historic trail awards you can get that are not official BSA awards.

Obviously we need a series of pinned devices that can augment your "New Unit" award... perhaps a Bronze Tent device for the 2nd new unit, then a Gold Tent for #3, and a Silver Tent for #4.  Fifth new unit established, you'd wear a Silver Tent and a Bronze Tent, etc., kinda like Eagle Palms.

The interesting thing about it is that I have started over 40 units from scratch.  I did work for an Iowa council  back in the 70's setting up Explorer posts and since coming to my current council I have started 2 crews and a troop.

Or maybe I could just go with the charm bracelet idea..... or maybe the beads like they used to do for Cubbing.  Or a patch for every unit so I could have a memory quilt.  Ooooh  the possibilities are endless.

Your idea about the little tent pins is nice, but I don't want to walk around looking like a state park campground on the 4th of July Weekend.

Edited by Stosh

I don't know where the 98% comes from but CS used to have monthly patches scouts just got for being at the pack meeting. Maybe that has changed.

Sadly, it looks like CS has added a bunch of patches that are "earned" by doing requirements. They used to only do that for Tigers with the Tiger beads. By time you reached Wolf you got BLs or pins if you did work, then your rank. That was basically it for most ranks.

I'm not sure I agree with more bling just for doing requirements that, in the past, were part of another patch. That would be like giving a Star Scout patches for completing his MBs, completing his POR, his service, etc.

Slightly confused here...what patches do the kids earn to get their rank? They earn belt loops from Tiger to Bear and pins for Webelos (4th and 5th grade), each representing something they did. They also can do (my pack is doing this) a lot of extra electives to get used to the different things before they get to Boy Scouts. One of the ones I am making my son do is the Castaway Adventure, where he has to learn how to live off the grid and what to do when he is lost.

I am embarrassed by the bling on some adult (boy) scouters...there seems almost a relationship by the number of patches crammed on the tan shirt and the proximity to the Council power structure. Conversely the SM with a length of rope on his belt loop often indicates a guy who really interacts with his Scouts.

I'd love to see a correlation on patches and wood badgers. 

I have seen this also. One of our guys at district has 4 rows of knots.

I actually have to uniform shirts-one I wear for everyday meetings and activities and one I wear on "formal occasions". Formal occasions are pretty much limited to courts of honor, as a general rule. The former has nothing but required troop and unit patches. The other I refer to as my "Russian general" uniform shirt. I have also worn the Russian general shirt in situations where I want to bolster credibility, like at disciplinary hearings. 

• Upvote 2

I have seen this also. One of our guys at district has 4 rows of knots.

I actually have to uniform shirts-one I wear for everyday meetings and activities and one I wear on "formal occasions". Formal occasions are pretty much limited to courts of honor, as a general rule. The former has nothing but required troop and unit patches. The other I refer to as my "Russian general" uniform shirt. I have also worn the Russian general shirt in situations where I want to bolster credibility, like at disciplinary hearings. 

I do exactly the same thing, but I don't have the Russian General uniform, I have the Banana Republic Dictator uniform.  I think it might have more bling than yours.  :)

The interesting thing about it is that I have started over 40 units from scratch.  I did work for an Iowa council  back in the 70's setting up Explorer posts and since coming to my current council I have started 2 crews and a troop.

Or maybe I could just go with the charm bracelet idea..... or maybe the beads like they used to do for Cubbing.  Or a patch for every unit so I could have a memory quilt.  Ooooh  the possibilities are endless.

Your idea about the little tent pins is nice, but I don't want to walk around looking like a state park campground on the 4th of July Weekend.

well, if you've started 40 units from scratch, with my award idea you'd be walking with a severe list to the left... probably not good on the knees/ankles.

• Upvote 1