Something to give in place of badge at graduation?

Its just Cub Scouts.  Do Your Best.

Then why even have requirements? Seriously?

Do Your Best means to give your best in completing the requirement. It does NOT mean you get the requirement counted as complete if you don't even TRY it. You cannot Do Your Best if you don't even ATTEMPT the requirements.

But hey, trophies for everyone!!! :rolleyes:

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So step up?   If you have time to post on an internet message board, you have time to help your son cut some holes in a cardboard box (bean bag toss) and learn to tie simple balloon animals.  Invite

In my area we begin in late August or early September, but usually we have summer activities going on from June-August. The official "Scouting Year" beings in late August with school. Rank work runs f

Need a Standing Ovation emoticon!  Yes "Do your Best" but you'e going to earn it !

But hey, trophies for everyone!!! :rolleyes:

We had a trophy for the slowest PWD car. There was always one that never crossed the finish line. Now the big problem was the year we had Two not cross the line, but we only had one trophy. My suggestion was to cut it in half. :)

What lesson does it teach for boys who attended and participated all year not to receive recognition due to the failings of the adults?  Make them cry at the year end ceremony, that'll help the membership numbers for next year.

Do Your Best. 

What lesson does it teach for boys who attended and participated all year not to receive recognition due to the failings of the adults?  Make them cry at the year end ceremony, that'll help the membership numbers for next year.

Do Your Best. 

What lesson does it teach them when you reward them for something they didn't do...AND THEY KNOW THEY DIDN'T DO IT?

How about discussing with them why they did not get the rank because they did not do the work ("We still have work to do but we will get it done.") and then discuss the virtue of patience (wait until we actually do the work) and the reward that comes with having TRIED instead of being given something they DIDN'T try.

Again, Do Your Best means you actually have to TRY the requirement, not skip over it and SAY you tried. If you are such a proponent of doing one's best, you have to try the darn thing first.

Full stop.

Edited by Krampus

Do Your Best.

The failings of the adults line made me think. I am leaning toward your side now. The adults did set the schedule and failed to see they were slipping behind and step things up. IF the boys truly did participate at a high level I would be tempted to award it and chalk it up to inexperience with the new program. That or just get it done this summer like others suggested.

Really?  1st and 2nd graders know they didn't do it?  Have you ever asked a Cub Scout what they did to earn one of the badges on their shirt or loops on their belt? 

You think counseling and pencil pushing is the answer?  Once these boys hit Boy Scouts, and have seven years to grow, mature, and develop to earn each rank and requirement, they can take ownership of the process.  But half of the boys in my Den can't read their handbook yet. 

They tried to earn the Wolf Badge.  Good enough.

But "Do Your Best" means to do your best while COMPLETING the requirements.

It does not mean simply attempt to complete them all, but hey, if you don't award the rank anyway.

That's the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality. 

Need a Standing Ovation emoticon!  Yes "Do your Best" but you'e going to earn it !

• Upvote 2

Really?  1st and 2nd graders know they didn't do it?  Have you ever asked a Cub Scout what they did to earn one of the badges on their shirt or loops on their belt? 

You think counseling and pencil pushing is the answer?  Once these boys hit Boy Scouts, and have seven years to grow, mature, and develop to earn each rank and requirement, they can take ownership of the process.  But half of the boys in my Den can't read their handbook yet. 

They tried to earn the Wolf Badge.  Good enough.

Yes, when you are trying to teach honesty and hard work, you're darn right you kids know what they've done and what they have not. Especially when you take the time to sit down with them and review it.

Of course, as Akela you have a requirements to ALSO "Do Your Best" and be honor-bound to at least try. To award something without trying is called stealing. It is dishonest. So even if you haven't bothered to sit down with your Scout and review such concepts, you as an adult should hold yourself to them.

But again, by all means, let's give him something he did not earn. We will see how that lesson serves him as he grows up.

I'd expect more from a parent.

But half of the boys in my Den can't read their handbook yet. 

I started as a Tiger Leader, 8 boys and with determination and doing it over and over again everyone of them were able to recite Oath & Law!  So this "Oh they are just 1st graders" crap is for the birds.  Unless there is a developmental issue with the kid he doesn't get Rank until it gets recited to me!  Period

Edited by JasonG172
  • Upvote 1

Do Your Best. 

It teaches boys and their parents that there are different rules and requirements for some people. That excuses can replace requirements so why bother doing the work, it is the adult's/teacher's/coach's fault.

They bring this entitlement attitude to Boy Scouts. The adults should plan the outings, better the troop should be adult run! No scout should have to call a MBC, lets set up a merit badge university. Not enough campouts for camping and cooking requirements well that is the adults fault, sign it off. Heh I need an Eagle Advisor to do my project!

Seen it, hate it.

• Upvote 1

And the membership numbers continue to drop.  But at least the ones who stay can recite big words in 1st grade and manage perfect attendance.

This is Cub Scouts.  Do Your Best.

And the membership numbers continue to drop.  But at least the ones who stay can recite big words in 1st grade and manage perfect attendance.

This is Cub Scouts.  Do Your Best.

If the people leaving are doing what you are doing, then I can live with lower numbers. I'd rather have kids that don't feel a sense of entitlement and do the work, than have a bunch of kids who got something they didn't earn. 

Neater_9975.png

Edited by Krampus
  • Upvote 2

You've noticed, hopefully, that I'm limiting my arguments to the Cub Scout level, right?  Tigers?  Wolves?  Bears?  Why are you holding 2nd graders to the same expectations as middle schoolers?  When all this should be fun, not a hard-nosed drill.

Keep it Simple, Make It Fun, Do Your Best.

You've noticed, hopefully, that I'm limiting my arguments to the Cub Scout level, right?  Tigers?  Wolves?  Bears?  Why are you holding 2nd graders to the same expectations as middle schoolers?  When all this should be fun, not a hard-nosed drill.

Keep it Simple, Make It Fun, Do Your Best.

Better question: Why are you awarding stuff to kids who didn't even ATTEMPT to do a certain requirement?

It does not matter their age. When you lower your expectations of kids they will perform to the lowered expectations.

It can all still be fun....and properly earned.

They attempted the Tiger Badge.  Why is it such a big deal?

I expect them to have fun, and to come back next year proud of their achievements and ready for bigger challenges. 

Do.  Your.  Best.