Oh, I'm so sorry.  Sending my warm thoughts and prayers to all the families in your troop!

Krampus

Just two days ago, i listened to this podcast

http://scoutmastercg.com/scoutmaster-podcast-314-scouting-email-questions/

one of the questions was regarding a death of a troop parent, and how Clarke was out of his element.  I hope you have someone you can talk with and get support from like he did.  Perhaps a counselor to come to your next troop meeting as in Clarke's story.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Epilogue   We spent the two and a half weeks since this tragedy helping the families to heal, to help the troop and friends find a way to grieve and remember our lost Scout, and to find a way to mov

To All-   Just popping my head back in to give an update. For obvious reasons I am not giving details of what transpired.   Our Scout was lost last Friday on his way to an event. A second Scout wa

It's my sad duty to report we lost one of our Scouts tonight. The other is in serious condition.   I appreciate your thoughts and prayers. Not sure I'll be around here much for a while. We've got a

It is always hard when a good Scout leaves us before his time.  

Krampus, The fact that you are spreading this need is evidence of your quality.  The Good Scout does what needs to be done even before the need is recognized by the person needing it.  Sometimes the best thing is just "be there"  for them.  Listening, offering to take on a usual need (lawn mowing?  Trash pick up?  Sit younger kids?  A ready made meal?  ) that takes up some slack for the grieving family. 

I will mention this at Meeting First Day, tomorrow, to hold the family "In the Light".   God be with you and them.

• Upvote 1

Very sorry to hear of the outcome.  Im pretty new around here and we dont know each other, but I have very recent experience with losing a Scout in my Troop - mine was a first year Scout.  If you'd like to talk to someone who is not so close to your unit, just holler and I'll send you my number.

Jay

It's my sad duty to report we lost one of our Scouts tonight. The other is in serious condition.

I appreciate your thoughts and prayers. Not sure I'll be around here much for a while. We've got a family in need of love and support.

Hug your kids. Hug your grand kids. Remember what's important.

You indeed have a dark and long road ahead. We'll walk it with you.

By way of suggestion, here is what we did ...

A select few ... mrs. q and the pastor talked and prayed with the family directly.

Our council's director of field service provided counseling and did a lot of social work.

I wrote a quick tribute, echoing some of the boys' feelings that I had overheard, and circulated it on the troop E-mail.

Gathered the scout family together the next day. A quick prayer, then the boys played some games downstairs while we adults shed our tears.

We agreed that nobody would talk to the press. The family certainly didn't want to, and we wanted our boys clear of any cameras. The pastor directed any inquiries, including the TV news van who tried to park outside the church, to the council service center.

The family asked me to talk to one reporter for the obituary ... I gave her the statement that I had written for the troop. She was none to pleased that no other interview was forthcoming, I was courteous but firm that what I had written would be the sum content of any interview and assured her that we had not published it elsewhere.

Scouts and scouters selected one hour when we would pay respects at the funeral home.

Our Eagle Scouts were honor guards at the memorial service.

Later, with the church and family's permission, we planted a tree in the boy's honor. It stands about 30' today. And means a whole lot to the mom for her to see it.

On scout Sunday, we signed and presented a "Lost on the trail to Eagle" plaque.

That's mostly what we did. I think it was all helpful. But, there's still a little hole left empty at CoHs and graduations, etc ...

• Upvote 1

A long time ago when I was 15 or so we lost a scout to a lighting strike at Phimont.  We all wanted to do something anything at all for the family but we felt so awkward and helpless.  For most of us it was the first time death had come so close. We had no idea what we were supposed to say or do.  The family was very kind, even in their grief they reached out to us and asked if we would provide two scouts to stand beside the coffin during viewing hours. We had to do it in half hour shifts because every scout in the troop demanded a turn.  

Krampus  from some comments you made in the past I think you are somewhere in the Washington DC area as am I.  If so and if I or the local OA can be of any help whatsoever we would consider it an honor to be asked.  

Still praying for you all

Oldscout448

• Upvote 1

They may be someone else's kids, but we all know that deep down, they are ours as well. 

My prayers for you and everyone in your situation will be there for quite some time.

My first experience with a death in scouting was my best friend.  50 years later, it's still just like yesterday.

Edited by Stosh
  • Upvote 1

We just lost our Committee Chairman last month, way too early and are still mourning.  It's even worse with a youth.  Prayers from Illinois to you and your Scouting family.

Dale

• Upvote 1