Krampus asked, "Does the retailer offer protection of the transaction?" 

yes.  But treasurers from troops should do their own research.

That's odd that a third party offers protection. I suspect it is very limited protection.

Usually if a purchaser users a third party, with links to the purchasers bank account, and the purchaser gets hacked, the only liability the third party will refund is the amount of the transaction and NOT the money siphoned out of the bank account from the breech of the third parties transaction data.

I would advise against using a third party transaction aggregator like that. Even PayPal has limitations on how much you can get back if their transaction or data stores are hacked to reveal you bank account data.

We accept payments via our SOAR website in combination with PayPal. It's popular for the smaller stuff (say $30 to $50). We tack on a fee to cover the PayPal charge, so it isn't as popular with summer camp payments.

The gentleman who handles our checking account can barely do email, we're a medium size troop and I don't think we would save much time taking credit cards.  We would never get near 100% so we would always be processing checks.

Not sure about troop accounts, but I haven't physically deposited a check in my own account in about a year.  Take a picture on the phone, press the right buttons, write deposited on the check and put it in the file.