Eagle and recommendation from the pastor

I've seen the 'conversation' this requirement starts end up being more of an inquisition. As a leader I basically can't say anything either and I've left the EBOR feeling as betrayed as the scout who got raked over the coals as a result.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, I'd kinda stay away from smart-alecky remarks when it comes to one's religion. 

You have made a value judgement about a Scouts faith. Is that the direction you want to take?

I am pretty discouraged with the whole Eagle process. Paper chase is right. Just the marketability of having the Eagle as the worlds greatest Life Scout gets little cred. 

Just to echo what some others have said.  The actual letters are strongly recommended (no pun intended) by my council, but they are not officially required.  All that is required is to write people names and contact information on the application.

If a "Letter of Reference" is an essential part of the Eagle Application, then BSA needs to state that in the requirement. That's all I'm saying. When I represent the District on EBOR, once in awhile all of the letters are not received by the EBOR date. What am I supposed to do? Reschedule? No. We proceed...since it's not a "requirement" anyway.

@Stosh- not sure how they get

And some councils will not accept an Eagle application without them even if they are not required.....

Not sure how they get away with that. In our neck of the woods, the References are requested by the troop committee, sent directly back to the troop committee, and then destroyed after the EBOR. No one sees them (or should) except the EBOR members. The only thing submitted to Council is the Eagle Application (duly signed) and an Advancement Report.
  • Upvote 1

How are EBOHs set up in general or how are they supposed to be set up? In my old district there was a district level volunteer staff that conducted them 3 weeks nights a month and unit committees were not part of it. I was told in my new district it is conducted by the Unit Committee and includes a district representative.

How are EBOHs set up in general or how are they supposed to be set up? In my old district there was a district level volunteer staff that conducted them 3 weeks nights a month and unit committees were not part of it. I was told in my new district it is conducted by the Unit Committee and includes a district representative.

It depends. I think there are a few threads where this was discussed before, but I can tell you how mine are done.

The unit is responsible for working with the candidate to get everything lined up. When we are ready to have them we contact the district rep and he comes and sits in on the EBOR. There are usually 2-3 adults from our unit, including our Eagle coordinator or advancement chair. Usually nor more than 4-5 people including the district chair.

Due to the large volume of Scouts in my district, they could not do a centralized EBOR on a set night during the month. There are just too many kids to review.

@Stosh- not sure how they getNot sure how they get away with that. In our neck of the woods, the References are requested by the troop committee, sent directly back to the troop committee, and then destroyed after the EBOR. No one sees them (or should) except the EBOR members. The only thing submitted to Council is the Eagle Application (duly signed) and an Advancement Report.

They can't get away with it. What councils are accused of doing this?

Barry

They can't get away with it. What councils are accused of doing this?

Barry

With what?  That's SOP in our district as well. The references are sent to our SM, who gives them to the EBOR committee.  The references are destroyed after the EBOR.  All the Council needs is the Eagle Application signed by the relevant people. 

With what?  That's SOP in our district as well. The references are sent to our SM, who gives them to the EBOR committee.  The references are destroyed after the EBOR.  All the Council needs is the Eagle Application signed by the relevant people. 

Same here, except they go to the Eagle Advisor who collects them and gives them to the EBOR. They are read and then destroyed. The candidate can ask to have them read in his presence if he so desires.

In my council, EBOR are scheduled and performed by the Unit Committee (like all BOR), with a District Rep present. The District Rep's job is to ensure an appropriate BOR is conducted, i.e., reasonable time limit, no retesting, no inappropriate questions, SM,ASM and parents not participating, etc. Council does not get involved except to "pre-approve" the Eagle app, the Registrar certifying that the advancement records are all correct. The District Advancement Chairman approves the Eagle Project plan before the Scout starts work. When the EBOR is complete, everything is given back to the Scout, except the Application and Letters of Reference. The letters are destroyed and the App goes to Council for forwarding to National. Parents will be told it can take up to 8 weeks to get back, then they can have the COH (or not).

If it were a church of da flyin' spaghetti monster reference, I'd probably ask the lad if he really felt it was reverent to satirize other folks' faiths. 

Beavah

And that Scout would ask if you really felt calling his faith satirical was reverent.

• Upvote 1