I want proof.

:)  I live 30 miles from the camp.  My potato plants, my grapes, the iris and my sumac trees out front of the house were wiped out,  The Mrs. did save her herb garden by covering it.  My neighbor was livid in that he took a chance that we were going to have an early summer and he took a big hit in his garden.  I normally don't put my garden in until Memorial Day Weekend. 

I do remember a couple of Mothers' Day Weekends growing up that we went out in the morning and built a snowman.  It had snowed enough once to collapse the back of my pup tent and bend on of the awning poles on Dad's camper awning.

Our troop has military sleeping bags and all the boys were required to use one for the weekend.  We knew it was going to be cold.  Personally, I heard more whining out of the adults than I did out of the boys.  "My feet were frozen!!"  "Did you wear wool socks?"  "Heavens no, I can't sleep with anything on my feet!!!"  "Hmmmm, I see."  :)  "I was freezing all night long."  "Did you put your extra blanket under you?"  "No, the cot was very comfortable."  "Okay, then.  Hey, everyone, coffee's ready!"

In this part of the country at this time of year, one can expect just about anything.

The really funny thing about it was the National Weather Service put out an Extreme Weather Warning for the late frost forecast.  It is kinda hard to take those gov'ment people seriously anymore.

Okay, okay, okay...!!! DANG I'm a little slow this afternoon.  It was supposed to be <32oF!!  :)  I have no idea why my spell checker didn't catch that.

Edited by Stosh
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All-purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment specifically the Field Pack - 8465-001-6480 - medium on a frame.  I've found the Medium A.L.I.C.E. can do double duty as a weekend backpack and a

I think I scared off Youngest from backpacking. Don't know what happened between when The family left for their trip, and when I met up with oldest, but he doesn't want to carry everything on his back

To which your family graciously declined their offer and slept outside where the adventure is....??????   I just took my Webelos AOL candidates out on their overnight camping adventure and woke up t

Getting back on track. I'm a REI member, and their sale start tomorrow. Since the Oldest, who is 12 and still growing like a weed I might add, I'm thinking about getting this pack for him:

https://www.rei.com/product/895597/osprey-volt-75-pack

What do you guys think? I like the weight, and really like how the torso fit goes up to 23".  And yes, he's at 17" already!

Getting back on track. I'm a REI member, and their sale start tomorrow. Since the Oldest, who is 12 and still growing like a weed I might add, I'm thinking about getting this pack for him:

https://www.rei.com/product/895597/osprey-volt-75-pack

What do you guys think? I like the weight, and really like how the torso fit goes up to 23".  And yes, he's at 17" already!

When you are there, check out the Granite Gear Blaze : https://www.rei.com/product/824361/granite-gear-blaze-ac-60-pack

It is under 3 pounds and adjustable.

Just thought I would send a reminder, REI has their big sale this weekend.  ;)

Go spend that paycheck without the other half finding out. :cool:

I've done that before, too.  How many times have you been married?  :)

I've done that before, too.  How many times have you been married?  :)

I introduce my current wife (also my first) as "my first wife". Been married long enough that she laughs at that...then goes shopping to get back at me.

• Upvote 1

My wife is a knitter and quilter..... she doesn't dare say anything about my camp gear.  :)  She's the real outdoorsperson anyway,  her tent is a lot newer and nicer than the one I've had for 20 years.  :)

Well we've had yet ANOTHER plumbing problem last nite. Thankfully plumber came out htis morning and fixed it. HOPEFULLY that will solve all the plumbing problems now. Looks like he's stuck with ALICE a little longer, and my dividend is going down the drain, literally.

...... As a matter of fact I set a new record for campouts.  After 45+ years of taking kids camping, I think this weekend was the first time I did not hear one word spoken in anger to anyone and no one complained about anything!  ......

finally remembered to pack your earplugs, did ya?

• Upvote 1

Actually off to REI to get some rain gear for the son for the weekend.  Wife keeps feeding him and he keeps growing.   :eek: Getting him the Mens Large -- so if he outgrows this, at least I can use it. 

I'm just gonna say, please don't buy your sons huge backpacks! The Alps Redtail 4900 is 80 liters. I have no idea why anyone would need or want an 80L pack unless maybe they were doing winter mountaineering and had to carry ropes, crampons, ice axe, etc. That Osprey was 75 liters. Again, that's huge! Those packs weigh a heck of a lot too. Would you really want to weigh your 12 year old son down with a 5+ pound pack?

There really isn't much of a reason to ever need more than 60L. Needing large, heavy packs is pure myth and should be avoided. REI really is doing a disservice selling these packs to the unknowing public. It's really sad. The pack manufacturers too.

Another thing, large packs tend to get filled up with more stuff which just means more weight to carry.

Here's something, I sewed my own backpack. It weighs only 9.5 oz. I've taken it on a five day backpack with all the food and gear I needed fitting in it just fine. Total weight at the start was maybe 27 lb. and that was with group gear I normally wouldn't carry.

If you want to enjoy backpacking with your family, then go light and avoid all this heavy stuff that will just turn them off from the activity.

• Upvote 1

80L = just under 3200 cubic inches.

A pretty standard school pack is 1800 cubic inches

Kelty "Kids" pack has just over 2000 cubic inches. (torso 9-14")

Kelty Yukon 48 pack (13-19" torso) is 2900 cubic inches

Kelty  Yukon Trekker 65 (16-22" torso) is 3950 cubic inches

All external frame so items can go below and above the pack.

The Eureka 30 degree Lone Pine sleeping bag is slightly over 1000 cubic inches