Who's running the show?

Stosh

With the troop at my church the leaders tried a variety of methods, PLC, no PLC, SPL, no SPL, but what really seemed to be the issue was the way the program direction being controlled by the adult leaders instead of the boys. So a suggestion was made to the troop adult leaders to let the boys have the control and the boys decided to try a 1910 original BP style campout. It was a great success and the boys even left all their electronics in their packs. Mother Nature was the star and the boys had a ball fishing, rafting, and mountain climbing.

It's always a surprise to the adults to find out that THEIR ideas of what the boys want and what the boys REALLY want are often times miles apart.

Stosh

With the troop at my church the leaders tried a variety of methods, PLC, no PLC, SPL, no SPL, but what really seemed to be the issue was the way the program direction being controlled by the adult leaders instead of the boys. So a suggestion was made to the troop adult leaders to let the boys have the control and the boys decided to try a 1910 original BP style campout. It was a great success and the boys even left all their electronics in their packs. Mother Nature was the star and the boys had a ball fishing, rafting, and mountain climbing.

WHAT?!!?  No program?  No schedule?  No structure? No S.T.E.M.?  No competitions?  No bling awards? No learning?  You had Climb on Safety, right?  Everyone had passed the swim test, right?  You had your ASM's there with clipboards and pens in case someone did a requirement, right?  MB counselors, duly registered to cover the fishing, swimming and climbing?  Did they have trailers and gas stoves back in 1910?  All that and the boys still had a blast?  Really?  I find that hard to believe!

Well done, @@BadenP, congrats to your adults, and welcome to the fun side of scouting.