Something to give in place of badge at graduation?

This new program was rough on us and we have quite a few scouts who did NOT earn their rank badge. The boys all showed up and participated at den meetings, but we realized WAY too late that meeting only twice per month was not enough to get these new requirements done (especially Bear... what's up with Bear?!?!) and we had a big surge in membership in Sept (which means they missed everything we did at our summer camp-out and Day Camp). 

Anyway, I want to recognize the hard work these kids put in at graduation even though they won't be getting their badges. What do you all do? This is the first time in my 4 years with this Pack that a kid (much less several) did not earn his badge.  

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So step up?   If you have time to post on an internet message board, you have time to help your son cut some holes in a cardboard box (bean bag toss) and learn to tie simple balloon animals.  Invite

In my area we begin in late August or early September, but usually we have summer activities going on from June-August. The official "Scouting Year" beings in late August with school. Rank work runs f

Need a Standing Ovation emoticon!  Yes "Do your Best" but you'e going to earn it !

IIRC the scouts can have more time to complete their rank, as long as they don't start working on the next rank.

An answer to your question though.  Scout Socks!  Their hat or neckerchief / slide for the next level.  Kind of depends, some packs include that in their dues and do it already.

If you feel compelled to give something, let it be of nominal value and of practical use, like a collapsible camp cup.   I'd recommend it be given to all, and not just the non-badge earners.

Edited by desertrat77

Hold a special Saturday day at the park and crank out as much of the stuff as you can,

then go til the last minute working to try to finish the rank

send a list home with parents to see what they can accomplish.

Cub Scouts move up to the next rank in BSA scoutnet records automatically on June 1st for traditional units.

Packs could probably continue along to finish up a few stragglers up til the point you want to count the summertime activities for the NEXT rank.  So maybe July 1st or some other date.

Then graduate them to the next rank and give them the book, hat, necker and/or slide for the next rank so they'll be looking toward new adventures and not being sad about old incomplete adventures.  Maybe make them a leather book cover (let them help) or a book mark for the new rank.

Edited by 5yearscouter

Scouts is not like Little League where everyone gets a trophy. The boys understand this, the adults once did.

Exactly. Let them learn early that better preparation will yield better performance.

@@heat4212, how much is left to do? Is there any reason you can't take the rest of May-August to get this all done and THEN give them their ranks?

Sorry @@JasonG172 sarcasm is not allowed outside the I&P section.  KDD is known for his sincerity on any and all subjects.

One has to remember in Cub Scouts, there are no RANKS, only AWARDS.  Not every boy needs to earn every award.  I have also learned that a lot of the problems with the boys not receiving their awards is a result of 1) the program as delivered by the DL, 2) the boys' attitude, and 3) the parents' involvement.  It takes all three to make it happen.  I am grinding away on getting a handful of boys their AOL before crossing over into my troop.  This weekend with 8 boys will determine a lot of who gets it and who doesn't.  I inherited this situation in January so I have had only 5 months to pull it off.  34 boys were offered the opportunity, and at the present time 8 are on track to get it.  Of those 34 I'm thinking there are a few who have parents pencil whipping things in the background, and hopefully some are getting the award through their dens/packs.  There are three troops in the neighborhood vying for these boys so I'm not in the loop, but I do know there are a lot of boys not getting the AOL but who will still go on to Boy Scouts.

It's "Do Your Best", not pound paperwork for every little achievement.  Award the ranks if the boys did their best to complete them, and move on to the next year.  Its not Eagle, for gosh sakes.

It's "Do Your Best", not pound paperwork for every little achievement.  Award the ranks if the boys did their best to complete them, and move on to the next year.  Its not Eagle, for gosh sakes.

But "Do Your Best" means to do your best while COMPLETING the requirements.

It does not mean simply attempt to complete them all, but hey, if you don't award the rank anyway.

That's the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality. 

• Upvote 1

Stosh has the answer here.   

In BOY Scouts, it is (theoretically?) up to the boy to pursue his rank/award.   If he has the gumption (there's a word for you) he will ask for opportunities to do so.  The Troop (boys?) will act to provide those opportunities.

In CUB Scouts, it is the adults/parents that must present the opportunities and provide the expectations for the boy to match.  No expectations? No opportunities?  How's the boy going to meet the requirements? 

Rare is the Cub that will go to his Den Leader/Parent/CubMaster and ask "when are we going hiking/to the Fire Station/build the bird house/practice first aid so I can pass this requirement?"   Some might,  I wish them well.   Those will be the exception, in this age, not, I fear,  the usual.  Most will wait for the ADULT to make it happen.  Then, later (if the boy is lucky) , the Boy Scout leader will have to convince the boy that , yes, you CAN make that choice for yourself. 

See you on the trail....

Hey leather work is a merit badge and a lifelong hobby. It's not "just crafts".

Someone on here used to have a saying (paraphrasing) "The never ending nightmare of indoor crafts called Cub Scouts". Was it Kudo?

KDD is known for his sincerity on any and all subjects.

I take offense at that!

Edited by King Ding Dong
  • Upvote 1