Vol 2 of the Troop Leader's Guidebook will soon be out!

Volume 2 of the Troop Leader's Guidebook will soon be out!  Link

This one is supposed to be written for experienced Troop Leaders.  

IF YOU were writing this volume, what topics would you include?

Edited by KenD500

I like the idea that it includes working with kids with special needs, that really should be in Volume 1.  

Assessing and evaluating how your troop is doing could be helpful if done well.

Phrases like "level up" and "visioning" make me cringe.

A whole chapter on Patrol Method

Another on really boy led

Another on the difference between Leadership and Management

Another on how to get over being an adult/parent and start trusting your boys.

• Upvote 3

a chapter on the business end of committee stuff.

clarifying the situations without the vague dancing around.... and "it depends".....because it really doesn't "just depend", as is so often stated.  It IS either  A, B, or C....etc....

.... clarifying things like the charter org relationship, taxes, banking, etc.... which I'm finding have changed recently

and you could probably mix in the same chapter something about how the various committee responsibilities stand and mix, in relationship to scouts, parents, etc....

A reprint of the 5th Edition Scoutmaster Handbook.

Vol, vol 2. *spit* How about sticking it in one actual book, slap some Norman Rockwell scout art on the cover and call it a Scoutmaster's Handbook. Dog gone it.

I must respectfully disagree as I channel KUDU. Reprint the 3rd ed. SMHB volumes 1 and 2. From what I've been told and saw in a later SMHB  Green Bar Bill, all his other SMHBs are condensed versions of the 3rd. ed.

I must respectfully disagree as I channel KUDU. Reprint the 3rd ed. SMHB volumes 1 and 2. From what I've been told and saw in a later SMHB  Green Bar Bill, all his other SMHBs are condensed versions of the 3rd. ed.

Hi there!

Ya lost me at "Channel KUDU" (I don't know what that is).

The latest FUN from national scout shop when this morning I went to order Vol 2 is that they STILL don't have 'em and they have absolutely no idea when they will get it, but they vehemently STILL blame the publisher. *shrug* Darn it. I don't know if that is true or not, that's been the story they have handed me as far back as September 2015 when I first tried to get my grubby paws on it. I don't know who they use for a publisher, but if it's true that it's the publisher's fault, they might want to consider a more "motivated" publisher to print those goodies up before we all break out with the SMHB measles. 

Hi there!

Ya lost me at "Channel KUDU" (I don't know what that is).

Do a forum search on Kudu.  He's a forum member who has set the tone for many of the boy led, patrol method champions on the forum.  Yes, he is one that lived at the extreme, but the ideas he presented make a ton of sense.  Any time someone is Channeling Kudu, they are harkening back to the "good old days" of scouting in a very good way.  Scouting would be a lot different today if we all had Kudu for a SM.  And I mean that in a good way.  I use a lot of his work when dealing with my boys.  His website is www.inquiry.net  I miss his posts a lot!

\\http://www.inquiry.net/

Edited by Stosh
  • Upvote 1

Do a forum search on Kudu.  He's a forum member who has set the tone for many of the boy led, patrol method champions on the forum.  Yes, he is one that lived at the extreme, but the ideas he presented make a ton of sense.  Any time someone is Channeling Kudu, they are harkening back to the "good old days" of scouting in a very good way.  Scouting would be a lot different today if we all had Kudu for a SM.  And I mean that in a good way.  I use a lot of his work when dealing with my boys.  His website is www.inquiry.net  I miss his posts a lot!

\\http://www.inquiry.net/

Ahhhh! Now it makes sense. 

• Upvote 1

I'd really like to see a best known practice section.  National tried it once with a forum attached to myscouting.org but it didn't have much.

yeah, seems like a good idea.... but then again if you boil down the whole program and all the books, isn't that what it already is?  I mean the whole thing really is about one program, using the patrol method.  But then throwing in "best" opens things up to opinion.

I go back to something I was thinking a while ago, that EVERYTHING could really be so much more simple that it is.  There really is just but one program, and there really is just ONE best way of doing it (at the core of it anyway)

Vol, vol 2. *spit* How about sticking it in one actual book, slap some Norman Rockwell scout art on the cover and call it a Scoutmaster's Handbook. Dog gone it.

ahh, a cover.... that would actually park itself up on a shelf nicely.  WOW, what a concept!  I love it!

I really do dislike the 3-ring binder concept.

I'm a hard backed book person myself, for things that I want to hold onto as a reference.

But I have heard the argument for digital versions, and in the case of this sort of stuff I could buy into that idea too.  Much more portable and searchable too.