You don't want to hike up The Priest. ;)

https://virginiatrailguide.com/2009/06/17/the-priest/

I didn't want to last week and I didn't!  Nope, skip to the next section, thank you!  :)  I can see the views are spectacular, but these old legs just ain't gonna do that!

I did 84.7 miles finishing Shenandoah/Skyline Drive and started the Blue Ridge Parkway/George Washington-Jefferson National Forest.  Enjoyed every minute!

Edited by frankpalazzi
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It can be done.   Start here:  http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail   Each section of the AT is maintained by a local club.  The sections are defined in the ATC website.  It is natur

Some good advice here, I would add this: Pick your segments and resupply points carefully. As @@vumbi said, picking your segments wisely is important. Water and food re-supply are key. There are som

Fantastic view from Maryland Heights.

I was there 2 weeks ago, although I don't know much about the practicalities of hiking the AT. There were fresh signs announcing shelter closures for bear activity and noting that reservations had to be made for backcountry shelters. You're not supposed to just walk up to them and use them, which is how I thought it was done. Anyway, seems to me that topping off on information might be as important as topping off on water.

I was there 2 weeks ago, although I don't know much about the practicalities of hiking the AT. There were fresh signs announcing shelter closures for bear activity and noting that reservations had to be made for backcountry shelters. You're not supposed to just walk up to them and use them, which is how I thought it was done. Anyway, seems to me that topping off on information might be as important as topping off on water.

Shelter closures and reservations?  That's not customary!  If they were fresh signs, there must be some temporary issues on that section of trail, and this is a temporary measure.  Shelters are always "first come, first served."  What section of the AT did you see  this on?

Edited by frankpalazzi

Great Smoky Mountains National Park (Tennessee/North Carolina)

• Shelter Policy: Great Smoky Mountains National Park regulations require that you stay in a shelter. While other backpackers must make reservations to use backcountry shelters, thru-hikers are exempt. From Mar. 15 to June 15, four spaces at each A.T. shelter are reserved for thru-hikers. If the shelter is full, thru-hikers can tent close by. Only thru-hikers are allowed to tent next to shelters, so they are responsible for making room for those who have reservations in the shelters.

White Mountain National Forest/Appalachian Mountain Club (New Hampshire)

• Campsite Fees: Fees are charged at some Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC)-maintained campsites in the White Mountain National Forest, though all are available on a first-come, first-served basis. 

• Hut Reservations: A system of eight full-service huts offers meals and lodging. Reservations are strongly recommended during peak season. More information is available here.

Baxter State Park (Maine)

• Appalachian Trail Long Distance Hiker Permit: A free A.T. long distance hiker permit will be required of all northbound long distance hikers who enter Baxter State Park in 2016. Southbound hikers are not required to have a permit, but must follow existing regulations. Permits can be obtained at Baxter State Park Headquarters and Katahdin Stream Campground. Pre-registration for A.T. long distance hiker permits can be obtained at the A.T. Visitor Center in Monson, ME.

For more information, please visit the Baxter State Park webpage or refer to their announcement:http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/pdf/hiking/ATHikerRegistrationCardAnnounce_Final.pdf

• Thru-Hiker Campsite Fees: Those hiking the A.T. and walking more than 100 miles continuously on foot before entering the park are eligible to stay at The Birches site, but must still pay a camping fee. If the site is full, hikers must wait for space to become available.

• Non-Long Distance Hiker Campsite Fees: To camp overnight, a reservation is required and a fee is charged.

Shenandoah National Park (Virginia)

• Backcountry Permit: While there is no charge for permits, they are required of all backcountry travelers. The permit can be obtained at visitor contact stations during business hours. Permits for A.T. long-distance hikers are available by self-registration on the Trail at the park's north and south entry points. If you are planning your visit well in advance (allow two full weeks), permits are also available by mail from Park Headquarters. For more information, click here.

• Shelter and Hut Regulations: Two types of structures are near the A.T. – day-use (“sheltersâ€) and overnight-use (“hutsâ€). Camping at or near day-use shelters is prohibited. Huts are available to long-distance hikers (those spending at least three consecutive nights in SNP) as space is available. Tenting at huts is permitted in designated campsites; all huts within the park have campsites available.
  •  

Shelter closures and reservations?  That's not customary!  If they were fresh signs, there must be some temporary issues on that section of trail, and this is a temporary measure.  Shelters are always "first come, first served."  What section of the AT did you see  this on?

The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is where I saw the signs. The bit I hiked was around Newfound Gap, but the signs were at the Oconaluftee Visitor Center. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is where I saw the signs. The bit I hiked was around Newfound Gap, but the signs were at the Oconaluftee Visitor Center. 

A much more traveled AT hiker friend tells me that is sometimes done for safety, in the wake of high bear activity.  They're just looking out for hikers' safety.