Backcountry ethical question - should you wear bright colors or earth tones?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not bothered by people with bright gear and clothing. I'd rather see their campsite, so as to not tramp through it. (or if it's a bunch of yahoos.) avoid them.    As a person with finite time an

I would not wear bright yellow during warm weather as it would likely attract more insects to me. I often wear bright safety orange and safety blue in woods.  LNT gets a little silly at times and when

In the back country, my goal is to limit interaction with other humans to the most rational and polite extent possible.   So it would not matter to me what color other peoples' clothes may be.   After

Posted Images

In case there is any interest, here is a nice paper on the dichromatic nature of spectral sensitivity in deer:

http://www.neitzvision.com/content/publications/1994-jacobs-electrophys_of_white-tailed_deer-jcompphys.pdf

One rule of thumb for nature is that if an animal has bright colors, there is a good chance that their species has color vision. If they are drab, they usually don't. This is not a strict rule because spectral sensitivity is highly variable but as the paper notes, most ungulates are similar.

Primates are unusual in our spectral sensitivity because most mammals don't see what we see. That said, strictly speaking, color doesn't actually exist. It is just a perception, the way we sense different wavelengths.

Edited by vumbi