For a few years now I have had a wild idea or a strange thought running thru my mind that has recently been brought to my attention by a different person. So I thought that I would put it out in the open and see if it such a wild idea or not.

I have always wondered why the Scouters don't have a camporee of their own with it being just the volunteers and the professionals and also not necessarily a district or even a council but the whole state possibly. It would bring together the adults from different councils with their ideas and ways of doing things and allow us as leaders and such to learn new ways of doing old items. I know it is a far fetched idea but I don't see why we don't have something like this.

Well that is the question and if I put it in the wrong area then I am sorry. But at the minimum I got it out in the open where I would be able to see what kind of response it brought.

Kelley

In a way what you suggest is done in many different forms across the country, usually on a council or council cluster level.

It has names like; Show and Do, University of Scouting, College of Commissioner Science, Pow Wow etc., as well as on a national basis at the Philmont Training Center in New Mexico.

One of the main reasons you do not see it done on a large scale more often is that it would require human and financial resources that would be better spent on direct service, programs and resources for the youth members we serve.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Great question, and a great idea. Except for one thing. Adults do not get along well when playing. A Camporee for adult leaders would require them to be equal and on an even playing field. 98% of us adults would be happy to have this playing field, it is the 2% that is spread throughout the nation that will not respond to this because they are way too busy trying to get someone out of their troop, district, or council. These leaders will not allow this to happen. They would have to play fair. Yeah Right!

ASM1

Our district has just such a camporee. Adult leaders only - it has been held every year for over 30 years. The adults from each troop form a patrol, or multiple patrols, come up with a name / flag / cheer / outfit.

There are standard boy scout events ( knots, fire, etc. ) as well as others that you would not find at a boy event ( axe throw ). There is a campfire, with skits and songs. Many scouters, that have left the district still come with a patrol from their new troops. Lots of ideas exchanged and a good time had by all

One of the biggest benefits I get from training is NOT the traiing proper, but the bonds I make from the fellow students and staffers. We share ideas and generally network as needed. Yes, some go to training just to "punch a ticket" but many go because of the comraderie and fellowship and the resultant learning experience such relationships foster.

I have to agree with other posters. We do in effect have many of these, but without the tents. The fellowship and exchange of ideas is very much a part of all the training that we do. When you look at almost any of our training, most of it could be accomplished in the time. The rest of the time is allocated to the exchange that you are looking for.

The other problem that I see is that something like this would become very competitive. Probably well beyond anything that you might see with the boys. Why go through all that effort and not have the kids there to see it?

This sounds like the Gilwell Reunion.

I always have fun when I go. This is a money maker for Gilwell Park and is a great way of getting the word out about new stuff from Scout Shops, along with program ideas / Changes.

But most of all it is just Fun.

Eamonn

For several years, I lead the Roundtable for our district. I would make sure that we had cookies, coffee, soda, and punch for everybody during each meeting. We had an opening, closing, and all of the good stuff in-between.

I would cook a stew or a gumbo or other new recipes occasionally. Selected leaders lead activities, announcements, songs, yells, and spotlight activities. There was always a parade of ideas, games, and things of interest. Afterwards, there was always the parking lot shuffle with the gripes, questions, and answers. This was done monthly for one and one half hours each time. I felt like it was good training and fellowship for all.

I miss those guys.

FB

Sounds great but frankly I do not have enough leisure time for that.

My method of keeping up is the Roundtable and visiting other Scouters at big camps.

and this forum.

I want to know how to be a better Scout Leader. That is how I have fun when not with my family and my job.