Serious question from a non-WBer:  

What was the point of the assigned project?   Though I appreciate the hard work that went into the research and page building, frankly it seems like a big homework drill.  

The criteria for all these awards can be found in current BSA literature.   A search engine can find them quickly. 

Probably was one of his goals for his tickets. You see a lot of projects like this done in the name of WB ticket completion.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have seen this also. One of our guys at district has 4 rows of knots.   I actually have to uniform shirts-one I wear for everyday meetings and activities and one I wear on "formal occasions". Form

I prefer encouraging words over coddling. IMO, the latter just produces kids who grow to feel entitled and work the system.   Awards should be earned. There are enough Special Snowflake Awards out t

Are we limiting to official BSA non-rank awards? For example, there are tons of historic trail awards you can get that are not official BSA awards.

Probably was one of his goals for his tickets. You see a lot of projects like this done in the name of WB ticket completion.

It sounded like a patrol project, not a ticket item.  I'm going to be really surprised to find out that the WB instructors are dictating ticket projects nowadays.

I do know they have shortened up the ticket time period from 24 to 18 months.  I would never have gotten my ticket done in that short of a time period.  I worked on it every week for 2 years.  I guess it was a pretty extensive project, but it did produce 6 Eagles in the long run.

The more I find out about WB and NYLT, the more I'm glad I don't have to do it over again like they suggested.

It sounded like a patrol project, not a ticket item.  I'm going to be really surprised to find out that the WB instructors are dictating ticket projects nowadays.

In my area they "suggest" your goals for tickets. [wink, wink]

Really?  I thought this was supposed to be something the individual decides is important to his scouting contribution, not someone else's. 

Really?  I thought this was supposed to be something the individual decides is important to his scouting contribution, not someone else's. 

You answered your own question. ;)

Serious question from a non-WBer:  

What was the point of the assigned project?   Though I appreciate the hard work that went into the research and page building, frankly it seems like a big homework drill.  

The criteria for all these awards can be found in current BSA literature.   A search engine can find them quickly. 

This was our Patrol Project that can be used to benefit everyone within our council. I believe it was a way to use what were learning there to work together while we were away to present to the Troop. It kind of was a homework drill, but we all chose something that we wanted to know more about anyway (at least our Troop did).

We knew it could be found in BSA literature, but it was difficult to figure out who was allowed to earn it. Although a Google search can find it, we felt as though it would show those that are not as well known. How do you know what to Google if you don't know it exists.

Sorry, I am not seeing the value in another website. IMO, most scouts/scouters search for awards by topic not by credit/advancement or they "just do it" without asking for an award.

I award you one no-prize with apologies to Stan Lee.

The value was that sometimes a kid needs a little recognition for what they do. This allows leaders to see what levels can earn what and how to quickly get to the information to ensure the Scout is recognized for an achievement of some kind.

Are we limiting to official BSA non-rank awards? For example, there are tons of historic trail awards you can get that are not official BSA awards.

This was kind of the point to why we (my patrol) chose this project. It is very unclear as to what Scouts can earn. I noticed that some "awards" said that they cannot wear them on their uniform and some didn't say they could not. I believe that if they meet the requirements then they can do it.

It was just a patrol project. I would not do this for a ticket goal. My ticket has more meaning than this... :)

No one, that I know of, was given a suggestion for their tickets or goals. They do not tell us what to do for our ticket, only how to word it so we are not stuck and cannot finish it. My ticket is about ensuring Cub Scouts are prepared as much as possible to transition to Boy Scouts and not be so overwhelmed by the change in how leadership works and how to be a leader themselves. The only suggestion I was given was to not say I would get 3 Den Chiefs for my pack, only that I would develop guidance for my Den Leaders and develop Pack training for the Den Chiefs to ensure they understand how our Pack operates. This was because I cannot control Boy Scouts or Venturers volunteering to be Den Chiefs, which is a valid point.

Edited by David14

I thought the new program was supposed to be better.....

I am not sure how the old WB program was, but I enjoyed my program now. The staff were incredible and very knowledgeable in the workings of what was being taught. I had some experience in leadership in the past, but it was military leadership...in the Marines....which is way different than being a leader of Scouts and their volunteer parents. Just my 2 cents on that :happy:

This was kind of the point to why we (my patrol) chose this project. It is very unclear as to what Scouts can earn. I noticed that some "awards" said that they cannot wear them on their uniform and some didn't say they could not. I believe that if they meet the requirements then they can do it.

You can wear these awards on your uniform, they are just not BSA issue.

The AOL award is earned in Cub Scouts and is worn on the Cub Scout uniform until they cross over to a Troop, it is one of two patches that carry over to the Scout uniform, the religious knot and the AOL patch that was awarded to the Cub.  It is not awarded to a Boy Scout

The value was that sometimes a kid needs a little recognition for what they do. This allows leaders to see what levels can earn what and how to quickly get to the information to ensure the Scout is recognized for an achievement of some kind.

We old grey-beards say "Good job"; it suffices. :D