blog or forum that is more Youth focused?

Does any of our wisened participants here know of any blog, discussion forum, or any other resource or place that a scout could go to have a similar experience that we have here?

I understand that youth members could easily participate here, but I sense that they rarely if ever do, and the discussions are mostly adult focused.....

I got to thinking that it would be wonderful if anyone knew of something that energetic scouts could be pointed too as an option....

I get the feeling that it really is mostly "the blind - leading the blind- following the adult" at the unit level.  They know no different and so they just plug along making the most out of what they are dealt.

This came to mind, starting with a thought I had that I would like to plant a seed in the minds of the SPL and other scouts.... that it might be ok to politely and respectfully tell a SM or other offending adult.... when they might be butting in or otherwise rambling on about something....

"it's ok Mr. X, I've got this.  I think Mr. Y might need help with his cup of coffee over there..."

But really, that message wold be oh so much more meaningful, perhaps, if it were planted in the heads of scouts by other scouts....

I should have have clarified

I'm hoping for youth run

written or led by a "youth" scout

etc....

not just directed at them.

maybe a podcast

or a youtube channel perhaps?

where do the 'energetic' scouts go?

Seriously?  If Scouts of any age want insight into what goes on in the minds of the adults running their show, what better place than to be lurking on this forum?  We've had a couple introduce themselves and post a bit, but I would like to see more youth participation on THIS forum. 

I know it's a stretch with the name SCOUTER.COM, but I'm all for maybe opening a category that caters to the under 18 group!  I for one would like to hear their concerns!

@@Stosh, what would that subforum look like?

@@blw2, the challenge is all Scouts grow up. For a youth to run a forum that passes off to youth members is something I dont think 99.99 % of youth would make.

Enoch Heise? Has one called "Scouting Rediscovered". He might have been a youth when he started the blog, but hes definetly an adult now.

I agree with Stosh.

I think this forum is just fine for both youth and adult scouters.

Having a completely separate forum/blog would frankly lead to the "children's table" effect.   Such a place may be a neat location to hang out and vent among like-minded participants.   But it's a form of isolation.   Perspectives aren't broadened.

I saw this dynamic during my military career.   The company grade officers council, or the junior enlisted groups--good places to be with peers.   However, to be truly challenged?   That won't happen in a comfort zone with peers.

A couple more thoughts.  

Growing up BC (Before Computers), my most formative learning experiences as a senior scout (SPL and then JASM) were when my SM took me along to every district RT and some of his scout leader training courses.   I was welcomed by all, learned a great deal from everyone, and was asked on occasion for my opinions and perspectives.   Pretty cool stuff for your average 16 year old.   It all served me well when I became an ASM and SM later.

Here at scouter.com, we've seen several scout participants over the years.   Most are here briefly, and then depart.   They've got other things going on in life.   A few got their feelings hurt and never returned because they received frank but professional feedback about a question or concern or opinion they had, but that seems to be society as a whole these days, and not just this forum.

All told, I think this forum is fine, as is.   

• Upvote 1

Title it something like "From the Scout perspective"  "Boy Led"  or something to catch the eye of the younger crowd.  All topics must be originated by Scouts under 18 and the adults have to majorly behave themselves if they post in it.  Like @@desertrat77 says, something that doesn't make it feel like the kid's table.

@@Stosh, I think that would work.

I too welcome the scouts' perspectives.

However, I think we are going against a cultural tide.   Here in the US, youth = cool/smart; adult = old/washed up/clueless.   It's always been a dynamic in our society, but never more so than in 2016.  

Nonetheless, if both parties are willing to listen, and abide by the oath/law, a great deal of learning can be accomplished.

Edited by desertrat77

@@desertrat77  But one forgets the secret weapon!  Adults from 30-60 are the old foggies, the parents, the washed up clueless ones.  Those 60+ somehow get exempt from that.  :)  I have noticed that within the last 5-10 years the kids are more receptive to the same ideals I lived by 30 years ago. I haven't changed, but the perception has.  I'm thinking it's either the Santa Claus Syndrome or the Grandpa Syndrome working for me.  Then again it might just be my charming personality.... or it might just be that I heavily promote and protect the boy-led, patrol-method operation of a Boy Scout troop.  Or last, but not least, they realize I've been around the block enough that they aren't going to pull something new over my eyes.  :)

Take your pick,  I'm thinking it might just be my charming personality.....

I do spend a lot of time listening and watching and I'm thinking the boys realize this.  I don't raise my voice and I don't react the way they think I should. 

I would really like to know more about the 2016 Scout youth of today.  I know what's important to my boys, but I don't necessarily know what's on the minds of the boys in the small towns and big cities around the country.

@@desertrat77  But one forgets the secret weapon!  Adults from 30-60 are the old foggies, the parents, the washed up clueless ones.  Those 60+ somehow get exempt from that.  :)  I have noticed that within the last 5-10 years the kids are more receptive to the same ideals I lived by 30 years ago. I haven't changed, but the perception has.  I'm thinking it's either the Santa Claus Syndrome or the Grandpa Syndrome working for me.  Then again it might just be my charming personality.... or it might just be that I heavily promote and protect the boy-led, patrol-method operation of a Boy Scout troop.  Or last, but not least, they realize I've been around the block enough that they aren't going to pull something new over my eyes.  :)

Take your pick,  I'm thinking it might just be my charming personality.....

I do spend a lot of time listening and watching and I'm thinking the boys realize this.  I don't raise my voice and I don't react the way they think I should. 

I would really like to know more about the 2016 Scout youth of today.  I know what's important to my boys, but I don't necessarily know what's on the minds of the boys in the small towns and big cities around the country.

Stosh, no doubt your charming personality is the key factor!  :) :)

My ribbing aside, your insight has given me hope for future years.   I'm not far from that over 60 demographic. 

There is a need for that good listening.   I've noticed that some youth are amazed when you listen to them.   Doesn't matter whether it's at church, scouts or sports.   I get the impression that many of them are isolated due the circumstances of their life.   Though social media has its benefits, it's still no replacement for a good conversation around a campfire.   Scouter.com can help fill that niche.

Edited:  We don't need to "church up" the website, be it software or organization, for the young folks.  Just add the subforum you mentioned, and we'll be set.  They figure things out pretty quickly.

Edited by desertrat77

agreed, I would also welcome more perspective here from Scouts... and I have noticed the ood post form time to time, as well as wondered about lurking....

But in those rare occasions, it seems like sometimes WE forget that in our discussions..... 

Regardless, I agree and would welcome that

but

my question wasn't about "making" that happen here

it is more about

have any of you heard any of your scouts talking about, or have you seen them go to or reference anything like it.

Where DO they go?

I'm thinking youtube might  be a more likely format.....