Something to give in place of badge at graduation?

Then present the 8 completed awards with all due fanfare, and when the others finish, have another ceremony with equal celebration.  

I'm obviously missing the point.

The boys that work with our program will be awarded by our scouts at a ceremony involving just our boys. Boys coming to our troop without AOL will cross over through the various packs as they have always have done.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So step up?   If you have time to post on an internet message board, you have time to help your son cut some holes in a cardboard box (bean bag toss) and learn to tie simple balloon animals.  Invite

In my area we begin in late August or early September, but usually we have summer activities going on from June-August. The official "Scouting Year" beings in late August with school. Rank work runs f

Need a Standing Ovation emoticon!  Yes "Do your Best" but you'e going to earn it !

"It is important thus, to remember that in the end, a badge recognizes what a young man is able to do and how he has grown. It is not so much a reward for what he has done.  It is instead, more about the journey"

Guide to Advancement

"Cub Scouts—even those of the same age—may have very different developmental timetables. For this reason, advancement performance in Cub Scouting is centered

on its motto: “Do Your Best.†When a boy has done this—his very best—then regardless of the requirements for any rank or award, it is enough; accomplishment is noted. This is why den leaders, assistants, and parents or guardians are involved in approvals. Generally they know if effort put forth is really the Cub Scout’s best.

In the same spirit as “Do Your Best,†if a boy is close to earning a badge of rank when the school year ends, the pack committee, in consultation with the den leader and

the Cub Scout’s parent or guardian, may allow him a few weeks to complete the badge before going on to the next rank. Earning it will give him added incentive to continue

in Scouting and carry on and tackle the next rank."

Scouting.org

• Upvote 1

I'm taking folks at their word that the new requirements were bamboozling.

Just tell them tiger was harder this year. They tried. But maybe next year they'll do better with Bear by diving in and getting busy starting in June!

I know it may be stressful to see a bunch of little boys not getting a patch because scheduling was nigh impossible.

But, as hard as it is for you all. It will be harder on national when they don't sell as much bling as expected. We can expect THAT reduced revenue stream will lead to a correction in a few short years.

Wow, interesting debate! Thanks for all the feedback  :)

Especially thanks to meyerc13 for explaining the situation so perfectly! This is exactly where we are at except add that 40% of our Pack joined up on School Night for Scouting in Sept so we had that added headache of trying to get them caught up. The boys did a great job showing up and giving it their all throughout the year. The adults dropped the ball repeatedly due to 3 brand new den leaders, the new program, a Cub Master who put off planning all year, and parents who did very little outside of den meetings. 

For the record, I held a planning meeting for the committee in April of last year and I clearly remember pouring over that 100+ page .pdf trying to figure out where requirements overlapped so we could put events for the Pack on the calendar. I made spreadsheets and searched the web for advice, but I was focusing on outings and camp-outs. I missed the carnival, planting a garden, and all the Web things that take 30 days. I missed just about everything that said "share at a Pack meeting" or do with your den (partly because I was overwhelmed and partly because I expected the den leaders would step-up eventually -- there's only so much one person should reasonably be expected to do). In Feb. I realized my own kids were 5%, 17%, and 33% finished so I took it upon myself to get them up to speed. I just proclaimed our family a den and their homeschool co-op our Pack. After Feb. our real Pack meetings consist only of Pinewood Derby, Spring Camp-out, and Graduation. Not exactly conducive to showing off your engineering blueprints or animal care poster.

I will say our Tiger was fine! He was done in December  :)   My biggest concern is for the other Web II (besides my son) who didn't finish one whole requirement all year due to chronic illness. It was his first year in scouting and he really did try his best. He is moving out of state next month so extra time really wouldn't make a difference... I just was hoping for ideas like a printable certificate or one of those cute altered candy bar wrappers or something. I don't believe in giving a trophy to everyone, but this is a graduation ceremony. All boys are moving on to the next level regardless, so I think each one should get something to commemorate the year and the work they did. None of them were slackers. Didn't mean to spark a whole ethical debate!! But I do appreciate all the thoughts.

• Upvote 1

Exactly. Let them learn early that better preparation will yield better performance.

@@heat4212, how much is left to do? Is there any reason you can't take the rest of May-August to get this all done and THEN give them their ranks?

Actually a lot of boys muscled through a ton of things this past week (weird how quickly 30 days goes by!!   ;)  )

I thought the cut-off was June 1st. I guess I'll let families know that's it's a possibility to finish up by August. We don't meet as dens over the summer (just one fun Pack event per month to keep in touch). I suspect the parents who did nothing for their kids during the year will continue doing nothing over the summer, but maybe some will surprise us. 

Really though we have a nice graduation tradition where every kid gets on stage, the parents present them with their rank badge, and then we take a family pic. I am just thinking what do we do in that moment for those kids who aren't getting a badge? A certificate? A homemade plaque? Is there some generic badge at the scout shop we can buy for their brag vest to commemorate the year? That's the kind of ideas I was going for. I wasn't trying to figure out a way to give them badges they haven't earned!

Edited by heat4212

I've watched this thread ramble on for 4 pages now.  So I'm going to point out the elephant in the room.  There are some boys that have earned their award in Cub Scouting and some who haven't.  So, how's about giving the awards to those who have earned them and a pep talk about stepping up their game in Scouting to those who didn't.  If they don't learn from their mistakes they are simply going to repeat the process until it hits a point of real pain and disappointment, like a job advancement opportunity.  One is only perpetuating the problem by giving into the gimme, gimme, gimme attitudes of today's entitled children.  They have learned self-esteem and self-importance, but have totally missed the lesson on self-respect.  Scouting is a learning process.

I've watched this thread ramble on for 4 pages now.  So I'm going to point out the elephant in the room.  There are some boys that have earned their award in Cub Scouting and some who haven't.  So, how's about giving the awards to those who have earned them and a pep talk about stepping up their game in Scouting to those who didn't.  If they don't learn from their mistakes they are simply going to repeat the process until it hits a point of real pain and disappointment, like a job advancement opportunity.  One is only perpetuating the problem by giving into the gimme, gimme, gimme attitudes of today's entitled children.  They have learned self-esteem and self-importance, but have totally missed the lesson on self-respect.  Scouting is a learning process.

LOL I don't think this is the elephant in the room... I think you have made your view very clear! And I don't disagree with the concept that not every boy should get an award just for showing up. We've never handed out a badge, pin, or patch that wasn't signed off on (sure, the parents have probably fudged things tons of times but that's on them). Boys have gone without at many a pack meeting or event (such as Pinewood).

But this is a graduation. Do the boys that don't finish their requirements get held back? Do they have to stay a Bear until they do a carnival? No. They get to walk across the stage and join the next rank. They get to graduate. So they DID earn something. Not a badge, not a pin, not an award, but by showing up all year and choosing to continue they have earned something.... even if it's just a new title. I just want to give them something that sends the message, congrats, you are a "Whatever" now!  To me the badge is like the rope or cord on the graduation gown. It's a distinction and an honor, but at the end of the day it's not necessary to graduate and move on. 

Let me ask this... does it bother you when scouts are awarded their scarf and slide for the next rank at graduation even if they haven't earned the badge from the previous rank? I doesn't bother me.... But this year we can't afford to do that since membership increased so much (those dues won't be paid until the fall). So whatever we hand out is a stand-in for the scarf and slide. We are not giving them an award they haven't earned. Just recognizing that they are graduating and moving on.  

I don't think there is anything wrong with that.  --Hey... maybe I will just hand them a picture of a scarf and slide!!  ;)

Edited by heat4212
  • Upvote 1

You speak of separate adventures, but why are you separating them?  They can and really should be done altogether if you can.  These are all outdoor adventures, cant have camping unless your cooking. 

Am I missing something ?

I'm not saying we are separating them, I'm saying that a Bear has to do all of those things to complete a single required Adventure (which happens to be the one Adventure most of the kids in our Bear den are stuck on).  In Webelos, you would earn 2-3 require Adventures for doing the same thing.  You don't have to take my word for it, look at the requirements (they are online).  Webelos is easier than Bear.  It makes no sense, but it is what it is.

So the requirements were available but the "how to" guide books were not available until May last year? So folks had all summer to plan how to attack the requirements during 2015-2016 with a September start date?

But Cub Scouting is supposed to be a year round program.  Waiting until September or October to hold a camp-out is what put a lot of units into the mess they are now in.

I'm not saying we are separating them, I'm saying that a Bear has to do all of those things to complete a single required Adventure (which happens to be the one Adventure most of the kids in our Bear den are stuck on).  In Webelos, you would earn 2-3 require Adventures for doing the same thing.  You don't have to take my word for it, look at the requirements (they are online).  Webelos is easier than Bear.  It makes no sense, but it is what it is.

Yes, Webelos is much easier than Bear for sure! I mean, you could probably figure out a way to dumb down those Bear things, but I made the mistake of showing our Bear den the carnival requirement and just asking them to brainstorm. Within 5 minutes they had planned a dunk tank, wooden ticket booth, striped tents, ball pits, and the works. Maybe they meant for us to just paint faces and play some bag games on the lawn, but as written, it's a monumental task! Webelos are just instructed to make a fitness course with some "obstacles". Took one den meeting.

Also for some reason Bears have to plan and cook two different meals (one with the den and one outdoors... so neither is simple). Webelos just have to plan and make one meal for their family. My kids are Wolf, Bear, and Web II and my husband and I were Web I co-leaders, so the requirements are all very fresh in my mind!!

But Cub Scouting is supposed to be a year round program.  Waiting until September or October to hold a camp-out is what put a lot of units into the mess they are now in.

Then why is the big national recruitment push (School Night for Scouting) in Sept? We got 8 of our 19 boys at that event. If we relied on the stuff we did over the summer, then those 8 boys (over 40% of the pack) would just be out of luck. That seems like a great way to turn off the new people! Seems like ranking up should happen August 31st if they seriously want us to be able to plan for summer activities helping fulfill requirements. 

• Upvote 1

@@heat4212, the picture of a scarf and slide sounds like a great idea! Make it part of a letterhead. In it, thank the boy for adding to the life of his den and pack in his current rank. Invite him to start working on his next rank as soon as possible!

• Upvote 1

Agreed.  Some boys in my Den may get their first lesson in winning and losing from me.

Way way back in 1975 my first grade class had a turkey drawing contest for Thanksgiving.  Of course, my turkey was the best! I'll never forget him; a beautiful tom turkey on yellow construction paper. My turkey would win and that's what I told everybody in class who would listen.

I don't remember who won, we had 1st 2nd & 3rd place, but it wasn't me.  I cried and cried!  Two young teacher's aides (they were high school girls & I think they judged the contest) came and sat beside me and explained that even when we do our best, we don't always win. I was over it by the end of the day.

I owe it to them to pay the lesson forward. If Millennial Mom gets mad, chews me out and pulls her boy from the Pack, well, at least I did the right thing.  A Scout is brave, right? 

• Upvote 1

I may not have been in Cub Scouts as a WDL for 20+ years, but I do know that the program has not changed that much.

First of all there are NO RANKS in Cub Scouts.  There are AWARDS.  One does NOT NEED TO GET THE TIGER award before working on his Wolf award.  If the boy doesn't do the work he doesn't get the award.  It means nothing towards the next year of Cubbing.  Do better next year....

Secondly there is no such thing as GRADUATION in Cub Scouts.  They have a year to earn an award and if they don't they simply go on to the next year.  Nothing more, nothing less.  AOL is the highest AWARD in Cub Scouting, not the highest RANK. 

Once a boy either reaches the age of 11 or has been awarded the AOL age of 10 he simply joins a Boy Scout troop.  WOW, did anyone realize that an 11 year old with no Cub experience can simply walk in off the street and be a Boy Scout?  What a radical concept!!!  That person wouldn't even have gone through any pomp and circumstance of a bridgey kind of thingy.  Poor boy, his ego must be crushed!

The more hype the adults project on the boys the more pain they will inflict with their "OH WOW!" ceremonies.  Cut out the hyped pageantry and quit making a big deal with the acquisition of outside bling.  Instead celebrate the inside accomplishments of each boy.  He did his best, that's all that counts.  If he didn't do his best, no amount of bling or awards or ceremonies is going to cover that up inside the boy's feelings.  Stroke his self-esteem, but it does nothing for his self-respect.

I whittle in my spare time.  I hand out little wooden trinkets when I deem fit to do so.  It has nothing to do with advancement, it has nothing to do with any written requirements, it's just some little token I have carved to present to a boy who "just needs" it.  We all know who those boys are.  It is surprising how many of those little wooden things end up on the display tables of Eagle Scouts at their ECOH's.  They are totally non-scout, mean nothing to anyone except the scout and his SM.  The Eagle and I are the only ones who know what that trinket really means.