Mama Bear.....she's baaaack....

Hi all, just wanted to update you with the info that my son has completed his Eagle scout workbook. Looks pretty nice if I have to say so.   He will be taking it to have it signed off by the benificiary next Monday and then off to Scoutmaster.  Yayyyyy!!  Boy, is that a lot of work.  Now all he needs to do is his Live-it for NYLT beads, his life ambitions essay and his application.  Should be done by December... LOL.  No, really, I am hoping by fall he should have it all wrapped up.  Had his final Eagle merit badge counseled last evening.  Has 22 merit badges total with a possible 4 more on the way from summer camp.

He is happy that he now can see the end of that long dark tunnel of paper work.  Boy oh boy was it something else keeping him on task.  The reason I was rather prodding him is to make sure he can finish by December before all the requirements have to be re-done for ranks.

Just wanted to share the good news.

OH, ALSO, he and hubby seem to be turning the troop around a bit to be boy lead.  Scoutmaster finally started "talking" with son and telling him how he wanted the meeting plans wrritten up and such instead of texting.... gee, not rocket science to figure out face to face is better?  Scoutmaster even mention to hubby that son really does know what he is doing "somewhat" anyways for a 14 going on 15 year old.  He now runs the meetings himself AND the boys even listen to him.  I am just so proud and happy for both son and troop.  Can you tell?!

Have a great Tuesday.

Congratulations!

FYI, he wouldn't have to redo requirements for the ranks he's already earned ... only do any additional new requirements for the rank he's working on, which for Eagle there weren't any. But, if it scared him straight, nice work mom. :happy:

Sounds like if he keeps it up, he'll have one Palm to add three months after his conference.

But the really huge deal is that he's taking what he learned in NYLT to heart and earning the trust of his peers and his SM. :D

Edited by qwazse

Congrats to your son!

It always amazes me that the Eagles of today learn more about doing busy-work paper filing than they do showing leadership.  :(

I have my boys doing preparatory Eagle level projects all the time, they just pick one eventually to do the paperwork on.... That's kinda sad.

It always amazes me that the Eagles of today learn more about doing busy-work paper filing than they do showing leadership.  :(

I have my boys doing preparatory Eagle level projects all the time, they just pick one eventually to do the paperwork on.... That's kinda sad.

Our Council had a Friends of Scouting video they put together this year, and I kid you not, this is a quote from an Eagle Scout Camp Staff member they interviewed during part of it:

"...doing paperwork in general has become very easy through the amount of physical paperwork we have to do for the Eagle."

They put that in there right alongside all of the good stuff that Scouting does.  When I heard that the first time it was quite the facepalm moment.  I still cringed every time I was in front of an audience playing that video for them.  That's about 10 seconds of an interview that should have been left on the editing floor, albeit it is too true.  Somehow, "Join Scouting and learn to do paperwork" isn't a big selling point to me (or most people, I suspect).  Whoever thought that should be in the video probably is the same person who likes to read tour plans.

Congratulations! As far as paperwork, it does seem like busy work. However, it's not the worst thing in the world to learn how to do paperwork just as required. College professors and employers will not want you to "wing it", so I look at it as practice for the real world.