Backcountry ethical question - should you wear bright colors or earth tones?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not bothered by people with bright gear and clothing. I'd rather see their campsite, so as to not tramp through it. (or if it's a bunch of yahoos.) avoid them.    As a person with finite time an

I would not wear bright yellow during warm weather as it would likely attract more insects to me. I often wear bright safety orange and safety blue in woods.  LNT gets a little silly at times and when

In the back country, my goal is to limit interaction with other humans to the most rational and polite extent possible.   So it would not matter to me what color other peoples' clothes may be.   After

Posted Images

... through the woods wearing a gilly suit might as well be wearing a neon sign.

Or playing capture the flag - to the astute. Approximately true conversation:

Guard: "That's scout x in his gilly suit."

Brother-of-x: "No it's not, it's just a boulder."

Guard: "I'm gonna tag him just in case."

B-o-x: "It's not him, and if you leave the prisoners will escape."

Guard: "If it is, he's gonna make a move on us."

B-o-x: "Here, I'll prove it with this rock."

X: "Ouch!"

Guard [upon arriving at adult's site]: "Um ... X is bleeding pretty badly. A rock hit his head because of his gilly suit. B-o-x is feeling a little nauseous."

Edited by qwazse

The State of Wisconsin is contemplating pink camo as appropriate for deer hunting season.   It is readily visible to humans and does address the encouragement of women to hunt.  However it is quite a different social stigma associated with it.  If you are female and show up without any beer at deer camp it might be okay.  But if you are a guy, you can't show up with enough beer to justify it.  PERIOD.

Same here. I can honestly say that topic has NEVER come up.

Now, I have had heated debates on packing your own poo. ;)

That's right !!!! To bury the tissue or pack it out.  I know there are extremes but lets find a comfortable middle ground.  If you do not prefer packing out your poop do not go to places that require it (LNT #1 Plan ahead and prepare)

That's right !!!! To bury the tissue or pack it out.  I know there are extremes but lets find a comfortable middle ground.  If you do not prefer packing out your poop do not go to places that require it (LNT #1 Plan ahead and prepare)

I draw the line at packing out my stuff. I consider it "leave no trace" if you, and the animals, can't find it.

I've got a Biologist friend that spends time with woodland critters. He says they avoid cat holes but seek out camp sites or dinning areas. Contrary to what some believe, even animals don't want your S. ;)

You know the thing is I got into LNT not because I am some TreeHugging, Greenpeace liberal that believe Global Warming is going to be the end of our Planet but I really believe like LBP claimed "Leave it better than you found it"  if we all do our part while we are out enjoying the wilderness we should never see any trash.  However it isn't us that's doing this its the average person.  I was at our local park in Memphis (Shelby Farms) and the son and I walked the lake trail and I should have brought a trash bag with me, it really is disturbing and sad. 

• Upvote 1

The Mrs. and I walk the dog in the evening.  Never try to take the same route twice.  Always have a pick-up bag for the dog.  Unfortunately there's not always enough room to pick up after Fido after picking up all the other garbage along the way.

My friend, I live in Texas. "Liquor, Guns, Ammo" is the state sign.

In the west part of the state it's "Liquor, Guns, Ammo, Steak". 

In the eastern part it's "Liquor, Guns, Ammo, Live Bait"

In Central Texas it's "Liquor, Guns, Ammo, BBQ" 

Along the coast it's "Liquor, Guns, Ammo, Fish"

Along the border it's "Espíritu, Armas de fuego, Munición, Tacos"

Edited by Krampus

1)  I have often wondered why there is no bright colored rain ponchos for sale.  Black, dark blue, dark green.   Rainy weather is by definition dark and drab. Why make it more so? And a bright color rain poncho would make it easier to not bang into someone in between camp and the latrine at night.

2 ) Pack out your poop? :  http://www.amazon.com/How-Shit-Woods-3rd-Environmentally/dp/1580083633

3)  Deer:   Around here, there have been seen deer stopped at the side of the road, waiting for the traffic to clear, look both ways and then cross.   This is the epitomy of evolutionary survival of the fittest.  Genetically enhanced, trained by their parents, deer. The ones that LEARN about traffic, will survive to procreate. 

4) Bright colors show dirt more easily.   Dark colors look more... unused?  Newer?  Less dirty inherently?   Is that a consideration?  Then too, dirty bright colored clothing shows a certain... experience?  Seniority?  Fun filled?

5)  Perhaps nudists do have it right.  Natural colors and all.....