Errors in May, 2016 version of YPT App

I am told the YPT on-line app is being changed repeatedly.  Change, as always, is not the same as improvement

Apart from needing six tries to get into the application and complete all steps,  the following problems appeared.

1. Policy 9 of 21          There is no basis to conclude that the small illustration excludes a second adult from being "on the trip or outing."  Eventually, I guessed that is what the builder of the app was after (violation of the two-deep policy), even though there is no logical basis to select that answer.  That answer was the least incorrect answer.

2. Policy 13 of 21        On the "logic" of 9 of 21, a correct answer is that the two-deep rule is violated.  Only one possible adult appears in the illustration.

Since one of the figures shown as involved in cliff-climbing is wearing no safety gear and is bare-chested, a correct answer is that the Appropriate Attire policy is being violated, but the app does not accept that correct answer.

The builder of the app was looking for another answer - proper preparation for high adventure.  That answer is less correct as one must assume facts not given to decide that proper preparation has not taken place.  All the proper preparation in the world does not guarantee 100% proper performance.

3. Policy 14 of 21        This question exhibits the same error as 13 of 21.  The same improperly attired figure is shown, but that answer is not accepted.  Nor, on the "logic" of 9 of 21, will the App accept the answer that the Two-Deep rule is violated.  Instead, one must answer that the policy implicated is proper youth leader training and supervision.  The facts that would allow one to conclude that such a policy has been violated are absent.  Indeed, none of the figures shows any evidence of holding a leadership position.

4.  Policy 18 of 21       For the third time, we have a figure involved in cliff climbing with no safety gear and bare-chested.  NOW the answer that the policy implicated is Appropriate Attire is accepted.

5. When moving to the next part of the app (at least using Explore and Windows), a black window "scoutnet.com" covers the screen.  It must be closed to continue.  This same error occurs at each move to a new part of the app.

6.  When asked what to do when it seems apparent that a child is being physically abused at home, the only answer accepted is to contact the Scout Exec.  According to BSA policy, as taught previously in the app, the correct answer is to contact the appropriate government agency AND the Scout Executive.

7.  4 of 5          The only answer accepted is based on the facts that: a) The Scout accused the SA of abuse; and b) the Scout broke down and admitted his accusation was false.  However, neither of those dispositive  facts was disclosed before an answer was required.  One only learns those facts in the explanation language after one has answered.

8. I scored 100%, and should since I teach YPT and words were my profession.  When I clicked the button to finish, the app disappeared without an opportunity to print out the paper validation required due to the failure to automate validation.

9. Told to go to MyScouting.org to get my certificate, I found that the "print" link supposedly present under Training Validation did not exist - at least for me.  I use Chrome and Windows 7.

Programming can be challenging.  Here, the challenge has defeated the BSA IT people.

I can't get a certificate.  Not one of the three councils where I Scout will accept a screen shot of the Training Validation page showing I finished YPT.  When we need more help, BSA is making it harder to help.

Anyone have an emoticon of rolling heads?.

Edited by TAHAWK

Nope.   Have never seen the certificate - if it exists.

Here is as far as I have gotten in six hours today. 

In the old world of MyScouting,org, there was a way to print a "replacement" certificate.  Those directions are still on line from Scouting.org, but don't work in the new environment.  The tab they tell you to click no longer exists.

In the new world of My.Scouting.Org [note period between "my" and "Scouting" ]  it is assumed that you complete the training app and print out a certificate.  No way to print a "replacement" has been provided - at least not yet..  

So if you finish the app and it simply congratulates you and closes without ever giving a chance to print your certificate, as happened to me and at least three others I talked to Tuesday, the only way to get a certificate is to -- WAIT FOR  IT! - retake the training.  Oh joy; oh joy.  :o

I could have taught eight YPT courses in the time I've wasted today and Tuesday.

I just got out of bed and tried it on Chrome under Windows 10. Once on "my dashboard" the heading is My Training. YPT Status is listed with a little printer icon. When I click that icon a dialog box appears "Select YPT completion course" then click the little arrow and it jumps back to the same screen. BUT a little PDF button appears in the bottom left of the browser window and when I select that a tab appears with my YPT certificate. I can then print that. With that said I updated my YPY on 2/11/16 so maybe that makes a difference.

If you still have trouble PM me and we can exchange phone numbers in the morning and I can try and walk you through it.

Good luck.

Edited by King Ding Dong

One of the ladies at the Service Center has some sort of better access to the app than us rank-and-file types.  She say's she will mail me a certificate.  Also says she has been doing a lot of that lately.

I would hardly be surprised to learn that someone(s) with better skills can solve this problem, but it should not be this hard.  Ending the online app should result in a big button: "PRINT CERTIFICATE"

No to mention the substantive errors in the app.

• Upvote 1

I just tried to check and see if I could get it to work...as of now, my.scouting.org is down for maintenance, and myscouting.org (the old portal) gave me an error message.  It looks like they're up to something...

Not YPT, but Hazardous Weather. While I was able to see the certificate, I was unable to print it. I did a screen capture to show I completed it.

Regarding MY.SCOUTING.ORG, I will quote the Second Doctor, aka "the Hobo," "You've changed things. HHHMMM, I don't like it." 

It is not user friendly at all, and trying to get to some of the online training was a pain. Only good thing I can say is the search engine is better that scouting.org's one.

• Upvote 1

I d

One of the ladies at the Service Center has some sort of better access to the app than us rank-and-file types.  She say's she will mail me a certificate.  Also says she has been doing a lot of that lately.

I would hardly be surprised to learn that someone(s) with better skills can solve this problem, but it should not be this hard.  Ending the online app should result in a big button: "PRINT CERTIFICATE"

No to mention the substantive errors in the app.

I doubt a Tiger Cub would have any problems with it. :)

I actually think the problem is the way Chrome automatically minimizes the the tab with the certificate. I hit that printer icon five times before I realized I had 5 minimized tabs with certificates.

I'm old with old eyes and have my browser window up at 150-200% most of the time.  On the my.scouting.org site if your screen is set too large, some of the stuff on the page won't show up at all.  no scroll to the side or anything, just not there, cut off.  So I have to make it 100% and then look for missing stuff.  on training validation page, you highlight what you want to print, and use print preview, there isn't a print button.

• 4 weeks later...

Ugh I went through this exact thing last week! I even searched the help files online and there is a screen shot that shows the link to the "Print Certificate" under the Training menu and it is JUST NOT THERE!!

So I thought I would try again just now since I am not under the gun and I was able to get it using KDD's tips, but not that exact method. I did this:

1) Go to https://my.scouting.org/and login

2) Click on the big graphic on the right that says "New to Scouting? Click Here to Take Training"

3) Click on the tiny printer icon in the top box that says: "YPT Status: Expires xxxx" (the icon is all the way to the right)

For my version of Chrome with Windows 10, the certificate did NOT pop-up. It automatically downloaded to my downloads folder. And it's uglier.... but whatever.

Hope that works for you too. So frustrating to have to look in so many places. 

Not sure that I understand the concept of this being an app.  

To your completion cards - If you look under your completions tab, each one will pull up with a little printer icon.   In chrome and with adobe reader DC, the print icon pulls up the pocket card and certificate as a one page pdf in DC.  You may then print, save, etc.  Your set up may require different ways to pull up the download.  

Not sure that I understand the concept of this being an app.  

To your completion cards - If you look under your completions tab, each one will pull up with a little printer icon.   In chrome and with adobe reader DC, the print icon pulls up the pocket card and certificate as a one page pdf in DC.  You may then print, save, etc.  Your set up may require different ways to pull up the download.  

I don't claim to be the swiftest person around when it comes to things computeristic.\\I went to myscouting.org

I clicked on Training Validation, which seemed like the place to go.

I got:

BSA Training Validation Training Search Youth Protection Training*

The only thing to do seemingly was "search."  So I searched by my oldest ID number.

I got: "The search criteria used did not return any person record.  Please modify the search criteria."

So I switch the search criteria to User Name and got a little box that sadi I finished YPT on a given date in 2016.  No other buttons to push - anywhere.

I did a Screen shot of the page. Council said that was not satisfactory proof of what It said.

It should not be hard.  There should be a big button; "Print out certificate of completion of training."

The Help Desk person at National said ti was easier to mail me a certificate than explain how I could print one out.

Back when people made computers from kits (which I did), software came in two flavors: "operating" and "application."  If I am violating some rule by using "app" for application software, you cannot imagine how little I care.

The search criteria used did not return any person record.  Please modify the search criteria.